Dislocated Hip - Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

lilrue

Reaction score
I have a 2 yr old bull; I sold the bull and the buyer contacted me approximatley 45 days later and states the bull is limping, he can't use him to breed and is bringing him back. I picked up my bull; he is really limping due to a dislocated hip. I don't want to slaughter the bull or put him down -- I just want to keep him as a family pet. Any suggestions on help for the bull and can he live with a dislocated hip?

How long do you want him to be in pain? If you insist on keeping him as a "pet" knock his nuts off first thing. Cows make only so-so pets, bulls make terrible "pets".

I'll come right out and label this as a potential case of animal abuse/neglect if it is allowed to proceed.

EDIT: Ship the bull to slaughter, ASAP.

lilrue":ob9l055n said:
I have a 2 yr old bull; I sold the bull and the buyer contacted me approximatley 45 days later and states the bull is limping, he can't use him to breed and is bringing him back. I picked up my bull; he is really limping due to a dislocated hip. I don't want to slaughter the bull or put him down -- I just want to keep him as a family pet. Any suggestions on help for the bull and can he live with a dislocated hip?

Doesn't sound like a congenital problem. What kind of story did he give you as to how he was injured. Is this a diagnosis from a vet or are you guessing his hip is dislocated.

lilrue":2jbreea5 said:

Draw a line from the left ear to right eye then from the right ear to the left eye, apply large bore bullet where the two lines make an X. No one should be allowed to own cattle that allow them to suffer or starve.

If the bull can walk off the trailer, take him to a slaughter plant. If the bull can not walk, follow Caustic's advice. Either way the bull needs to be put out of his suffering.

BC, Caustic Burno & Arron:
I appreciate your comments, even though I do not agree with them. I am not abusing/neglecting my bull. He is not starving, either! Yes, he can still walk and even though you all can say send him to the slaughter -- is that the easy way out and be done with it!?! I am merely trying to find the best way to deal with this unpleasant situation. If there is the remote chance that I can help this bull and he can continue to live; then I will go that route.

3waycross:
I appreciate your respectfullness in your comments. The gentleman who bought the bull will not tell me what happen. He states he started limping when he unloaded him the 1st time but did not contact me until 45 days later. He was a sound bull for breeding but not show quality. I have consulted my vet; he examined him and said he has a dislocated hip. No xrays, just walking behind him and studying him.

I'm not one to give up easy -- but no I do not want my bull to suffer! But tell me: BC, Caustic Burno & Aaron how do you define suffering and how do you tell when your cattle are suffering?

3waycross, what are your thougts are suffering? How do you tell when your cattle are suffering? Again thank you all for your blunt honesty.

Aaron":7ose2y2b said:
I'll come right out and label this as a potential case of animal abuse/neglect if it is allowed to proceed.

Why do you deem this a potential case of abuse/neglect? Define suffering? Shipping to the slaughter could be deemed as animal abuse/neglect for the way they are treated.

3waycross":1hkhngwz said:
lilrue":1hkhngwz said:

Doesn't sound like a congenital problem. What kind of story did he give you as to how he was injured. Is this a diagnosis from a vet or are you guessing his hip is dislocated.

Thank you for respectfullness in your reply. The gentleman will not tell me what happen. Only states he started limping the 1st time off trailer when unloading him. He did not contact me until 45 days later. I did have my vet examine him; no xrays just walking behind him and observed him. I am just trying to see if there is any feasable way to save my bull; I am not trying to make him suffer.

BC":22vj279w said:
If the bull can walk off the trailer, take him to a slaughter plant. If the bull can not walk, follow Caustic's advice. Either way the bull needs to be put out of his suffering.

Define suffering? And how do you tell when your cattle are suffering? Or is sending them to the slaughter house the easy way out?

Caustic Burno":3c86zqyj said:
lilrue":3c86zqyj said:

Draw a line from the left ear to right eye then from the right ear to the left eye, apply large bore bullet where the two lines make an X. No one should be allowed to own cattle that allow them to suffer or starve.

