Florida Bull Test Sale - Saturday 1/17/15

Help Support CattleToday:

I will be there and HIGHGRIT is supposed to come. I told your mom I was going to get to you discount a bull for me since she was not there to supervise.

HAHA!!! you would have better luck with her when it comes to discounts!!! I look forward to meeting you so I can put a face with a name!!!

Well I watched the first 4 Bulls and not one covered their tracks. Seemed awkward and posty? Tilted pelvis? None seem to move very fluid.

We're looking forward to seeing y'all. I'm really looking forward to supporting the FFA at lunch, and supper at the Pond. AllForage, are the bulls waddling because their to heavy?

AllForage":fsw3wtex said:
Well I watched the first 4 Bulls and not one covered their tracks. Seemed awkward and posty? Tilted pelvis? None seem to move very fluid.
When I read this I thought you were probably being super picky but I looked through quite a number and I have to agree with you that a lot of them are stepping short - so many that I wondered about the footing or the feed or ?

Lot 69 is a 2cnd look bull. There is a spot where they all stutter step. It looks like an ant mound or something is tripping them up.

But there are more than one of the thick, deep bulls that is not walking well.

Real world scenario is those black bulls would be used on Brahman based females. You use one of the severely pinched heart girth bulls and you are doubling down on producing offspring that have no depth and or heart girth. Doc always talks about balance. Too many of those bulls would produce imbalance in southern herds.
257.1.jpg

It looks like it will be fun to see in person. Lot 62 looks like he would jump the fence and never look back the second you brought him home. haha

First of all good luck to Jacob tomorrow.

Secondly I love how quickly people can tear down bulls with 30 seconds of video.. thanks for putting it up. I think it is a good set of bulls that are not overfed. Are they perfect, heck no but neither is the bull in your pasture, or my pasture for that matter..

Terrible EPD's on those cattle --sadly --I will send a few in 2015 --see if we cant raise the bar just a bit
Z_21_GARP.jpg

Thanks jscunn,

We have lots 5,32 and 84 in the sale. I am happy with how each bull performed based on the genetics of each bull.

Well, even if you have no faith in EPD's those animals with better EPD's for the certain traits will more than likely out-perform those with lower EPD's.
Take Lot 1
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action...t_performAnimalSearch=T&animalNumbers=2849841
We can see by Ultrasound data that his Marb matches his EPD for Marbling --terrible
BF data matches his EPD's
REA data does not match his EPD data, but may have a lot to do with that terrible frame score.
His feed efficiency data is pretty bad which happens a lot with the Fleck influence cattle of yesteryear as Bold Future is.
We can see in his EPD's Terrible CE, BW, MCE and so on
8.3 Frame is terrible --he would have been popular in the late 70's when the Chi-Angus were popular. But his genetics kinda reflect the 70's.
Bulls are made by their Sire and Maternal Grand Sire and in this case we have Bold Future (MGS) who was great in 1990, but can you imagine the genetic change that has occurred in the last 25 years. Then we have the Sire a Son of Mo Better, which represents generations of poor calving ease low marbling your basic below average API and TI cattle. Not much good for keeping replacements and not much good for a terminal sire either --
On a positive note his Dam has a fairly good progeny report --looks like she has calved on time fairly well over the last 5 calves --although no data for 2014.
https://herdbook.org/simmapp/action...T&template=progenyReport&animalNumber=2417909
I think in this case a better understanding of EPD's would be helpful. If she raises a good calf -- put an embryo in her and stop breeding her to poor performers.

Yeah we may send a few down there --a lil far for us to come though. Since we are a member of FL Simm and FL Cattleman's we may send a Simm-influenced bull or PBAN that way ---- with some really good numbers:
Z_14_TOD.jpg

Maybe a PBAN

X_107_x_GARP.jpg

jscunn":38vpx5g5 said:
Well I am sure the folks at the Florida bull test can't wait.. if he has good epds he must be awesome.. :roll:

regcowman,
EPDs are a tool, not to be ignored but certainly not the end all be all. I personally put more faith in phenotype and actual performance than EPDs.. That being said good luck next year if you take bulls to Florida bull test, certainly not the ration if you think you are gonna light up the ultrasound machine or crush the scales.

Yes it is 2015, but it is the 2014 class selling -- today, I think it is.
Red Bull Breeder":2x0f9xb2 said:
It is 2015 isn't it?? Guess that lets you off the hook.
Good luck with that sale!

Here is a good article on that > http://beefmagazine.com/seedstock/epds-benefit-terminal-production-systems
Genomically Enhanced EPD's are even better -- I think really it is about being as transparent as possible, giving the buyer all the info we can, so that they can make an educated decision on their next purchase. The serious cattleman/woman is relying less and less on phenotype and much more on genotype (which drives phenotype and performance). In days gone by, the buyer only had phenotype to judge an animal -- those days are long gone and we all know that it isnt what's on the outside than drives performance, but rather whats on the inside (genetics) that drives performance.

jscunn":37mh13nc said:
regcowman,
EPDs are a tool, not to be ignored but certainly not the end all be all. I personally put more faith in phenotype and actual performance than EPDs.. That being said good luck next year if you take bulls to Florida bull test, certainly not the ration if you think you are gonna light up the ultrasound machine or crush the scales.

Latest posts