Do you pick up hitch hikers?

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":25g10l4t said:
wbvs58":25g10l4t said:
I must admit blonde Swedish female backpackers are my weak point.

Ken

Wow now!

You just changed the parameters here.

A couple years back there were two really attractive young ladies hitchhiking out here. I did what I always did and kept going. In this day and age it's too dangerous on a multitude of levels.

Heck the way society is these days the hitch hiker is in more danger than the people considering giving him/her a ride. May be one reason most would rather just walk than try to catch a ride. Still see quite a few just walking, pack on their back and never trying to catch a ride.

TexasBred":27qj6f6m said:
Heck the way society is these days the hitch hiker is in more danger than the people considering giving him/her a ride. May be one reason most would rather just walk than try to catch a ride. Still see quite a few just walking, pack on their back and never trying to catch a ride.

I would guess more hitch hikers become victims than the ones providing a ride!!!

This girl got some wise advice from Dad: "If you see someone hitching down the road, Even if you think its me, Keep right on going"

Used to, especially when I was in the military and most of the ones with their thumb out were trying to get back to base before liberty expired--haven't in a long long time, but like most others here, I haven't seen any lately. Dunno if people have become too lazy to hike or if they all consider it too dangerous to hitch hike.

I do from time to time. I have one guy that I pick up fairly regularly as he walks back and forth to town to avoid more DUI charges. :lol: The first time I picked him up he was wearing pink flip flops, ladies jogging shorts, and a ball cap so I figured he couldn't be hiding much. Turned out to be worth stopping for just to hear the stories as some of them are real doozies. :nod:
There's another guy that would make you think twice about stopping if you were so inclined but it turns out he walks five miles to work daily to save gas money so he can do a little better for his four kids. I try to catch him whenever I can. The first time I picked him up he pulled a hunting knife out of his boot and layed it in the bed of the truck before he got in. I had some fence down after a storm that I saw late one afternoon near his house and it was back up when I went to fix it the next day and there were tracks around the mule that I keep fencing supplies in so I think that was his way of saying thanks.

I used to pick up a guy every morning and afternoon for several yrs . He was walking 20 miles each way to work at a local feed mill. One day I didn't see him anymore and ran into him a few weeks later and he said he finally saved enough to buy a old truck.

I also used to but it was often someone I knew who had broken down. Agree, with cell phones it isn't often you even see one. As I get older, and being female, I don't think I would unless I know them; even with carryin... and my son would KILL ME if I did....

If I see someone walking that I know, I'll pick them up. If a car breaks down, I'll give someone a ride.

If I am just cruising down the road and see a stranger with his thumb out, I am not stopping.

If I see someone broke down in the boonies I'll call it in. We do pick up fellow backpackers when we are in backpacking areas. And have gotten rides from fellow backpackers. We pick carefully of course.

boondocks":1wxo5k8b said:
If I see someone broke down in the boonies I'll call it in. We do pick up fellow backpackers when we are in backpacking areas. And have gotten rides from fellow backpackers. We pick carefully of course.
Doesn't giving a ride to a backpacker sort of defeat the purpose of backpacking?? :lol: :hide:

when you see a young lady walking and offer a ride and they get in and offer services for the ride can be a challenging situation. I've had that happen on a few occasions ,Its good that I have a strong will and can resist the temptation and the conversation is interesting till I drop them off at their destination.

M-5":1en7lfea said:
when you see a young lady walking and offer a ride and they get in and offer services for the ride can be a challenging situation. I've had that happen on a few occasions ,Its good that I have a strong will and can resist the temptation and the conversation is interesting till I drop them off at their destination.

You mean like wash your truck or something,?
I'd probably pick em up If I could get my truck washed.

M-5":3ay6yej8 said:

You are so full of crap it's comical.

TexasBred":1kuyphqs said:
boondocks":1kuyphqs said:
Doesn't giving a ride to a backpacker sort of defeat the purpose of backpacking?? :lol: :hide:

:lol: Good point! Actually it's usually to get to or from the trailhead. There are a lot of great trails that you can only do if you have two cars (one at each end); or want to walk many miles along the road to get back to your car at the end of a long dayhike or multi-day backpack; or can hitch a ride back to the car at the end of the trailhead. I wish hitching was safer (for all involved). It would sure cut down on traffic, cars, costs etc.

TennesseeTuxedo":2d2zvmip said:
M-5":2d2zvmip said:

You are so full of crap it's comical.

At least once he gets them locked in the truck they can't hang the phone up on him.