Feeder Flash 1/9

Help Support CattleToday:

If some one raises cattle for a tax write off... they and their cpa are not too smart.
Again, huh?

Again, huh?
... and... What does chubb.com say that proves anything? 😆

I truly don't want to seem like an azz but if your only starting and haven't even had your first calf yet how can you seem to know so much about everything from the time the calf is born until its slaughtered.
I've had nephews that couldn't hit a major league curveball, and so never did anything noteworthy, but that doesn't mean they don't understand the game. :)

You have to have a $10,000/yr income to operate as a farm, don't you?
I am glad I'm not in the buy/sell/price per # business. My business is brain racking enough. I'll stick to my pretty little cows.
We all have to deal with steers/feeders/cull cows. But, the little extra you can make by MARKETING your own cattle helps a lot. If I have a cull cow - sometimes I have her butchered to supply my local neighbors with a quality supply of hamburg. Sometimes, I sell cull cows to a local guy that supplies beef direct to local stores. I get top dollar for them. He comes here & picks them up. He LOVES my dinky light muscled cows.
Point being, we have to make $$ where we can. I would NEVER buy/sell sale barn cattle, simply because of the biosecurity issues.

I would guess they didn't understand in the beginning.
Of course everyone is born ignorant, but my guess is rocfarm is old enough to learn and connect the dots from other experiences and apply it to a variety of business principles.

p.s.
As a side note, received a text/photo from my nephew showing his twin sons on their 8th birthday breaking down game 6 of 1996 finals Bulls vs Sonics. :)

You have to have a $10,000/yr income to operate as a farm, don't you?

Point being, we have to make $$ where we can. I would NEVER buy/sell sale barn cattle, simply because of the biosecurity issues.
You have to show an attempt to make money. I have never heard of a minimum dollar amount.

A lot of people and me make money on cattle from the sale barn. The biosecurity issues are way over rated. Mostly by people who don't know cattle and buy one because it is cheap. If there is a 500 pound black steer selling for 80 cents. The big buyers aren't missing a great deal, there is something wrong with him. People buy it thinking they got a deal. When he dies a week later it is blamed on the sale barn and "all" their sick cattle.

Dave, I totally understand that, but selling high end cattle is not a good rep to have sale cattle on and off the farm. Highly frowned upon.
And my farm isn't big enough to keep sale cattle from getting exposure to areas exposed with my newborns.

Latest posts