Feeder futures

Help Support CattleToday:

The bridge down in Baltimore is going to throw a big monkey wrench in things for a bit. A LOT of shipping in and out of there... alot of ag products. 10th biggest port in the US I think? Anyway... it will take some time to get the steel structures cleaned up and out of the waters for safe passage of ships once they finish the immediate recovery search for the 6 missing people...
So, a few weeks for things to get ironed out as far as where things will be going into and out of in this area... think of the 30,000 vehicles a day that cross that for work too... LONG way around to go other ways.
Add that to this avian flu that they found in the dairy cattle, and also some of the H1N1 swine flu supposedly showing up.......

Here in my part of Texas a lot of people sold out completely in the summer of 2022 & 2023 due to drought conditions. Add that to the wildfires in the panhandle where there are a bunch of feedlots - don't know how that will affect markets. Last summer, folks north of the jet stream did pretty well. Here we were stuck under a high pressure cell and temps were 100+ with no rain for weeks on end.

Bird flu transmitted from a dairy cow to a human. I believe it was in Texas. Info was released on Friday I think. Mkt should bounce back unless more info comes forward.

Bird flu transmitted from a dairy cow to a human. I believe it was in Texas. Info was released on Friday I think. Mkt should bounce back unless more info comes forward.
Thanks, you can't make this $hit up. lol , That's $11 board is down since last week but from looks at the sales today the market is still strong.

Always remember you only make money when the board moves. A lot of money made on the way down and the same happens going up. Computer trades take a fraction of a second to move the MKT when the big funds are involved.

Calves held strong today at Knoxville. I couldn't tell any difference.

Pound cows were a touch lower. Except for a few nice char cows that were 1500 to 1800 pounds. They were 1.50+ IIRC. Replacements were still dirt cheap compared to everything else.

Last edited:
Calves held strong today at Knoxville. I couldn't tell any difference.

Pound cows were a touch lower. Replacements were still dirt cheap compared to everything else.
This shows how different people see things different. Another guy took a big bull to Knoxville today and said everything was higher, especially cows and bulls. We picked up a ruptured bull just before dark last night and he brought 1.58 there today. I figured him at maybe 1.30 because of the rupture.

If beef is going to remain a major portion of the American diet, where will it come from?
This thing has a different feel than previous cattle cycle bull markets. Usually by this time in the cycle people are keeping back heifers in a big way.
Around here I continue to hear of farmer's selling out, particularly older farmers on more marginal ground, (like me).
Feeding to higher weights and improved performance can't make up for the the depletion of mama cows we see.

If beef is going to remain a major portion of the American diet, where will it come from?
This thing has a different feel than previous cattle cycle bull markets. Usually by this time in the cycle people are keeping back heifers in a big way.
Around here I continue to hear of farmer's selling out, particularly older farmers on more marginal ground, (like me).
Feeding to higher weights and improved performance can't make up for the the depletion of mama cows we see.
Numbi Africa, South America, etc.

This shows how different people see things different. Another guy took a big bull to Knoxville today and said everything was higher, especially cows and bulls. We picked up a ruptured bull just before dark last night and he brought 1.58 there today. I figured him at maybe 1.30 because of the rupture.

They're wanting stuff to kill bad ain't they.

I was buying and thought they were a little less high than what they've been being for what I was after.

They want beef so high priced that its a luxury item only certain people will be able to afford. That way they can pretty much force people into eating the factory made fake 3D printed meat and other sick projects they have like all the bug factories, etc... global coolin.... i mean globa wamin.. .i mean.. climate change.... i mean climate theater....

I think cattle are high right now because everything else is high. Big corporations will take any chance available to them to raise prices. I'm more concerned with how hard prices will fall off in the next few years. Hopefully they'll land somewhere in the middle of what they were 2 yrs ago and what they are now. I think thst would be good for both consumers and producers. Unfortunately we live in a time where it's one extreme to the other on things.

I have stated before that i watch August 2024 futures close. Some time ago its 2.80. It got as low as 2.40. Last week i think back in the 2.60's, maybe 2.65. Today its 2.52. Hard to keep ahead of all the changes.

We have been trying to ship a load for the last 4 weeks. Between holidays, truck booking, and work we haven't been able to get it scheduled. Finally got things scheduled to ship this Sunday and driver just text me and said market is down $100 a head this week because of eclipse and bird flu. It seems like if someone sneezes lately things go into a tail spin. It also seems like the futures don't effect actual prices at bigger sales like they used too.

The futures is primarily what a friend of mine called the shiny shoes boys playing around to make money. There are a lot of other things that are more important to watch. Weather (on a big scale), feed prices, fuel, things affecting the export market, etc. Most people look at what is happening locally but what is happening on the bigger scale is important.

The bird flu and eclipse thing will pass in a couple weeks. It's nothing but an excuse to make a down... then make an up. I thought I heard them say that corn is off to a good start and they would be expecting updated numbers on that after Easter. When all that meets up in a week or two I think we will be back up full swing.

Latest posts