For your breed of choice

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
For your breed of choice, in your opinion, what is the greatest female producing bull and male producing bull? Pictures would be great if ya got em.

king.jpg

The old King bull is one of my favorites. I have a double bred King bull that I really like, he gives us the body and horn that we like for our breeding program. Of course we blend this blood with Butler to keep the horn genetics there too. I bought a King daughter in Missouri in September, I mentioned this on the thread about the older cows. I plan to breed her back to the double bred King grandson after she calves. King produced good thick calves and kept the horn on them. There's some other old bulls that I'm quite fond of as well, one of my favorite was Texas Ranger JP. I think going back to the old genetics and blending with the new ones is exciting, at least to me it is.

As for female production... I dont know about the greatest, but one that i think one of the top bulls for females is WR Trails. Produced well balanced, good-uddered females that were sound, muscular and very feminine. They also had solid horn growth with good character. Very few cull females and a lot of outstanding replacement and foundation females.

I would also through out there Sunrise Admiral, really some terrific daughters, including the best female in the breed. Also, our bull NP Redeemer's Redemption has produced some fantastic females... including some World Champions and Hall of Fame Champions.

As for bull production... I would say Texas Ranger JP has done the best of that in the history of the breed. Dont know if he would stand up to some of the bulls of today though. Another bull, in the early 90's that did a lot was Country Boy. Produced a lot of tremendous bulls. For today's animals/genetics... that gets tough... if i was buying a bull, today, who would i want a son of... i would probably go with a son of Sunrise Admiral. Good sound genetics, produced/produces world champions. Sons produce good females (i do have a female that is sired by and Admiral son). Sunrise Admiral produces really fantastic calves year in and year out, both female and bull.

Ryan

I think an argument could be made for Remitall Keynote 20X as the greatest sire of both bulls and females. But he would be my choice for the greatest bull producer in recent time.

nga20x.jpg

My choice for greatest female producer (recent history) would be DR Achiever 8403.

8403.jpg

I'd love to see thoughts of those that are familiar with the Line 1 Hereford cattle as what Line 1 bulls that they would consider the best bull and female producers.

George

Thanks George,... I must admit I am a bit excited to see what others favorites are for all breeds... Should be interesting.

I can think of several angus bull that I really think add to the breed. To produce females I like Traveller and Marriott. Some of the best cows I have ever owned.

I agree 100% with Frankie.

Angus. IMO, for both bulls and cows: N Bar Emulation EXT.

He'll go down in history as one of the greatest Angus bulls of all time.

I think going back to the old genetics and blending with the new ones is exciting, at least to me it is.
Roger- Going back to our discussion yesterday regarding close-breeding, the blending of older GOOD genetics is a significant way to strengthen desirable traits by concentrating the genes without overdoing it.

That is a great looking bull, by the way. Fine phenotype. THAT would be one that I would use Father-daughter matings.

DOC HARRIS

Frankie":2g6j3nz7 said:
Frankie- You are absolutely correct! That - in spite of the fact that he sired nervous, high headed progeny. But as far as Phenotype AND Genotype - he is tops!

DOC HARRIS

For angus I dont think I can pick between QAS Traveler 23-4, 6807, and EXT for daughters or bulls.

My biggest problem with EXT is the tendency to be high headed in nature.

But they all produce long, thick, well uddered, adaptable cattle

DOC HARRIS":1ibtlbkn said:
Frankie":1ibtlbkn said:
Frankie- You are absolutely correct! That - in spite of the fact that he sired nervous, high headed progeny. But as far as Phenotype AND Genotype - he is tops!

DOC HARRIS

Some may have been, but the heifer that we had here for a while that was 3 generations of EXT as the sire was calm as a clam, as was her mother and grandmother. Very small statured though.
That is the only experience I've had with EXT, but I'm also not into the black side of Angus.

dun

Jake":2qetono7 said:
For angus I dont think I can pick between QAS Traveler 23-4, 6807, and EXT for daughters or bulls.

My biggest problem with EXT is the tendency to be high headed in nature.

But they all produce long, thick, well uddered, adaptable cattle
The EXT sons and daughters that we have had have been very calm natured. The daughters are like Jake described; Long, thick and very good udders. Let me also say that they are excellent mama's.

I do believe as with any bull that is popular you will see that there will but nuts in the progeny group. We had one ext son that was goofy as a pet coon. Had daughters out of him that were just fine. I think alot of it is the gene mixes, ie. if put on certain cows the gene alleles that allow for predispostioned flightiness can appear more easily as compared when bred to other cows.

in the brangus breed the asnwer is simple
Transformer Of Brinks. He is the most dominant bull in our breeds history., then and now

nbar.jpg

I did an Internet search on N Bar Emulation EXT. For one thing, I was curious what the going rate for for his semen currently is. I did find one place where his semen was for sale at $30 straw, but I figured it was an old/outdated page. I also found an archived page where an individual was selling 10 straws for $100 a straw.

Anyone know what his semen is currently selling for? Is it still easily found?

George

P.S. The Hereford bulls that I posted still have semen available, but it is expensive. Keynote semen is available from Remitall at $2000 a straw in the US and $1000 a straw in Canada (figure out the logic in that!) and Reed currently has 16 straws of DR Achiever 8403 available at $100 straw.

Herefords.US":346wsqc3 said:
nbar.jpg

I did an Internet search on N Bar Emulation EXT. For one thing, I was curious what the going rate for for his semen currently is. I did find one place where his semen was for sale at $30 straw, but I figured it was an old/outdated page. I also found an archived page where an individual was selling 10 straws for $100 a straw.

Anyone know what his semen is currently selling for? Is it still easily found?

George

P.S. The Hereford bulls that I posted still have semen available, but it is expensive. Keynote semen is available from Remitall at $2000 a straw in the US and $1000 a straw in Canada (figure out the logic in that!) and Reed currently has 16 straws of DR Achiever 8403 available at $100 straw.

ABS doesn't have any EXT semen, but an ABS rep might know someone who has it in their tank and willing to sell. We sold some earlier this year for $100 a straw. I've seen it sell at auction for more. The Advantage Cattle site has a semen page; that may be the best place to get a current price on him. But just because someone is asking $300 doesn't mean he'll get it.

Thanks, Frankie. I was able to look up EXT's pedigree/EPDs on the AAA web-site, but I didn't see any way to see how many progeny had been recorded. Care to educate me on how to do that?

George

ABS doesn;t even have EXT on there short supply or discontinued list.

dun

Herefords.US":9eqvosu5 said:
Thanks, Frankie. I was able to look up EXT's pedigree/EPDs on the AAA web-site, but I didn't see any way to see how many progeny had been recorded. Care to educate me on how to do that?

George

I don't know that the number of progeny is available. He was the most used Angus bull for several years. Some years, he sired more calves than some other breeds registered, total. The latest sire summary shows milking records for well over 15,000 daughters from over 3,000 producers. Some of that 15,000 will be from the same cows. But considering that the majority of Angus breeders don't report AHIR data, I'd think he had that many daughters, at least. And if you figure that many sons, too... He was a breed changer.

Latest posts