Craigslist cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I am not a Hereford person but I have much respect for the hours of work and the effort required to bring the cattle in
the photo to this point. The young man looks proud and rightfully so. This industry needs young people with the
dedication implied in the photo.
Before COVID hit I went to Abilene for my then 8 yr old grandson's first big junior livestock show. My grandson was tall but weighed probably 50 lbs soaking wet. His steer weighed about 800 lbs. some of the kids were even smaller than him. There were some problems with control but on balance they were amazing. The whole tone of the event was designed to encourage and instill responsibility, respect, and Love of God and country.

These are the kids make me hopeful for the future of our country.

I saw a 15 month old Gyr heifer at the exotic animal sale here in Va bring a little over 4,000.... She had the longest face and ears... almost ugly she was so different and kinda neat to look at. Very quiet and tame also. I will bet she weighed 1200 lbs....she did not have horns.
Is that the one in Harrisonburg? I've seen it advertised, and was curious what they typically brought at that sale.

Is that the one in Harrisonburg? I've seen it advertised, and was curious what they typically brought at that sale.
Yes, held at the Shenandoah Valley Livestock sale. It is VERY popular and has everything under the sun..... The Gyr heifer was really neat looking... sell a bunch of "mini cattle".... some do good, some not so much. All depends... Anything with brahma blood will do batter at this sale than at the normal stock sale but it is really a crap shoot. They do a good job of advertising anything that is consigned and includes pictures and such.

I don't know a whole lot about them.
i rather use a good American grey or red Brahman..to hang some meat on a frame..gyr will give you all the frame you want..but tend to be too rangy for my taste..

Last edited:
Yes, held at the Shenandoah Valley Livestock sale. It is VERY popular and has everything under the sun..... The Gyr heifer was really neat looking... sell a bunch of "mini cattle".... some do good, some not so much. All depends... Anything with brahma blood will do batter at this sale than at the normal stock sale but it is really a crap shoot. They do a good job of advertising anything that is consigned and includes pictures and such.
I'd like to go to that sale sometime. I just wish it was closer or on the weekend. Looks like they have a lot of unique livestock, and they do a good job promoting it. Nice to see a little variety sometimes.

This one beats all.

Latest posts