Florida Bull Test Sale - Saturday 1/17/15

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn":10ql4jck said:
regcowman,
EPDs are a tool, not to be ignored but certainly not the end all be all. I personally put more faith in phenotype and actual performance than EPDs.. That being said good luck next year if you take bulls to Florida bull test, certainly not the ration if you think you are gonna light up the ultrasound machine or crush the scales.

Phenotype eh? Well you chastised a few of us who spoke about that.

You're welcome to put your numbers up, too.

jscunn":2wr1tnka said:
Well I am sure the folks at the Florida bull test can't wait.. if he has good epds he must be awesome.. :roll:

Here is a bull I sold recently...
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action...t_performAnimalSearch=T&animalNumbers=2779888

Breeder: 215864 - DAVIS RANCH LLC Original Issue: 2013-11-07
Contemporary Breeder:215864 - DAVIS RANCH LLC
AI Yes
Simbrah No
AI/Donor Approved as AI Sire

Birth 75
Weaning 686
Yearling 1191
US Wt 1170
US IMF 3.25
US BF 0.19
US REA 10.93

Pedigree
S S OBJECTIVE T510 0T26 2386486 BB PP
G A R SELECTIVE 2472158 PP
G A R 1407 NEW DESIGN 803 (9620652) PP
EDR LOADED DICE A 57 2779888 B PP
GW LUCKY DICE 187H 2002092 BB PP
EDR INTERCALARY 2424635 B P
BBM ROBERTA M88 2224825 P

Individual's Epd
Spring 2015 EPDs
CE Brth Wean Year MCE Milk MWW Stay Doc CW YG Marb BF REA Shr API TI
17.0 -1.8 63.2 103.7 13.2 25.0 56.6 8.3 29.2 -0.21 0.71 -0.027 0.69 171.6 83.6

TraitTrac
PCS - DNA or Blood typed; confirmed to sire only
GE - Genomically Enhanced
Information on DNA and Genetic tests
NH
Pedigree
G A R SELECTIVE 2472158 TF
EDR LOADED DICE A 57 2779888 TF
EDR INTERCALARY 2424635
DD
Pedigree
G A R SELECTIVE 2472158 TC
EDR INTERCALARY 2424635
CA
Pedigree
EDR INTERCALARY 2424635
AM
Pedigree
EDR INTERCALARY 2424635

Check the IMF Ultrasound on Lot 1 vs the one I put up -- no comparison

jscunn":19fowz14 said:
Well I am sure the folks at the Florida bull test can't wait.. if he has good epds he must be awesome.. :roll:

Here is a good article on that > http://beefmagazine.com/seedstock/epds-benefit-terminal-production-systems
Genomically Enhanced EPD's are even better -- I think really it is about being as transparent as possible, giving the buyer all the info we can, so that they can make an educated decision on their next purchase. The serious cattleman/woman is relying less and less on phenotype and much more on genotype (which drives phenotype and performance). In days gone by, the buyer only had phenotype to judge an animal -- those days are long gone and we all know that it isnt what's on the outside than drives performance, but rather whats on the inside (genetics) that drives performance.

Phew. So glad I know what the serious cattleman does now. I wouldn't have known without someone at your level of enlightenment sharing with us. Again, multiple people have asked for you to please also enlighten us with what your Enhanced EPD's actually equal in the flesh. Also, can you please tell us how serious cattleman use these universally objective numbers (fantasy world) in the actual, and very diverse, real world? In other words, please bring your top 1% blah blah up here and show me how they work in my operation. I'm really looking forward to it.

Reg Cowman,

Ahh IMF .. How about
8.12%

REA oh ok
15.2sq in.

Scan Wt
1338#

Age 370 days of age..

AAA Reg # 17451496
http://www.maifeldangus.com/herd-sires.html

I realize he was born in 2012 so that might be ancient history for you. Sent one to North Alabama Bull Test this year that scanned
IMF 7.02%
REA 16.0 sq in
scan wt 1303#
AAA#17799267

All Forage, Where did I ever curse phenotype.. It is all part of the package, a good bull or cow has it all EPDs, performance, phenotype, and above all structural correctness..

(edited to correct link)

Jscunn

Read your first post. Most of the Bulls in the video did not track. So wy is their a video if one cannot use it for judging interest? That is phenotype right?

Continue arguing with that tard

All Forage,
To me videos are alot like pictures angles, rough ground, and light can make bulls look better or worse than they are in real life..These bulls were unclipped and that can actually make alot of difference. I never said the bulls were perfect, too often there are people on here that throw alot of daggers without ever putting up videos or photos of there own cattle..

but yes I did say it.. :D

RegCowman":22kogb71 said:
Terrible EPD's on those cattle --sadly --I will send a few in 2015 --see if we cant raise the bar just a bit ]

Mr Davis, I've seen a sample of your "top 1% in the breed" and they prove that EPDs don't necessarily translate into a good phenotype.

