Do You Remember

Help Support CattleToday:

Some things I haven;t seen in a while is blueing (in a bottle), Fels Naptha soap and a scrub board (unless it's being played by some yahoo in a band). Alos don;t see the spoons being played much anymore.

backhoeboogie":1wf2w6bc said:
Jogeephus":1wf2w6bc said:
backhoeboogie":1wf2w6bc said:
I also say, "Hot water heater." Drives my BIL nuts when I say it.

What other name does it go by?

"Water heater" Jogee. His lame remark is, "If its already hot, why are you heating it?"

Ahh, I guess he does have a valid but petty argument. He's not one that likes to split hairs is he? I have to deal with a few people that use the same logic and if Rome was burning down they'd let it burn until everyone was in agreement on what type water was being used to extinguish it. I like to hope that their genes are unlikely to be passed on since they can't seem to get past their verbal foreplay.

Jogeephus":1awvhcjo said:
I have to deal with a few people that use the same logic and if Rome was burning down they'd let it burn until everyone was in agreement on what type water was being used to extinguish it.
That reminds me of years ago there a a commercial for Roman Meal Muffin Mix. The guy said all you had to do was add "wet" water. I alwasy wondered what dry water was.

dun":36dry1c0 said:
Jogeephus":36dry1c0 said:
I have to deal with a few people that use the same logic and if Rome was burning down they'd let it burn until everyone was in agreement on what type water was being used to extinguish it.
That reminds me of years ago there a a commercial for Roman Meal Muffin Mix. The guy said all you had to do was add "wet" water. I alwasy wondered what dry water was.
Ice?

Anybody know where the term "Hoopty" or Hoopy" came from? Granddad and Dad always said the term "Hoopy" but I was watchin' a TV show years ago and the word "Hoopty" came out in reference to an automobile. Don't know which is right but I guess it don't matter.

I think "four tracks" referred to the fore runner of the cassett tape. Not sure but I have heard that term to describe them. I had an old '77 Chevy four wheel drive PU that had an 8-track. Added a delay unit that really enhanced the sound - until you hit a bump and all heII broke loose then. Turns out the "reverb" unit was a long spring stretched between the pole pieces of two audio transformers. The "delay" was the reaction time of the spring.

Thanks, Dun, I was wondering if I was the only person ever to have a 4 track. You had 4 speakers, sounds on one track came out the right side and sounds from the other track came out the left side. Just put the tape in and flip the lever up to get it to play!

Then when you saved up enough money you could get the 8 track, and when you really, really saved up enough you could get the 8 track with the FM radio. WOW!! And they had very pretty dials that lit up!!

1970 Mustang, 351 Cleveland, 300 horse, Hurst 4 speed, could get scratch from 1st thru 3rd, and the girls(they were too young to be women) would actually look at you. Seems like only yesterday.

Now back to reality and today. :cry2:

jw":2ljluyo5 said:
Thanks, Dun, I was wondering if I was the only person ever to have a 4 track. You had 4 speakers, sounds on one track came out the right side and sounds from the other track came out the left side. Just put the tape in and flip the lever up to get it to play!

Then when you saved up enough money you could get the 8 track, and when you really, really saved up enough you could get the 8 track with the FM radio. WOW!! And they had very pretty dials that lit up!!

1970 Mustang, 351 Cleveland, 300 horse, Hurst 4 speed, could get scratch from 1st thru 3rd, and the girls(they were too young to be women) would actually look at you. Seems like only yesterday.

Now back to reality and today. :cry2:
I went from 4 track to a portable cassette player. The worst thing about the 4 track was the way they ate tapes

I can still get "Mrs. Wright's Bluing". Women used it to whiten clothes because the iron in the well water turned them a shade of yellow/orange. In an attempt to whiten their hair( that was also turned yellow by the water) they would use the stuff and it turned their hair blue. I know you can still remember a blue haired old lady.

I still remember when tires were called "casings", because that is what the tube went in. And a soda was a "soda pop", and the bottle it came in was a "pop bottle" and we also played the distance game with the towns on the bottom.

I remember if you left your 8 track tape laying on the dash board or in the seat of the car, the sun would warp it and it was ruined. If you stuck it in the "tape player" it would make a gargling noise and you knew instantly you were going to have to pull over and dig the tape out. I can remember seeing tape strung out down the side of the highway like streamers.

Here's one I just had to post. I can remember scraping the meringue off of a piece of pie when I was a kid because my grandmother used to call it "calves slobbers". Because that is what it looks like when it was nursing.

I remember roaming around looking for discarded "pop bottles" and taking them down to the corner store for the deposit and on a good day, you had enough for bubble gum AND a candy bar. Kids today, seems like their parents don't let them out of their sight until they are old enough to drive off. We used to take off on our bikes and be gone all day, nobody thought anything about it. And some of the adventures and misadventures you got into, you learned from!

alacattleman":1qgaz9so said:
dun":1qgaz9so said:
I'll bet kids don;t play "kick the can" anymore.
bet they dont even know what it is,,,got a scar on my left knee that reminds me of it

From the moment the snow had almost melted in the spring to when it returned in the fall, the neighborhood kids just all showed up at a certain hour and went at this game until we got hollered at to get in. I have spent a fair amount of time around kids and they never play it now.

lavacarancher":vmlztd9o said:
Anybody know where the term "Hoopty" or Hoopy" came from? Granddad and Dad always said the term "Hoopy" but I was watchin' a TV show years ago and the word "Hoopty" came out in reference to an automobile. Don't know which is right but I guess it don't matter.

I remember hearing, "Well Hoopty Do!" and it was meant in sarcasm. As in "Big deal".

MO_cows":39a27ir7 said:
I remember roaming around looking for discarded "pop bottles" and taking them down to the corner store for the deposit and on a good day, you had enough for bubble gum AND a candy bar. Kids today, seems like their parents don't let them out of their sight until they are old enough to drive off. We used to take off on our bikes and be gone all day, nobody thought anything about it. And some of the adventures and misadventures you got into, you learned from!

Never heard "pop" until I moved north. When deposit on those bottles went to a nickel, I thought I was going to get rich.

Used to get Mad and Cracked magazines in the late 60's until Mom found them and tossed them out. I remember the milk man was putting out bottles of milk and Alfred E. Neuman was following along putting out bottles of water. It was a big joke. Every gas station had a water fountain. Now bottled water is reality and it is more expensive than Cokes. Go figure.

Latest posts