Dislocated Hip - Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":2wjrbqae said:
3waycross":2wjrbqae said:
bbirder":2wjrbqae said:
If he wasn't limping when he left my place, the money would still be in my pocket and the other fellow would have the problem!
Sounds to me like this fella took him home bred his cows, crippled him and then got you to buy him back.......bad business!

Hello. How do suppose the fellow " crippled" the Bull? Is it anybody's fault if the bull is not sound and injures himself breeding?

Kingfisher -- I am not saying the fellow "crippled" the bull on purpose -- accidents do happen; especially during breeding season. However, then be why after 45 days contact me and tell me this -- he wants me to do the right thing -- what about the gentleman doing the right business thing and owning up to what happen and why does this situation fall back in my lap? As a business deal -- why didn't this rancher deal with it as a business situation for him and not me? If you bought a bull, this happened then would you call the seller back up and say give me my money back and you deal with the bull? Or would you take care of business and move on? Or would you contact me tell me what you think may have happened, and say you will take care of the situation and leave it open for me to keep the money or return it -- but know it is a business deal?

tsmaxx47":l3mmutud said:
lilrue, there's no point in splitting hairs with the guys you mentioned, those guys have mucho experience, and as far as i can see they have the best interest of the animal in mind. you ask for suggestions, remember? i also think the advice is sound, sometimes its just not easy to do the right. i think if you dwell on it a while, you'll do the right thing by your animal.....

Well, put, Sir! And I do appreciate the advice and comments. And yes, in the end -- with my vet at hand; I will do the right thing for my bull. Thank you

dun":1qaxdk4w said:
lilrue":1qaxdk4w said:
Could not agree with you more on no one should be allowed to own cattle or any animal if they are going to make them suffer or starve. However, I am not "one" of those people! But your dramatical writing on how to kill an animal could make one wonder about your comments. I did not ask for somone to tell me how to kill my bull.
You didn;t ask specificly but he told you how to best address the problem if you don;t want to send him to slaughter.
As to the sending him to slaughter being the easy way out, it isn;t. Keeping him around while he's in pain is the easy way out.

Well, put and believe me I am keeping that in mind. The last thing I want to do is hurt him any worse than has already happened; whether intentional or an accident in the beginning. I appreciate your replies.

3waycross":3qqm5p61 said:
bbirder":3qqm5p61 said:
If he wasn't limping when he left my place, the money would still be in my pocket and the other fellow would have the problem!

Good point. At the very least if he did not call me the first day and say this bull is limping then he could go pizz up a rope. Sounds to me like the bull got injured at his house and you being new in the biz gave him his money back and ate the bull. You made it too easy if you ask me. That's why I wanted to know what the vet said. Sounds to me like this fella took him home bred his cows, crippled him and then got you to buy him back.......bad business!

Very true; I agree with you -- we will never know the truth and for me it was hard lesson to learn! But that is life and I will remember it in the future.

BC":p4thr8u9 said:
lilrue":p4thr8u9 said:
BC":p4thr8u9 said:
If the bull can walk off the trailer, take him to a slaughter plant. If the bull can not walk, follow Caustic's advice. Either way the bull needs to be put out of his suffering.

Define suffering? And how do you tell when your cattle are suffering? Or is sending them to the slaughter house the easy way out?
Cattle don't limp unless there is a cause. Your vet made a diagnosis that the hip was dislocated. Based on that information, my advice was to get salvage value for the bull (if you have not given a bunch of medicine that has withdrawal times) or put the bull down. I have a few cows that have a special place in my heart and don't relish when one has to go to the sale or packing house due to old age, failure to get pregnant and raise a calf or injury, BUT this is a business. I don't apologize for my advice to you or my outlook on the cattle business.

By the way, I know a little something about joint pain as I have had both hips replaced.

I appreciate your honesty on the business -- I would never ask or suggest for an apology on giving advice; I appreciate you all taking time to talk to me and give my your thoughts on the situation. I understand joint pain but luckily have had no surgeries. However, I am in the medical field and deal with rehabilitating individuals on a daily basis. But do not confuse me with being a rehab therapist -- I am not. My "paying the bills job" is an Administrator of a Nursing and Rehab Center.

lilrue":3lhs9c7m said:
I have a 2 yr old bull; I sold the bull and the buyer contacted me approximatley 45 days later and states the bull is limping, he can't use him to breed and is bringing him back. I picked up my bull; he is really limping due to a dislocated hip. I don't want to slaughter the bull or put him down -- I just want to keep him as a family pet. Any suggestions on help for the bull and can he live with a dislocated hip?

Your exactly right -- he was'nt limping and I have not refunded the money to date.

Ok, I am curious. The buyer returned the bull and does not want any reimbursement?

