Feeder futures

Help Support CattleToday:

We have 3 different pastures where there are no cattle around them and the fences are very very good.... we put heifers in these places and do not have to worry about them getting bred... granted 2 places only can handle 5 at one, and 10-12 at the other.... then the other one we can keep 20+..... and the one summer pasture where we normally run 30 steers is so far out in "nowhere" and no cattle within miles.... we are going to run heifers out there this year since we won't have any steers to graze....have a friend that "caretakes them" so we don't have to go out but a couple times all summer.... so actually there are 4 places this year for heifers.... we actually need some more heifers since we have sold all the steers.

We have very few issues with heifers. Where we run ours on wheat after weaning till we breed them a neighbor will put bulls next to them never had any issue. Another neighbor does run his yearling bulls across the road from the heifers. Never an issue. Two fences abs a dirt road separate them. The bulls do line up along the fence dreaming.

We have very few issues with heifers. Where we run ours on wheat after weaning till we breed them a neighbor will put bulls next to them never had any issue. Another neighbor does run his yearling bulls across the road from the heifers. Never an issue. Two fences abs a dirt road separate them. The bulls do line up along the fence dreaming.
One of the bulls I sold last week went for that exact reason. We have ear tags with the "brand" and our phone numbers on them. I got a call and the was saying I got your bull... He and I went back and forth for a few minutes both confused about where we were kn relation to each other. We have 2 neighbors on that place and I know both of them well. Come to find out, the bull jumped the fence, crossed a paved, two lane, FM road, and then jumped in to his place to get to some heifers. He was nice about it and I text him the bulls numbers because he was debating whether to abort them or not. I loaded him up and he went straight to some pipe pens. He went to the AB first chance I got.

Although I admire his enthusiasm, that a one and done deal. ... and, he didn't bend or break a wire doing it... which is good... and bad... 🙄

We had the neighbors jersey bull jump in with our herd a couple of years ago and breed a couple of cow's, they brought significantly less than our straight beef calves, about a third the price.

Neighbors Jersey bulls get in on us atleast once a year. Got a calf out of it once thankfully it was a heifer and we kept it, most all of our black cows are red carriers so that Jersey cross calf is marked and colored like a Jersey. Had it been a bull calf we'd have had to kept it for a beef or sold it at a huge discount.
Last year another neighbors Charolais cross bull came across fences and properties and got in on us twice. Have gotten 2 calves out of him for the first time of coming over..

I won't own any animal cow, bull, horse, etc that won't respect a fence. Life's to short to deal with that headache.
I kept a group of heifers last year.. this one decided she was going to start jumping my single strand hi-tensile. I gave her 2 chances. After that she was gone. all she'll do is teach the others.

I won't own any animal cow, bull, horse, etc that won't respect a fence. Life's to short to deal with that headache.
With the price of fence material now days and the hassel it doesn't take much for them to surpass their value real quick.

Talking heads say every thing is down today because of that bridge going down in Baltimore. Going to shut down that harbor for a while and a lot of shipping goes through there.
Thanks Dave I haven't heard about that. Hopefully it will bounce back soon.

Latest posts