Don't ask the question if you can't handle the answer.

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":13o1wv8o said:
M-5":13o1wv8o said:
Business 101 taught by a professor that has never ran a business. Brilliant
Someone with HS bookkeeping can teach graduate level accounting if he has any sense at all. Just takes intelligence not prerequisites.

And attention to detail.

boondocks":3p6av2nj said:
In my family you were d@mned well expected to be able to use your brain AND your hands. Do your physics homework then go pick vegetables. Go work on your English Lit assignment then go clean up after yet another of your grandparents' hoarder tenants lol. One such set of tenants had not mowed their back yard in so long that when they left and we went in (should have had hazmat suits) to clean up the putrid mess, there was a bear cub in the backyard. In a suburb, in Ohio, where there are no bears. (They'd brought it back and it went free-range, as suburban bears will do). I digress.
Good post.
I think your family had the right perspective. Different people have different interest and aptitudes but between using your brain and your hands I don't see that one precludes the other. There is not enough time for anyone to know or do everything.
I am reminded of something I read a long time ago using beauty contests as an example. Most often one of the girls who loses will be the one who is bitter and runs down the winner.
There is no need for the winner to criticize the loser. She is doing just fine.
You can pretty much tell who the winners and losers in life are by their attitudes. The winners are mature and comfortable with life. Losers are immature and whine and criticize.

Of course these remarks refer to an individuals state of being and not to what they may do or not do on the outside.

I've been watching a lot of Jordan Peterson's lectures recently... He has some interesting things to say about IQ.
For one, between men and women, average IQ is VERY close, however, the distribution is NOT.. Women will all be much closer to the average, while men stray more.. that means there are a lot of really dumb men, but also more exceptional ones when compared to women.. Partly explains why most historical scientists were men, but there were some exceptions.. OK, so the lack of education women had way back when also played a role, but wasn't the only factor.

Another thing is on average, men are only slightly more violent than women.. that is, if you'd pick a random man and a random woman, and say "the man is more violent", there's still only a 60% chance you'd be right.. the severity of the violence is another story since men are typically stronger.

Boondocks, Yup, bang on! I was lucky to have enjoyed both, I was nearly a straight A student but grew up with lots of manual labor.. perhaps there's a correlation there too.

Ryder":35u8o31c said:
There is not enough time for anyone to know or do everything. I am reminded of something I read a long time ago using beauty contests as an example. Most often one of the girls who loses will be the one who is bitter and runs down the winner.
You can pretty much tell who the winners and losers in life are by their attitudes. The winners are mature and comfortable with life. Losers are immature and whine and criticize.

Of course these remarks refer to an individuals state of being and not to what they may do or not do on the outside.

I like that and agree. I have known some people in my life who don't care for the rat race. Their car isnt as shiny, and their house isn't as fancy, but they are happy as larks. They are mature and comfortable with their life. Their neighbors who bust their butt all the time to have their big house, nice cars, trips, and boats, like to poke fun at them, and maybe even call them lazy. Even though their neighbors lifestyle doesn't affect them, they criticize and whine. It's not their neighbors stuff that they envy, but their happiness.

Nesikep":3ge6bxde said:
I've been watching a lot of Jordan Peterson's lectures recently... He has some interesting things to say about IQ.
For one, between men and women, average IQ is VERY close, however, the distribution is NOT.. Women will all be much closer to the average, while men stray more.. that means there are a lot of really dumb men, but also more exceptional ones when compared to women.. Partly explains why most historical scientists were men, but there were some exceptions.. OK, so the lack of education women had way back when also played a role, but wasn't the only factor.

Another thing is on average, men are only slightly more violent than women.. that is, if you'd pick a random man and a random woman, and say "the man is more violent", there's still only a 60% chance you'd be right.. the severity of the violence is another story since men are typically stronger.

Boondocks, Yup, bang on! I was lucky to have enjoyed both, I was nearly a straight A student but grew up with lots of manual labor.. perhaps there's a correlation there too.
Nesi, it's not just that there weren't many female scientists. Pay and authority and tenure in the academic community are tied to publishing/research. ("Publish or perish."). There was a long history of women doing a lot of the key work and not getting their name on the resulting articles, studies, patents. I met a women about 25 years ago who was one of the founders of the field of molecular biology. She had worked in her "husband's" lab for years: she raised their kids and did research for decades, but she didn't have a formal PhD as she had had to interrupt her formal program when they started their family. They both told me she was the real core of the lab and responsible for an equal part of it. But her name wasn't on the door. (There is much the same story in the arts. Look at (Mr/Mrs) Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath: he left his family to follow his dream of being a poet. She had the same dream but stuck it out with the wee kids, caring for them through a cold winter with no money, cold house, everyone sick, getting up to write at 4am before the babies woke. (Well, until that unfortunate oven thing).
Much of the exciting new CRISPR (gene-editing) technology was invented by women. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuAxDVBt7kQ

I'm fully aware of that.. I'm just having a brain fart on names for examples but I know there's no shortage of them. To be outstanding it takes both intelligence and dedication, and it's not often both coincide.

Ryder":q620bydj said:
boondocks":q620bydj said:
In my family you were d@mned well expected to be able to use your brain AND your hands. Do your physics homework then go pick vegetables. Go work on your English Lit assignment then go clean up after yet another of your grandparents' hoarder tenants lol. One such set of tenants had not mowed their back yard in so long that when they left and we went in (should have had hazmat suits) to clean up the putrid mess, there was a bear cub in the backyard. In a suburb, in Ohio, where there are no bears. (They'd brought it back and it went free-range, as suburban bears will do). I digress.
Good post.
I think your family had the right perspective. Different people have different interest and aptitudes but between using your brain and your hands I don't see that one precludes the other. There is not enough time for anyone to know or do everything.
I am reminded of something I read a long time ago using beauty contests as an example. Most often one of the girls who loses will be the one who is bitter and runs down the winner.

Lot had to do with the times and expectations as well. You were required
to think like the victor not a victim.
There were seven of us and all successful, I don't think that is accidental. Nurture and environment play huge roles and I think DNA as well.
How else do you explain the anomalies that are in our prisons raised in good homes. What makes the switch that some continually flip on to bad decisions.

boondocks":3u6wm99c said:
Nesikep":3u6wm99c said:

Nesi, it's not just that there weren't many female scientists. Pay and authority and tenure in the academic community are tied to publishing/research. ("Publish or perish."). There was a long history of women doing a lot of the key work and not getting their name on the resulting articles, studies, patents. I met a women about 25 years ago who was one of the founders of the field of molecular biology. She had worked in her "husband's" lab for years: she raised their kids and did research for decades, but she didn't have a formal PhD as she had had to interrupt her formal program when they started their family. They both told me she was the real core of the lab and responsible for an equal part of it. But her name wasn't on the door. (There is much the same story in the arts. Look at (Mr/Mrs) Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath: he left his family to follow his dream of being a poet. She had the same dream but stuck it out with the wee kids, caring for them through a cold winter with no money, cold house, everyone sick, getting up to write at 4am before the babies woke. (Well, until that unfortunate oven thing).
Much of the exciting new CRISPR (gene-editing) technology was invented by women. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuAxDVBt7kQ
What about the three unknown black women mathematicians that worked at NASA no one knew about until a movie about them came out. Looks like they were instrumental with the calculations for putting men on the moon. Why not a woman on the moon.

Latest posts