Feeder calf prices????

Help Support CattleToday:

RiverHills

Reaction score
We shipped some calves Friday to be sold today. Was wondering what you all would be satisfied with??????

They are all black or black white face.

Steers average around 525
Heifers average around 500

I would hope for around 1.35/1.25 but probably be satisfied with 5-10 cents off that, if I was satisfied in their conditioning.

Where did they go?

I am not saying right or wrong but why did you ship them Friday to sell today? Were they weaned? Lots of weight loss. And yes I know that for sure even with one day at the stockyard. I often weigh a few that are bought in on Sunday for a Monday sale and compare the weights. Here the 1.25-1.30 is about right but I feel heifers are too cheap here. They can be .25-.30 less and that's too much.

Good steers today brought between $142 and $150 at 525lbs. at several yards where I had buyers in California

kenny thomas":22mr9s0s said:
I am not saying right or wrong but why did you ship them Friday to sell today? Were they weaned? Lots of weight loss. And yes I know that for sure even with one day at the stockyard. I often weigh a few that are bought in on Sunday for a Monday sale and compare the weights. Here the 1.25-1.30 is about right but I feel heifers are too cheap here. They can be .25-.30 less and that's too much.

Do you think that weaned calves would not fill back up within a day or two of arriving at the sale barn, being offered decent free choice hay and water?

The calves were not great but in good condition. They were weaned 45days, two rounds of shots, knife cut. They are sent out on Friday to recover some shrink. In the past we have had a 0-3% shrink. That's a 320mi ride to Joplin.

They won't fill as good on hay and water as they will in oak city on the pellet feed they give them.
We ship Saturday morning for a Monday morning sale there. If the leave here by 9 they are usually there by 3.

jedstivers":y4nyp16z said:
They won't fill as good on hay and water as they will in oak city on the pellet feed they give them.
We ship Saturday morning for a Monday morning sale there. If the leave here by 9 they are usually there by 3.
True. The last ones I took there only lost 5 lbs from Saturday-monday after a 200 mile haul there.

Stocker Steve":1q2u1mur said:
js1234":1q2u1mur said:
Good steers today brought between $142 and $150 at 525lbs. at several yards where I had buyers in California

Why are calves higher there? I thought it was really dry in California.
California is still very dry in terms of drought recovery. However, last year season had good rains and most yearling guys have good old dry feed to turn out on ahead of the Fall rains. The exception being the Coast which is really still in pretty poor shape in terms of old feed.

Well I'm overall satisfied with the prices. They split the steers up. Thought the heavy 5wts. could have done a little better but they were probably carrying a little more flesh. I would say that the light 5wts. more than made up for it though. :banana:

Steers
512 @ 1.52
591 @ 1.26

Heifers
506 @ 1.20

Latest posts