Do you pick up hitch hikers?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":5xoko3i5 said:
True Grit Farms":5xoko3i5 said:
The packing heat thread got me thinking about hitch hikers. I don't pick up hitch hikers and haven't for years now.
Haven't picked up a hitch hiker in ages. My how times have changed. Freshman year at Aggieland I hitch hiked home every time I came home then hitch hiked back. Seldom had to wait over 10-15 minutes for a ride and rode in everything in the world from a DPS cruiser to an old pickup truck with side frames on it and about a 300 lb. sow in it. Never had any problems. I was usually wearing a ROTC uniform which probably helped some.

Parents driving her back to A&M? :hide:

Commercialfarmer":yank9x5s said:
TexasBred":yank9x5s said:
True Grit Farms":yank9x5s said:
The packing heat thread got me thinking about hitch hikers. I don't pick up hitch hikers and haven't for years now.
Haven't picked up a hitch hiker in ages. My how times have changed. Freshman year at Aggieland I hitch hiked home every time I came home then hitch hiked back. Seldom had to wait over 10-15 minutes for a ride and rode in everything in the world from a DPS cruiser to an old pickup truck with side frames on it and about a 300 lb. sow in it. Never had any problems. I was usually wearing a ROTC uniform which probably helped some.

I literally just snorted!!! :lol: (used to live in Austin)

TennesseeTuxedo":91v6ptkc said:
M-5":91v6ptkc said:
when you see a young lady walking and offer a ride and they get in and offer services for the ride can be a challenging situation. I've had that happen on a few occasions ,Its good that I have a strong will and can resist the temptation and the conversation is interesting till I drop them off at their destination.

You are so full of crap it's comical.

He's probably so darn handsome that he's irresistible. It happened not just once, but on "a few occasions." :lol2:

TCRanch":3tusmjyi said:
Commercialfarmer":3tusmjyi said:
TexasBred":3tusmjyi said:

I literally just snorted!!! :lol: (used to live in Austin)

Sorry CF,,,,Aggieland was not co-ed back then. She did have on a cute little burnt orange tutu though. :lol:

herofan":21c0yyiy said:
TennesseeTuxedo":21c0yyiy said:
M-5":21c0yyiy said:
when you see a young lady walking and offer a ride and they get in and offer services for the ride can be a challenging situation. I've had that happen on a few occasions ,Its good that I have a strong will and can resist the temptation and the conversation is interesting till I drop them off at their destination.

You are so full of crap it's comical.

He's probably so darn handsome that he's irresistible. It happened not just once, but on "a few occasions." :lol2:

I am with dash on this one. It has happened to me several times. The last time was a 40 something house wife type. Looked to me like she had broke down so I picked her up. She wanted a ride further than I was going and offered to make it worth my while to take her all the way home. I passed, as I had other things to do.

My brother and I went to Costa Rica last summer to help a friend who was opening a restaurant up. We were leaving a little market in our rental Jeep and three young ladies flagged us down and asked for a ride. Turned out they were on work exchange from Germany. I spent the rest of the day on the beach drinking Imperial beer with them, but normally do not pick up hitchhikers.

I guess it would depend on who and where. As a 16 year old kid, just got my liscense, I ran out of gas in South Dallas. Here I was, me and my buddy walking through the ghetto with a gas can. This old black man in a truck picked us up, said you boys shouldnt be walking down here, too dangerous. He took is to the gas station, gave us extra money for gas(we just had a few bucks) and took us back to my car. God sends people our way sometimes. Sometimes we may be that person. If the hitchhiker looks like trouble. No way.

alisonb":1vbi4y85 said:
BK9954":1vbi4y85 said:
If the hitchhiker looks like trouble. No way.
What does trouble look like? They make horror movies out of this kind of stuff :shock:
Oh you know, long hair hippie stuff, strung out on drugs look, criminal profiling like the cops do, terrorist in a turbin carrying a rocket propelled grenade..... etc.. I might let someone jump in the bed of my pickup nowadays.... I have gotten a lift without asking 4 times.... all were good folks except 1 homosexual who got what was coming to him after he made a pass at me when I was 18... bet he never picked another young guy up like me again.
It can be just as dangerous getting into a strangers car but when you are young you feel invincible..

ohiosteve":uukjxqdr said:
My brother and I went to Costa Rica last summer to help a friend who was opening a restaurant up. We were leaving a little market in our rental Jeep and three young ladies flagged us down and asked for a ride. Turned out they were on work exchange from Germany. I spent the rest of the day on the beach drinking Imperial beer with them, but normally do not pick up hitchhikers.
Did they have a big ol' wad of arm pit hair?? :lol: :lol: Most do.

Depending where I am I'll pick up hitch hikers, along our 16 miles of road I probably know them all anyhow.. usually I think they fear for their own life with my driving.
I've picked up a few others once in a while, especially if I'm going a long way and I'm bored.. I've also learned some places have "commuter" hitchhikers, like around ski hills, and they're BORING, they sit there for the ride and hardly say thank you... Other places I know are just full of drunks that have lost their licenses and can't drive, they're boring as heck too

TexasBred":ssaiegxg said:
ohiosteve":ssaiegxg said:
Did they have a big ol' wad of arm pit hair?? :lol: :lol: Most do.
haha, no armpit hair definitely well groomed!

alisonb":2jwig9ys said:
BK9954":2jwig9ys said:
What does trouble look like? They make horror movies out of this kind of stuff :shock:

Ted Bundy grew up just a few block from the house my parents lived in when I was born. Well groomed, educated, nice looking young man. The niece of some good friends of my parents was last seen leaving a up scale restaurant in Tacoma. Walked out the door the same time as a man named Ted...... I get less suspicious of a guy in dirty clothes. I know why he has to hitch a ride. The well dressed guy I wonder why he isn't driving his own car.

Dave":k68nsymt said:
alisonb":k68nsymt said:
BK9954":k68nsymt said:

Ted Bundy grew up just a few block from the house my parents lived in when I was born. Well groomed, educated, nice looking young man. The niece of some good friends of my parents was last seen leaving a up scale restaurant in Tacoma. Walked out the door the same time as a man named Ted...... I get less suspicious of a guy in dirty clothes. I know why he has to hitch a ride. The well dressed guy I wonder why he isn't driving his own car.
Off topic but reminds me of a funny incident. When my brother first moved to my ranch he was sitting on the front porch. A guy, dressed in a nice suit and tie, crawled out of the creek, Scatched up, clothes torn to heck and looked like he went swimming in the mud. He just kept walking up the road, wouldnt look left or right, just straight down the road. It was pretty wierd. Makes you wonder what that guy went through. Maybe caught with another mans wife and had to make a run for it or something. And this is a couple miles from town. You never know what is going to come out of the creek.

I think it would have been worth the risk to help that fella just to hear his story.

Can't help but wonder if a kindly couple in the Smokeys don't share a similar story about a fella who came crawling up to their home in the midst of a snow storm after this poor fella stumbled on a liquor still a few hours earlier.

Latest posts