Could not agree with you more on no one should be allowed to own cattle or any animal if they are going to make them suffer or starve. However, I am not "one" of those people! But your dramatical writing on how to kill an animal could make one wonder about your comments. I did not ask for somone to tell me how to kill my bull.

lilrue, there's no point in splitting hairs with the guys you mentioned, those guys have mucho experience, and as far as i can see they have the best interest of the animal in mind. you ask for suggestions, remember? i also think the advice is sound, sometimes its just not easy to do the right. i think if you dwell on it a while, you'll do the right thing by your animal.....

lilrue":3lvh0p7i said:
Aaron":3lvh0p7i said:

Why do you deem this a potential case of abuse/neglect? Define suffering? Shipping to the slaughter could be deemed as animal abuse/neglect for the way they are treated.

If you try and prolong his life, for your own personal satisfaction without stepping back from the situation and realizing that there is no treatment for him, than you are neglecting the needs of the animal to be put out of his suffering. Once you start neglecting him on a continual basis, than you are abusing him.

Don't send him to the sales barn if you think it's abusive to do so. Take Caustic's advice and shoot him. Or, if you can't do it, ask a neighbor to do it for you. All of my neighbors have each others numbers in case we need to euthanize a loved animal for someone. Sometimes you just can't put old Bessie down yourself if your too attached to her. I've shot continually bloating steers, downed cows, etc, etc. It's not fun, but it's a responsibility that each of us has to adhere to if we have an ounce of respect for our animals.

What was your vets advice....He or she will have the advice you seek...If you have to put the animal down and he has not been pumped full of meds.... grind that sucker... a two year old bull will make nice hamburger, and I have eaten the ribeyes of a 3 year old Limousin bull and they were pretty good.

lilrue":3ia98psf said:
Could not agree with you more on no one should be allowed to own cattle or any animal if they are going to make them suffer or starve. However, I am not "one" of those people! But your dramatical writing on how to kill an animal could make one wonder about your comments. I did not ask for somone to tell me how to kill my bull.
You didn;t ask specificly but he told you how to best address the problem if you don;t want to send him to slaughter.
As to the sending him to slaughter being the easy way out, it isn;t. Keeping him around while he's in pain is the easy way out.

bbirder":2ani0awj said:
If he wasn't limping when he left my place, the money would still be in my pocket and the other fellow would have the problem!

Good point. At the very least if he did not call me the first day and say this bull is limping then he could go pizz up a rope. Sounds to me like the bull got injured at his house and you being new in the biz gave him his money back and ate the bull. You made it too easy if you ask me. That's why I wanted to know what the vet said. Sounds to me like this fella took him home bred his cows, crippled him and then got you to buy him back.......bad business!

3waycross":3jr5490f said:
bbirder":3jr5490f said:
If he wasn't limping when he left my place, the money would still be in my pocket and the other fellow would have the problem!

Good point. At the very least if he did not call me the first day and say this bull is limping then he could go pizz up a rope. Sounds to me like the bull got injured at his house and you being new in the biz gave him his money back and ate the bull. You made it too easy if you ask me. That's why I wanted to know what the vet said. Sounds to me like this fella took him home bred his cows, crippled him and then got you to buy him back.......bad business!
That's all well and good but doesn;t address what should be done with the bull now!

lilrue":1vp6w345 said:
BC":1vp6w345 said:

Define suffering? And how do you tell when your cattle are suffering? Or is sending them to the slaughter house the easy way out?
Cattle don't limp unless there is a cause. Your vet made a diagnosis that the hip was dislocated. Based on that information, my advice was to get salvage value for the bull (if you have not given a bunch of medicine that has withdrawal times) or put the bull down. I have a few cows that have a special place in my heart and don't relish when one has to go to the sale or packing house due to old age, failure to get pregnant and raise a calf or injury, BUT this is a business. I don't apologize for my advice to you or my outlook on the cattle business.

By the way, I know a little something about joint pain as I have had both hips replaced.

Latest posts