On a lighter note. My wife and I met up with M5 at his place and had a great tour. He has some fine black calves and a nice herd. Then we headed to the bull sale, we ate lunch and my wife bought 2 cakes from the local FFA. There was 2 Hereford bulls and the rest were all black, kind of surprised at that. Met Jacob and his wife with 2 beautiful little daughters. Thanks for the great hospitality M5, and after supper at the Pond House restaurant I'm going to start my diet next week.

Highgrit, I was my pleasure and thank you. we are just simple folks and enjoy what we have . I will say their were some nice bulls at the sale. as we were coming home from the pond house we were reviewing the day and I remarked how much I enjoyed being able to spend it with 2 wonderful people. Y'all are good folks and am proud to call you my friend.

Simple folks that have it made and enjoy life. Hopefully one of these days my kids will have family land. Not everyone is able to live down the road from where they were born and raised. Then to have your Mom and Dad still living in that same house, you are blessed my friend.

It was nice meeting y'all fellas. Always nice meeting people behind the posts. It was a good test and sale and there was some really good bulls from end to end.

I looked him up on AAA --he isnt in ASA to measure apples to apples. I didnt find any Genetic defect data on him --he does have DD Carrier 1407 in his background. ASA has a program called the Carcass Merit Program where bulls that rank in the top 25% can be accepted. There are PBAN in this program, as well. What they do is semen is collected and distributed to co-operators that have better than average commercial cattle herds. They breed their commercial females to your bull and all data is collected from birth to harvest, so you get back more data on your bull in a real life situation, not just numbers from EPD's. Until this is done, in one of many different programs around the country; a bull is a prospect. Simmental and Simmental Influenced cattle will probably never catch up to PBAN in IMF. We have come a long way since 1985 though. Also -- we get no help from the Show Sector, as they aren't part of the Performance minded crowd -- what they do is bring the numbers down --constantly.

jscunn":1th5j3mo said:
Reg Cowman,

Ahh IMF .. How about
8.12%

REA oh ok
15.2sq in.

Scan Wt
1338#

Age 370 days of age..

AAA Reg # 17451496
http://www.maifeldangus.com/herd-sires.html

I realize he was born in 2012 so that might be ancient history for you. Sent one to North Alabama Bull Test this year that scanned
IMF 7.02%
REA 16.0 sq in
scan wt 1303#
AAA#17799267

All Forage, Where did I ever curse phenotype.. It is all part of the package, a good bull or cow has it all EPDs, performance, phenotype, and above all structural correctness..

(edited to correct link)

The reason you cant find genetic defect data on either bull is they arent considered at risk for any known genetic defect.
Neither bull is a carrier, the 1407 son Sydgen Corona is clean for DD.. and to answer you next question the Corona daughter was tested and is free of AM..

What is your love affair with Simmental EPDs, heck they are less reliable than Angus EPDs.. Less Data in the simmental database. His Angus EPDs are good but nothing special.. Strong in some areas weak in others..

The 2012 bull was HD 50K..It aint anything special, it does gets better everytime they recalibrate the 50K. The bull was used to clean up cows behind AI here and he only has half a dozen calves on the ground here, but he was exposed to ~70 heifers and cows last spring/summer in Iowa so plenty more to come. We will know how the bull will do in about 18 months when those spring calves start heading down the rail, but the calves at 60 days sure look the part. Long way to go..

M5 and Highgrit

Sure hate I missed the sale would have loved to chat with you guys in person! We did enjoy our trip to NWSS the weather in Denver was as near perfect as you could ask for while we were there. The cattle on the Hill and in the Yards were impressive. We watched the foundation heifer donated by 44 Farms sell for 75,000 she was a super nice heifer. Proceeds go to the Angus Foundation for educational programs and scholarships.

Now can you guys tell me a little more about the pond?

Gizmom

There's a restaurant close to Bainbridge GA. and it's called the Pond House restaurant. I had the smoked pork chops and they were the best. The restaurant is out in the woods and I didn't see a pond anywhere close by. But everyone's food was great, and well worth the drive. You sure have a couple of beautiful grand daughters there Mrs. Gizmon.

We will have to look it up when we are in the area, sounds like my kind of place. They are cuties, I think I am a bit partial of those Gilmore girls they have me wrapped right around those little fingers.

Gizmom

Jacob":15wuvx4d said:
Thanks jscunn,

We have lots 5,32 and 84 in the sale. I am happy with how each bull performed based on the genetics of each bull.

I watched the video and two of the ten that I picked was 5 and 32. What kind of prices did these bulls run, ballpark, or pm me if you would. ( I know the old saying of, "if you have to ask...", but I'm still curious) I didn't see a results for the sale

Latest posts