Don't ask the question if you can't handle the answer.

Help Support CattleToday:

Very few people understand how radically our education system was changed in 1996 by the CGI crime syndicate. All of the problems that exist today were mandated into law back then.

There are many types of intelligence. Analytical intelligence, Physical intelligence, Tactile intelligence, Emotional intelligence, etc. That's why we used to have PE, marching band, shop, home ec, art, and all the other ways a kid could do well in school without mastery of Algebra.

So these kids are smarter in a tiny silver of subjects like European history and Algebra. Bet those little mouth breathers would have a hard time winning a baseball game or kissing a girl. Don't ask a kid who scored well on the SAT to change a McPherson strut, he will retreat to a safe space.

JWBrahman":1cz33d9i said:
Don't ask a kid who scored well on the SAT to change a McPherson strut, he will retreat to a safe space.

I love how some of you guys knock smart folks without realizing that one of those nerds created the technology you use to bash them. There were quite of my friends who were in the engineering program, which requires high SAT scores, that are massively technical.

There were quite of my friends who were in the engineering program, which requires high SAT scores, that are massively technical

Mine too, ......incredibly smart but as JW stated, they do seem to have difficulty figuring how wipe their own rearends.

Best out West,
I'm one of the nerds from the federal govt gifted program. One of the real test monkeys from the Primate Center.

Got a letter from George Bush congratulating me for a perfect math score on the national teacher certification exam.

Just happen to have all my Automotive certifications from ASE, too. Graduated from high school before 96...go back and look at what happened to the electrical systems on Fords when they kicked out the old engineers for the test takers in the 90's.

Just like many blueticks, that dog won't hunt BOW.

Bestoutwest":btqcdi9i said:
JWBrahman":btqcdi9i said:
Don't ask a kid who scored well on the SAT to change a McPherson strut, he will retreat to a safe space.

I love how some of you guys knock smart folks without realizing that one of those nerds created the technology you use to bash them. There were quite of my friends who were in the engineering program, which requires high SAT scores, that are massively technical.
I don't think he's knocking anyone just pointing out that as a general rule most people Excel in certain areas (And not so much in other areas)

JWBrahman":232zk6s8 said:
Very few people understand how radically our education system was changed in 1996 by the CGI crime syndicate. All of the problems that exist today were mandated into law back then.

There are many types of intelligence. Analytical intelligence, Physical intelligence, Tactile intelligence, Emotional intelligence, etc. That's why we used to have PE, marching band, shop, home ec, art, and all the other ways a kid could do well in school without mastery of Algebra.

So these kids are smarter in a tiny silver of subjects like European history and Algebra. Bet those little mouth breathers would have a hard time winning a baseball game or kissing a girl. Don't ask a kid who scored well on the SAT to change a McPherson strut, he will retreat to a safe space.

I greatly appreciate your statement about the variety of intelligence types, and the changes in our education system..our local school does not even offer woodshop, or home ec. They have a building trades class, band and a weak art class. As parents, its our responsibilities (especially nowadays) to ensure our children are exposed to as many of these types of activities as possible. Makes them well rounded. SAT scores, while not the end all, be all, are very important for college bound youngsters. Just as knowing how to change your oil, use a tape measure and saw, or how to play a musical instrument are also valuable skills. Living a rural lifestyle has served my children well with respect to exposing them to mechanical, construction and labor intensive activities. I appreciate that many children do not have the same opportunities, sadly.

ez14.":13vn0rth said:
Bestoutwest":13vn0rth said:
JWBrahman":13vn0rth said:

I don't think he's knocking anyone just pointing out that as a general rule most people Excel in certain areas (And not so much in other areas)

Anytime that "safe space " is invoked it is used to imply that one is a pussy and can't handle life. My father is, admittedly, a massive academic. He was a college professor. No, he wouldn't be able to change a strut on a car. Not because he is too stupid to learn, but because for him to buy the equipment, which he wouldn't have used hardly ever, was an expense he wasn't willing to endure. To imply that all those academics are idiots is quite narrow minded, and rather telling of a person. I feel the same way about academics looking down at those who farm or are manual laborers. Some of the smartest folks I have known barely have a high school education.

It is somewhat true that the whole thing about "if you get a college degree your life will be better and you will make more money" has really hurt those that are not college material. Doesn't mean someone more suited for manual, skilled labor or trades is stupid. Just means that some people are better for different types of work and therefore have different types of learning skills. And if certain levels or types of learning means that there are more whites or non-hispanics doing it, doesn't make them superior. It was just showing how this kids' analytical study played out.
And MANY, not all, very smart book-learned folks are definitely lacking in the common sense dept. And many that are gifted in the arts, don't have the common sense that many of us "blue-collar raised" kids learned. It has to do with the raising, and with the exposure during the formative years, but it also has to do with the WANTING to learn and excel at something.

