Do You Remember

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":sj7qzb26 said:
Some good memories, I traveled to and from college in a old volkswagon bug, it had a cool (I might mean groovy) stereo, 8 track tape player bolted under the dash and fed into 8 speakers wired around the car.... no such thing as an amp then. And no one minded the pause in the middle of a song when the tracks changed. My first few cars and trucks had the button on the floor board to change the headlights (not headlamps) to bright and dim. I worked my aunt and uncles dairy during the summers while growing up, they had a old feed truck that to start, you had to turn on the key, pull out the choke on the dash, push a button on the floor with your foot, then push another button on the dash and then pump the heck on the gas until it fired thats when it went to the fine art form of massaging the gas and adjusting the choke in and out slightly to get it going..... then sitting in the truck keeping it going until you felt it was safe enough to try to move it so it wouldn't die and you have to start all over again..... those were good days!

Alan

I think everyones Aunt, Uncle , or Grandparents owned that truck. Ours was a Diamond T that we used to haul Beets , silage and cattle

Personally I would rather have the dimmer switch on the floor instead of on the column. As far as music, nothing beats the ipod playing through an empty FM chanell on the car sterio.

larryshoat":14uh53ur said:
I still call a cd a "Record" or better yet start talking about a " record player or turntable".

Larry
I get confused about the nomen clature of CD and DVD. I call them little records.

Regular size records go with the Victrola. But I forget where I put it.

I have no idea what is meant by this 8-track business. All I know is that when someone mentions it, people laugh.
So I am not asking.

Ryder":3v198e0s said:
larryshoat":3v198e0s said:
I still call a cd a "Record" or better yet start talking about a " record player or turntable".

Larry
I get confused about the nomen clature of CD and DVD. I call them little records.

I have no idea what is meant by this 8-track business. All I know is that when someone mentions it, people laugh.
So I am not asking.
What's worse I had an old 4 track in one car I bought

dun":189adzo7 said:
Ryder":189adzo7 said:
larryshoat":189adzo7 said:

Larry

So I am not asking.
What's worse I had an old 4 track in one car I bought
Guess you didn't need 8 when you only had one speaker. :p

My first truck didn't have a radio so I installed an under dash Craig 8 track player. You can sure get tired of listening to 3 or 4 tapes over and over. You'd get to where you knew just when to switch tracks to get the beginning of a song that you liked.

How many of you still call it an "ice box".
My dad always did and I still do most of the time because that's the way I learned it.
My daughters and their friends get a kick out of me saying it though instead of refrigerator.

Remember when the corn heads were three or four row? Six was "something" and eight was showing off?

Remember when Coke bottles had the names of towns on the bottom? Back in those days, on a slow work day, we'd gather at the elevator and we'd play a game with the bottles. We'd open the machine, everyone grabbed a bottle, and whoever had the one from farthest away had to buy. In the event of a question of distance, the deciding was done with a string thumb tacked on our little town with a string that was used to map it out.

cmf1":k4ywtdm6 said:
My dad always did and I still do most of the time because that's the way I learned it.
My daughters and their friends get a kick out of me saying it though instead of refrigerator.
I'm with you. At least I "think" I call it an ice box. Really don't notice what I call it.
But it was an ice box and don't know why it should change. Still has ice in it.

IGotMyWings":brcb166h said:
Remember when the corn heads were three or four row? Six was "something" and eight was showing off?

Remember when Coke bottles had the names of towns on the bottom? Back in those days, on a slow work day, we'd gather at the elevator and we'd play a game with the bottles. We'd open the machine, everyone grabbed a bottle, and whoever had the one from farthest away had to buy. In the event of a question of distance, the deciding was done with a string thumb tacked on our little town with a string that was used to map it out.
Never played that game. But there was another game I enjoyed. Called "Spin the bottle". :banana:

cmf1":19w4hhv9 said:

Your post made me laugh thinking of my Grandmother from Italy. she never really learned much English so when she told the salesman at Sears Roebuck that she wanted to buy an Iceaboxa he had no idea what she was trying to say. When my 8yr old father tried to translate for her she got mad at him and made him go sit in the car.

I guess they eventually got it figured out since they still had that" Brand new in 1938 Iceaboxa" on the ranch when I was a kid in the 50's. My dad said he never opened it without flinching from the pinch she gave him.

Oh Yeah,
And one of his other favorite things to say that has carried over to me is the "idiot box".
Guess it's an "idiot screen", or "idiot panel" now.
My kids know what I'm talking about when I say to shut it down though.

cmf1":q7wnwju5 said:

Yes. It confused my grandson. We were looking all over the house for stuff I brought home. He was told to "put it in the ice box." So in the ice chest it went.

I also say, "Hot water heater." Drives my BIL nuts when I say it.

backhoeboogie":2b5qn9ls said:

What other name does it go by?

Remember when you got your tires recapped? That sure wouldn't fly in our society today.

Wondering myself. I guess if he is a northener he might call it a boiler but that don't sound right to call a hot water heater a boiler if all it does is make hot water.

backhoeboogie":89d6frwl said:
cmf1":89d6frwl said:

Yes. It confused my grandson. We were looking all over the house for stuff I brought home. He was told to "put it in the ice box." So in the ice chest it went.

I think you speak perfect English.

Jogeephus":340wjgcr said:
backhoeboogie":340wjgcr said:

What other name does it go by?

"Water heater" Jogee. His lame remark is, "If its already hot, why are you heating it?"

3waycross":upn8ep3x said:
backhoeboogie":upn8ep3x said:
cmf1":upn8ep3x said:

I think you speak perfect English.
It's not a "hot water heater"......It's just a "water heater". It heats COLD water and reheats warm water.

I remember Boogie's "turtle hull"...sucker didnt' lock either. Had a push button opener or a twist type opener. And we had a "deep freeze".

Latest posts