Kingfisher -- I am not saying the fellow "crippled" the bull on purpose -- accidents do happen; especially during breeding season. However, then be why after 45 days contact me and tell me this -- he wants me to do the right thing -- what about the gentleman doing the right business thing and owning up to what happen and why does this situation fall back in my lap? As a business deal -- why didn't this rancher deal with it as a business situation for him and not me? If you bought a bull, this happened then would you call the seller back up and say give me my money back and you deal with the bull? Or would you take care of business and move on? Or would you contact me tell me what you think may have happened, and say you will take care of the situation and leave it open for me to keep the money or return it -- but know it is a business deal?

If the guy has been in the cattle business for 40 years like he says, he would not have returned the bull to you 45 days after purchase because the bull is injured (lame). The bull is his responsibility. If the bull was lame upon delivery, he should have contacted you immediately.

If you want to keep him as a pet/pasture ornament, cut him. If you don't cut him, I sure hope that you have good fences and do not have neighboring cows if you are planning on keeping him as a pasture ornament. The poor guy will go crazy trying to get to cows.

Good luck. YMMV.

PS. What type of bull is he? How much does he weigh and how much did you sell him for? Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

chippie":2kmc8f7j said:
lilrue":2kmc8f7j said:
I have a 2 yr old bull; I sold the bull and the buyer contacted me approximatley 45 days later and states the bull is limping, he can't use him to breed and is bringing him back. I picked up my bull; he is really limping due to a dislocated hip. I don't want to slaughter the bull or put him down -- I just want to keep him as a family pet. Any suggestions on help for the bull and can he live with a dislocated hip?

Your exactly right -- he was'nt limping and I have not refunded the money to date.

Ok, I am curious. The buyer returned the bull and does not want any reimbursement?

If the guy has been in the cattle business for 40 years like he says, he would not have returned the bull to you 45 days after purchase because the bull is injured (lame). The bull is his responsibility. If the bull was lame upon delivery, he should have contacted you immediately.

If you want to keep him as a pet/pasture ornament, cut him. If you don't cut him, I sure hope that you have good fences and do not have neighboring cows if you are planning on keeping him as a pasture ornament. The poor guy will go crazy trying to get to cows.

Good luck. YMMV.

PS. What type of bull is he? How much does he weigh and how much did you sell him for? Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

Chiangus, when sold he weighed 1200#'s and for $1750. He weighs around a 1000# now!

Caustic Burno":2qhecert said:
Nut's keeping a bull for a pet, this is one of those newspaper articles you read about. Owner found dead! It's a bull not a poodle.

Well, Caustic then if you ever see a newspaper article about a woman from Amarillo, Tx being killed by her pet "bull" then you'll be able to say "I told her so". I still appreciate your honesty. :)

Chiangus, when sold he weighed 1200#'s and for $1750. He weighs around a 1000# now!

You sold a 2yr old Chiangus bull that only weighed 1,200 #s for $1,750 and now he only weighs 1,000 #s?

So you are in Amarillo? I have relatives near there.

1200 lbs is not a very big bull.

How much experience do you have owning cattle?

lilrue":398asgj6 said:

I just want to know who paid $1.45lb for a very lightweight 2 yr old bull?

Hippie Rancher":3rhd3zcf said:
That's not hippie talk. :D

:D :cowboy:

Sure am glad to see you back, HR! I've missed you. I always thought very highly of you, even if you are nothing but a no good, low down, long haired, commie, pinko, hippie freak. :lol2: :lol2: Don't be a stranger.

KNERSIE":1z7v42je said:
The lesson to be learned is if you want to sell bulls, make sure your guarantee is written and cover you in case of those freak accidents and owner's neglect or vaccination faults.
Why would you even go pick him up? I would have like to been a bird on a wire that day...............

VanC":3gagu2ie said:
Sure am glad to see you back, HR! I've missed you. I always thought very highly of you, even if you are nothing but a no good, low down, long haired, commie, pinko, hippie freak. :lol2: :lol2: Don't be a stranger.

aww ya touch my heart with your sweet talk, VanC :lol2:

robertwhite":1xy7k78j said:
lilrue":1xy7k78j said:

Do you normally buy "breeding" bulls by the pound?

3waycross":37fr0amj said:
robertwhite":37fr0amj said:
lilrue":37fr0amj said:

Do you normally buy "breeding" bulls by the pound?

No, but since when is a 2 yr old 1200lb bull a "breeding bull? ;-)

probably more 1200lb 2 year old bulls in this country than there are any heavier. I got a 3 year old hereford that weighs around 1600. Probably gained 300 of that in the last year.

I think those who work on humans mistakenly think the same treatments apply to big animals.

I can't imagine putting a hip back in place on a mostly grown bull, and then keeping it in place. If it went out once, what will keep it from happening again? Are you going to put a splint on a bull over a thousand pounds? You can on people or dogs, but good luck with a bull. If the hip isn't stable, arthritis will result. Pain in the future.

A person can sit or lay down to take weight off the hip - don't know if you can get the bull to do that.

I'd sure like to hear how this goes.

B&M Farms":22sm3ass said:
probably more 1200lb 2 year old bulls in this country than there are any heavier. I got a 3 year old hereford that weighs around 1600. Probably gained 300 of that in the last year.

Do you have pictures of your bull?