Feeder Flash 1/9

Help Support CattleToday:

I think we all can see it coming.
There has been a lot of good cows butchered over the last couple of years.
We didn't buy as many cows as we wanted to during the drought last summer, but we did pick up about 70.
Most were 4 years and younger 75% of them were bred, we have calves hitting the ground now.

If you guys are right, even the wanna be cattlemen like myself are going to look like geniuses. 😂

Hope prices go up for at least two years. I won't have a calf crop to sell until next summer…

Look at that picture of the feedlot in his video. Not much black and lots of skin. They must be loosing money left and right.

View attachment 24743
Huh? Not if they paid way less for the calves pre-feedlot. Down in Texas most feedlots focus on basis, not grade, right? Theoretically you can make more money feeding out a corriente than a CAB steer, it's all about purchase price, cost of gain and spreads between prime, choice, select, etc, right?

Huh? Not if they paid way less for the calves pre-feedlot. Down in Texas most feedlots focus on basis, not grade, right? Theoretically you can make more money feeding out a corriente than a CAB steer, it's all about purchase price, cost of gain and spreads between prime, choice, select, etc, right?
Where is "down in Texas"?😄

I truly don't want to seem like an azz but if your only starting and haven't even had your first calf yet how can you seem to know so much about everything from the time the calf is born until its slaughtered.

I think that @Brute 23 is about as far "down in Texas" as most any member on here....:rolleyes:
:ROFLMAO:

I truly don't want to seem like an azz but if your only starting and haven't even had your first calf yet how can you seem to know so much about everything from the time the calf is born until its slaughtered.
Well, crap! That's what the guy on feeder flash said about the market in Texas! That's where I learned it 😂! Does the guy ever say anything that is true or does he just like to talk!

I like feeder flash, but I still can't really tell…

Theoretically. Good luck with your theory. Eventually, if you stay in business long enough you might figure out why the vast majority of cattlemen don't run Correinte cattle. Education is not cheap. And it can get real expensive in the cattle business.

I guess I need to be clear before this gets totally derailed. I was being sarcastic in response to all the talk of black hides and no ear. The way some people talk you would think the world is fed with registered black Angus cattle. Then you see a pic like this from an actual feedlot.

Most of the people in the game are already doing what they are going to do. New comers need to take in to consideration the motives for some of this marketing and be sure it will work for them. Based on this pic, there are obviously a lot if options out there.

I guess I need to be clear before this gets totally derailed. I was being sarcastic in response to all the talk of black hides and no ear. The way some people talk you would think the world is fed with registered black Angus cattle. Then you see a pic like this from an actual feedlot.

Most of the people in the game are already doing what they are going to do. New comers need to take in to consideration the motives for some of this marketing and be sure it will work for them. Based on this pic, there are obviously a lot if options out there.
I think most of us knew it was sarcasm. 😂 It was very much on point, too.

Theoretically. Good luck with your theory. Eventually, if you stay in business long enough you might figure out why the vast majority of cattlemen don't run Correinte cattle. Education is not cheap. And it can get real expensive in the cattle business.
Don't know if I disagree—yet. But The other side of that coin is that, since corrientes still continue to be around in huge numbers, so why do they still exist if they don't serve a purpose profit-wise…?

Years ago before I went into business I knew a man selling tropical fish. Not wal-mart pet store fish but like real fish. I thought to myself if this man can make good money selling fish like that I ought to be able to make money doing something I enjoy. Moral of the story is I know people who make money on young cows, old cows, premium cows and junk cows. I even know some that make money trading all of them. The money is in the trading and knowing how not the type cattle. Just my opinion.

Years ago before I went into business I knew a man selling tropical fish. Not wal-mart pet store fish but like real fish. I thought to myself if this man can make good money selling fish like that I ought to be able to make money doing something I enjoy. Moral of the story is I know people who make money on young cows, old cows, premium cows and junk cows. I even know some that make money trading all of them. The money is in the trading and knowing how not the type cattle. Just my opinion.
Or the tax write offs and land…