I know a very very smart man who was raised on a chicken farm in the deep south. I am sure his parents didn't know what to do with him and his brain. Into all sorts of Nuclear physics or something like that now. But he does have common sense because he was raised that way.
Used to farm sit for a really nice older guy. Was a professor and studied things like tree rings and the effect of water/weather cycles. Traveled to many distant countries to teach and study things like that. Knew stuff that I would never have had a clue about. Really brilliant. But you had to explain to him the simple procedure of walking his sheep up along the fence to get them to go through a gate, because he couldn't see the common sense of not going towards them in the middle and having them run every which way. Couldn't wrap his mind around that you just couldn't let them "exist" as in nature...because they weren't out in the wild and things like parasites had to be addressed and things like worming and minerals and feed were necessary to their survival. He would quote to me that he read this book or that book and this is how it should be done. Then I would have to try to "gently" explain some of the practical day to day things that were different than what the "book experts" were saying.
So I think that there is some truth to some "races" having more "smarts" in some things; but alot of it is exposure at young ages. And that you can't always teach some things to people who are more gifted in certain areas.
Yes we need more "trades" for people who do not always do good in "classroom" settings. And we had sure better get a grip on the ones that seem to think that they are going to come out of college with some obscure degree and make a big paycheck without having to have paid their dues to "learn" from the ground up. Most seem to think they ought to come out of school and start at the top, instead of paying their dues and learning from the bottom up.

Bestoutwest":2v52dkty said:
ez14.":2v52dkty said:
Bestoutwest":2v52dkty said:

Anytime that "safe space " is invoked it is used to imply that one is a be nice and can't handle life. My father is, admittedly, a massive academic. He was a college professor. No, he wouldn't be able to change a strut on a car. Not because he is too stupid to learn, but because for him to buy the equipment, which he wouldn't have used hardly ever, was an expense he wasn't willing to endure. To imply that all those academics are idiots is quite narrow minded, and rather telling of a person. I feel the same way about academics looking down at those who farm or are manual laborers. Some of the smartest folks I have known barely have a high school education.

Best out West, you got a lot out of a few simple sentences. This same ability exists in my wife. Maybe y'all are related?
My step father taught Chemistry at SLU from 1961 until around 2010. He could also change a U joint.

I was referring to the people today who get butt hurt every time they wanna meddle in other peoples business. Like the kids who didn't actually get shot but hurried up to catch the celebrity rabbit before the kids who did get shot got out the hospital.

I was shot 21 years ago when a group of black guys decided to steal my 1969 Mustang with me in it. There were no press conferences or. go fund me pages.

So many narrow minded judgemental people. Why should I learn anything about a McPherson strut when I can pay JW to install it.

JWBrahman":13hfl3h0 said:

It was so bad in the early 2000's we had to bring back the apprenticeship program for the trades. We would have 2k applications for 25 jobs. Starting pay was 25 dollars an hour two days a week in apprenticeship school three on the job with a mentor. The college grads were some of the worse. They were not dumb kids the school system had totally failed them for the realities of life IMO.
Ninety percent would flunk out through the testing. This wasn't rocket science it was the three R's. Comprehension of written instructions would take out the majority. Drug testing would get the rest.

ez14.":pzb9uojo said:
Bestoutwest":pzb9uojo said:
JWBrahman":pzb9uojo said:

I don't think he's knocking anyone just pointing out that as a general rule most people Excel in certain areas
(And not so much in other areas)
It's about "want to" verses "can do."
It's not the kids, it's the parents, but I blame all the grandmas for how the last couple of generations have been reared.

M-5":cxbtqvpm said:
Business 101 taught by a professor that has never ran a business. Brilliant

Ah, a business degree. I guess that's where all these be nice salesmen come from!

JWBrahman":1oxv10h2 said:
Best out West, you got a lot out of a few simple sentences. This same ability exists in my wife. Maybe y'all are related?
My step father taught Chemistry at SLU from 1961 until around 2010. He could also change a U joint.

I was referring to the people today who get butt hurt every time they wanna meddle in other peoples business. Like the kids who didn't actually get shot but hurried up to catch the celebrity rabbit before the kids who did get shot got out the hospital.

I was shot 21 years ago when a group of black guys decided to steal my 1969 Mustang with me in it. There were no press conferences or. go fund me pages.

A lot can be conveyed in a few sentences. Some of the strongest sentiments can be conveyed in a word or two if you're good enough at it.

We have a lot of people that want to meddle in a lot of peoples' business. It goes both ways. We want to legislate everyone to death.

21 years ago, the world was a different place. Social media has changed the landscape, and I'm afraid it's not going to be for the better in the long run.

M-5":35s3ad2y said:
Business 101 taught by a professor that has never ran a business. Brilliant
Someone with HS bookkeeping can teach graduate level accounting if he has any sense at all. Just takes intelligence not prerequisites.

In my family you were d@mned well expected to be able to use your brain AND your hands. Do your physics homework then go pick vegetables. Go work on your English Lit assignment then go clean up after yet another of your grandparents' hoarder tenants lol. One such set of tenants had not mowed their back yard in so long that when they left and we went in (should have had hazmat suits) to clean up the putrid mess, there was a bear cub in the backyard. In a suburb, in Ohio, where there are no bears. (They'd brought it back and it went free-range, as suburban bears will do). I digress.

Latest posts