Feeder calf prices????

Help Support CattleToday:

Cucumber35":1yn97ryp said:
Sold a dozen at Vintage last night and did better than I thought I would especially on colored cattle and mostly bulls. Biggest at 775 brought $1.27 and had one at 715 bring $1.33. The rest were $1.20-$1.30 for 5-6wts and a couple dink 4wts brought $1.15. Pretty sure a few topped the sale but I won't brag until I verify the report. Either way I'm feeling pretty good about it and from what I've been seeing and hearing you won't find me complaining.

You did just fine I'd say.

Sold some heifers in Staunton, Va on friday. Couple dinks 3 wts that did $1.17 ; 2 - 4wts $1.25 and the rest in 2 groups of 8 and 7 that did $1.17 and $1.20. Better than we thought they would do, were hoping for 1.00 avg. Prices were up a tick from pre holiday, but the buyers were saying they had some orders this past week; but in general don't think they will go much higher.

There were also nearly 80 breds there, a couple of guys were overcrowded and just had to sell down, one said he wasn't going to have enough hay and just didn't want to buy any, one lost a couple of rented places. Heifers brought up to $1600 and they were pretty decent commercial animals. Some cows brought up to $1600 too, but there were a bunch in the $1000 range. We picked up some for $850 to $1100, most all in the solid mouth 6-8 yr old range, all confirmed preg at the sale. Got 2 for little over pound price, one old but very good shape, one 8 yrs +/- . Mostly in the 1100lb size but got 2 that were nearly 1500 lbs for $1000. ea. Don't usually go for such big cows but they are worth $750 @ lb price so we'll see. Got some old cows of our own that need to go, and still have to preg check some so may have a few more to cull there. Even if we just replace some opens with breds we will be ahead at the prices we paid. Didn't even know there were any breds to be sold, if we hadn't taken in a load of calves then we wouldn't have been there.

Harlon in Beef Mag called the bottom in the Jan issue - - - October 2016. :nod: Called fall of 2017 as $10/cwt higher than 2016.

The market timers waiting for $0.75 replacement quality heifer calves will have to be patient.

farmerjan":149bjta1 said:
Sold some heifers in Staunton, Va on friday. Couple dinks 3 wts that did $1.17 ; 2 - 4wts $1.25 and the rest in 2 groups of 8 and 7 that did $1.17 and $1.20. Better than we thought they would do, were hoping for 1.00 avg. Prices were up a tick from pre holiday, but the buyers were saying they had some orders this past week; but in general don't think they will go much higher.

That's how I felt walking in there. Anything over a $1.00 wasn't going to have me upset. Considering we got there late and sold at the very end I wasn't to thrilled as I was watching but apparently quality paid off this time. Wondering if I couldn't have picked up a few more pennies if they had sold before some guys had already left. Last one sold a few minutes after midnight.

Stocker Steve":37xieq7x said:
Harlon in Beef Mag called the bottom in the Jan issue - - - October 2016. :nod: Called fall of 2017 as $10/cwt higher than 2016.

The market timers waiting for $0.75 replacement quality heifer calves will have to be patient.
I agree. Stockers are costing me 25-35¢ more per lb now than they were in October, even for Herefords.

Cucumber35":103uyvgn said:
farmerjan":103uyvgn said:

That's how I felt walking in there. Anything over a $1.00 wasn't going to have me upset. Considering we got there late and sold at the very end I wasn't to thrilled as I was watching but apparently quality paid off this time. Wondering if I couldn't have picked up a few more pennies if they had sold before some guys had already left. Last one sold a few minutes after midnight.

Quality? Any bulls sold at a sale barn that aren't for slaughter, is pizz poor management or no management in my eyes.
But the price sure sounds good for those animals with that much risk.

Latest posts