Dislocated Hip - Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

bbirder":1zgj0qvq said:
If he wasn't limping when he left my place, the money would still be in my pocket and the other fellow would have the problem!

my thoughts exactly......... :nod:

tsmaxx47":2u57amrg said:
bbirder":2u57amrg said:
If he wasn't limping when he left my place, the money would still be in my pocket and the other fellow would have the problem!

Ditto. :nod:

Sounds like you got took.

What are your goals for the bull if he can he can be helped? If he is a big guy, the chances are he will always be lame and sore, and will have further problems if you allow him to try to breed a cow.

What sort of quality of life to you want for the bull?

Looks like she didn;t like the information. She hasn;t been back since the day after the original post

Why do people ask for advice and then when they don't get the answer they want just do what they were going to do originally?

Waldershrek":vk7d88l5 said:
Why do people ask for advice and then when they don't get the answer they want just do what they were going to do originally?
Human nature, in the same vein as "don;t confuse me with facts" or "never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

3waycross":136xnyon said:
bbirder":136xnyon said:
Sounds to me like this fella took him home bred his cows, crippled him and then got you to buy him back.......bad business!

Hello. How do suppose the fellow " crippled" the Bull? Is it anybody's fault if the bull is not sound and injures himself breeding?

Kingfisher":381e82d2 said:
3waycross":381e82d2 said:
bbirder":381e82d2 said:
Sounds to me like this fella took him home bred his cows, crippled him and then got you to buy him back.......bad business!

Hello. How do suppose the fellow " crippled" the Bull? Is it anybody's fault if the bull is not sound and injures himself breeding?

Here is a quote from her original post, I think his story stinks to high heaven;
The gentleman who bought the bull will not tell me what happen. He states he started limping when he unloaded him the 1st time but did not contact me until 45 days later. He was a sound bull for breeding but not show quality.

Maybe he just stepped in a HOLE. Does that make it her fault. Since we don't have a clue how he was injured how do you suppose he DISLOCATED a hip. I would appreciate it if you could tell me how that condition could be congenital and not show at all until he walked off the trailer at the new owners house. If you were the buyer wouldn't you call her immediately and tell her that the bull was limping and at the very least have it on the table that he might not be sound.

Sounds a lot like :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: to me!

What I think happened is that this fella saw a chance to stick it to her since she was a newbie and wanted everyone to be happy. Then she woke up and figured out that she just got sc--wed. At least she knows it now. What we don't know is how many cows he was to breed and if he was the only bull or not. That could sure influence things a bit.

I have seen more than one bull get messed up by the other bull while breeding a cow or two on one in a bull fight.
Odds are he will never be anything but hamburger as he is not going to get lighter.
As said she got mad when she learn some cold hard facts. If I unlaoded that bull sound the only way you would get a refund is he was shooting blanks. You load one sound here he is your bull when he gets on the trailer.

The lesson to be learned is if you want to sell bulls, make sure your guarantee is written and cover you in case of those freak accidents and owner's neglect or vaccination faults.

bbirder":y9uiyg46 said:

Your exactly right -- he was'nt limping and I have not refunded the money to date.

KNERSIE":l1u5khkp said:
The lesson to be learned is if you want to sell bulls, make sure your guarantee is written and cover you in case of those freak accidents and owner's neglect or vaccination faults.

I agree; it's my fault the guarantee wasn't in writing; I guaranteed the gentleman a good bull for breeding a pasture full of new heifers for the first go around. Had no idea that a freak accident or owner's neglect would come back on me. This was my first time of selling and he has been in the business for 40yrs or so he says.

dun":3hlz1dmo said:
3waycross":3hlz1dmo said:
bbirder":3hlz1dmo said:

Good point. At the very least if he did not call me the first day and say this bull is limping then he could go pizz up a rope. Sounds to me like the bull got injured at his house and you being new in the biz gave him his money back and ate the bull. You made it too easy if you ask me. That's why I wanted to know what the vet said. Sounds to me like this fella took him home bred his cows, crippled him and then got you to buy him back.......bad business!
That's all well and good but doesn;t address what should be done with the bull now!

My vet is still working with me -- I am not pumping him full of medications but I am trying so alternatives to see if it will help him -- we are considering sedating him, putting him in traction and putting the hip back in place and see what happens.

3waycross":6egtjrpg said:
Hopefully she's gonna ask her Vet what to do and follow his advice.

I am conversing with my vet -- and yes -- I will take his advice and I believe firmly if he thought for a minute the bull was suffering or I was abusing or neglecting him that he would be very upfront with me. He is a large animal vet most of all.

chippie":2mo1eree said:
tsmaxx47":2mo1eree said:
bbirder":2mo1eree said:

Ditto. :nod:

Sounds like you got took.

What are your goals for the bull if he can he can be helped? If he is a big guy, the chances are he will always be lame and sore, and will have further problems if you allow him to try to breed a cow.

What sort of quality of life to you want for the bull?

If my bull could be helped -- I don't need to breed him, I don't want to do anything but let him have a good life --- taken care of! He is a good bull, and I know you guys don't care to hear this but he is a gentle bull. He would live the life of luxury in my opinion. He enjoys being bathed, brushed, scratched and rubbed on. As my vet has said -- "pasture art or lawn art".

dun":327lwkjr said:
Looks like she didn;t like the information. She hasn;t been back since the day after the original post

No, Dun -- I'm still here. Yes I can handle the truth -- and the information you guys are giving me. It's helps me greatly to hear your view points. Honesty and bluntless --- I do not shy away from. I apologize if you all thought I just ducked my tail and ran but I didn't.

Waldershrek":3hyd1fc4 said:

I'm still hear and I may not get the answer I want but what is most important is that the advice be honest and genuine. We don't all get the answers we want as we go throught life -- that is why it is called life!

dun":3q6p198r said:
Waldershrek":3q6p198r said:
Human nature, in the same vein as "don;t confuse me with facts" or "never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

I agree but I am not done yet -- believe me I will continue to post and tell you all the truth of what I am doing with the consent of my vet -- and whatever may happen with the bull you will know.