Feeder futures

Help Support CattleToday:

I read where they had to kill 1.6 million laying hens in a Texas farm over this…heard it on the radio the other morning. Guess the price of eggs will go up…again. Or they may have been eggs set to go to hatcheries…worked in one when I was in high school. When operating at full capacity, we turned out a million baby chicks a week.

TN is a state that will not take cattle from the infected states... I understand that the problem is in dairy farms in TX, NM, NE, MI, KS... so far... but heard there is a possible outbreak in NC..... also Idaho and Ohio have had some possible cases...
and it is supposed to be only in dairy cattle so far...
The states listed in that article are ones that will not take cattle FROM infected other states...
This is going to get nasty...

Last edited:
TN is a state that will not take cattle from the infected states... I understand that the problem is in dairy farms in TX, NM, NE, MI, KS... so far... but heard there is a possible outbreak in NC..... also Idaho and Ohio have had some possible cases...
and it is supposed to be only in dairy cattle so far...
The states listed in that article are ones that will not take cattle FROM infected other states...
This is going to get nasty...
Oh ok, my brain wasnt working i guess.

Glad we shipped the last 15 steers last week..., even though they were down a little bit.... heard they were up a little this week but I did not want to chance it. Still got 2.50 for 750 wts... Only have heifers now, and they are going to be out to graze for the summer... need about 35 and think we have about 20-25... got a couple of odd steers to maybe turn out... for beef later on......nothing to sell now but a couple of cull cows... maybe go Sat... splitting calves off, they aren't much... not going to continue to feed them... one is old, one lost a calf, one is part dairy and got mastitis and not one you can work with... so need to go and maybe replace down the road...

Glad we shipped the last 15 steers last week..., even though they were down a little bit.... heard they were up a little this week but I did not want to chance it. Still got 2.50 for 750 wts... Only have heifers now, and they are going to be out to graze for the summer... need about 35 and think we have about 20-25... got a couple of odd steers to maybe turn out... for beef later on......nothing to sell now but a couple of cull cows... maybe go Sat... splitting calves off, they aren't much... not going to continue to feed them... one is old, one lost a calf, one is part dairy and got mastitis and not one you can work with... so need to go and maybe replace down the road...
I bid on several cows yesterday but quit at 1.35 a pound. Got none. Local sale had 96 pairs and 17 bred cows. All old and still high.

Last edited:
Despite the drop in cow numbers, total beef production is actually a little higher, year on year. We are feeding to heavier weights while exporting less and importing more.
This may moderate the prices we have been seeing this spring but could help keep prices higher in the long run by keeping beef a major part of the American diet. At least that is the optimistic take on what is going on.
Some dream of $4 feeders but that is just not sustainable over any long period of time.

5 wts here were bringing in the $3.10-3.40 range right along this afternoon.

Son took a bull that had to be culled... Young bull had part of the loop of intestines slip down into scrotal sack and laid alongside testicles... when we took him in for BSE with another bull, they said he was not fertile (failed test at like 15%), and it was due to the heat from the intestinal loop keeping the temps too high... and there was basically nothing to do... well, there was a way to operate, take one sack out and stitch the loop back up and he MIGHT be good enough to breed... NOPE... bull prices are good and he weighed 1600, been doing okay eating and all for several months like that since we pulled him... but several cows had come up open and now we know why for sure... they had late calves, so got held over and will go with the next group with the bull in a couple weeks. Too much loss to sell them and try to buy back something else... we can deal with more spring calving cows... so the better option for them. One of those freak things... at least there was salvage value on him... not down or dead....

One of my dairy farmers sent a pic of the check stub from 2 holstein bull calves he sold the 24th... 115 lbs @5.05/lb =580.75 120 lbs @ 5.05=606.00.... 1186.75 before commission for 2 baby calves... literally not a week old.... they made a "graded pen" ... any holstein that is over 100 lbs goes in this category... and they do another "graded" pen of anything that is 85 and up... big framed type holstein bull calves. The black ones go in a different pen if there are very many... but they usually sell by the head because they will bring 5-900 PER HEAD.....

One of my dairy farmers sent a pic of the check stub from 2 holstein bull calves he sold the 24th... 115 lbs @5.05/lb =580.75 120 lbs @ 5.05=606.00.... 1186.75 before commission for 2 baby calves... literally not a week old.... they made a "graded pen" ... any holstein that is over 100 lbs goes in this category... and they do another "graded" pen of anything that is 85 and up... big framed type holstein bull calves. The black ones go in a different pen if there are very many... but they usually sell by the head because they will bring 5-900 PER HEAD.....
It would be interesting if someone started breeding for a solid black color Holstein...

It would be interesting if someone started breeding for a solid black color Holstein...
Not sure of what the purpose would be. Holstein standards means they have to have a white switch on tail and a certain amount of other white... the blacks are beef crosses and grade accordingly... solid black holstein crosses... usually with brown swiss giving them a dark choc or grayish black, take longer to mature since the swiss are slower growing... I see no benefit to a solid black holstein as the type would not feed out as well as a beef cross... and they pass the "black hided" tests many times... why screw up a breed with trying to make it something it is not. The market for the holstein beef is different than the beef animals, and there is a good market for them. I personally don't like the "turning everything black" mentality... if you cross it, the calf is a crossbred... regardless if it is all black or not... and then you get into having these "blacks" into the milking herds and you go backwards with milk production. It is hard enough to get some to recognize the good in the red and white holsteins which is a naturally occurring color... who the he// needs another "black breed" ???

There is actually a push in the other direction, and moving toward a red and white Holstein as a way to reduce heat stress and improve milk production ect. As a reduction of heat stress issues.

Latest posts