Feeder futures

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Feeder futures for some months are down today over $5. Corn up, soybeans up, crude oil up.
Lots of problems in the US and worldwide may ruin the calf market for a while. Livestock Risk Protection looks like would have been a great idea several months ago. Some months are 16 cents less now. That would have paid way more than the cost.
I listened to some advice saying no reason to buy protection this year.. Glad im only a small producer. Even trading gets harder as prices are falling.

Kenny all i can think is the corn is going up. Comparing historical data, there are always a few dips before the big spikes. Let me get some more cattle bought and bring on the spikes!

Is the article saying they think there is going to be a shortage of cattle to be bought and put on feed?
Thats the way I read it. From the article
The industry will add pounds to replace head count and distribute the industry further out in time.

There already seems to be less cows for sale. I noticed it when looking for one and dones last fall. Where the sale barn used to have three large pens of bred cows, they would only have two and sometime just one. To many "not bad" older cows, pairs with big calves, and anything open, short or medium bred bigger than 1300 lbs were automatically sold by the pound to the packers.
It kind of feeds on itself.

'They" will do anything possible to keep the price down. It does have to level off soon or consumers will stop buying.

I don't understand how prices are staying so high in this economy. When HB meat is $4-6 a pound and a Ribeye is $18-22 at Wal-Mart things have got to give somewhere. I'd think folks would be eating more chicken and pork and shying away from beef. I sure hope the calf prices stay here for a few more years though. All the things we've done to be setup to raise yearlings will define pay off.

I'd think folks would be eating more chicken and pork and shying away from beef. I sure hope the calf prices stay here for a few more years though.
I'm tired of eating pork and chicken. We are out of beef. Open winter in December so the elk didn't come down. The freezer is empty. We just butchered a steer today. 14 days to wait. I am so ready.

I'm tired of eating pork and chicken. We are out of beef. Open winter in December so the elk didn't come down. The freezer is empty. We just butchered a steer today. 14 days to wait. I am so ready.
That's always like waiting for Christmas when you were a kid.

What are y'all going to eat first??

I cant make it figure a profit even with Livestock Risk Protection and our calves are lots cheaper than the western states. I hope everyone gets rich but im probably done buying for this year.
I heard that Kenny, unfortunately I got two more loads to buy and I'll be done. I've got all mine locked in a Lrp, I should make a good profit if they don't die lol

Latest posts