Mandatory EID tags for KY cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

He says he's worried about the extra cost to producers, but really it's the barns that are going to take it on the chin. They are going to have to invest in readers and technology to pass along information.

The tags are $3-4 and go in just as easy as a normal ear tag.

He says he's worried about the extra cost to producers, but really it's the barns that are going to take it on the chin. They are going to have to invest in readers and technology to pass along information.

The tags are $3-4 and go in just as easy as a normal ear tag.
That's $3-4 more per head that we should not have to pay. Like he said they can track these animals pretty good the way it is

I know what the tags are, we had to use them for our bred heifer sale.

Last edited:
I guess you could call it control...

But it comes in handy for tracking things like TB and CWD which our wild deer herd passes to cattle.

In Michigan there is no other tagging or tracking requirements. So without the RFID tag there's no good way to track an animals origin.

There has never been a case of a cow having CWD, let alone being transmitted from a deer to a cow. Frankly, CWD has just been used to spread fear to gullible people and convince them they want more government "protection". Its baffling to me that after 20 years, people still think its an actual problem.

Probably so, never given it any thought as we don't have CWD in the part of the state, nor do we have TB. Though I'm unsure what "protection" people are convinced they need from it?

I do know that TB has indeed been transmitted from deer/elk to cattle. I personally know guys in lower Michigan that have got TB in closed cattle herds. One of those farmers finding out after one of his feeder calves being slaughtered some time after being sold and being discovered. They were able to trace that steers origin thru 2 or 3 sellers from the tag.

That's $3-4 more per head that we should not have to pay. Like he said they can track these animals pretty good the way it is

I know what the tags are, we had to use them for our bred heifer sale.
Besides the fact that they want you to tag feeder cattle. It's not much different than the old steel tags that we put in all breeding age cattle returning to the country.

If it's like the sheep tags maybe the state will give them to producers if you put them in on the farm.

Besides the fact that they want you to tag feeder cattle. It's not much different than the old steel tags that we put in all breeding age cattle returning to the country.

If it's like the sheep tags maybe the state will give them to producers if you put them in on the farm.
They are putting those round plastic tags with the usda numbers in cows at the yards.now and we had to with our bred heifers. The tags for heifers were at our expense.
A couple years ago one of the yards we deal with was having periodic value added sales and at a couple of them they were asking consignors if they would volunteer to put EID tags in so they could have a test run if it came to that.
I personally hate those tags they put them in the top of the ear, looks to me like it would be extra uncomfortable for the animal the way it bends the ear.

Beef Magazine wrote about an EID cost share program, but I guess it never came to fruition. {click here}
Jeanne - Simme Valley said New York provides EID to producers free of charge. Why haven't other states figured out how to do the same?

I think the reading range of HDX / FDX tags is too limited. After the USDA pilot program ended, 840 UHF tags are nonexistent. Fort Supply Technologies still offers a 999 UHF strip tag. However, ICAR states 999 ids are for research and testing only.

When U.S. CattleTrace began, I joined for a single year and didn't go back. CattleTrace holds a symposium each year, but what have they accomplished?

There are many issues, including manufacturing capacity. During Covid shutdowns, custom tags had a 6-month backorder. Even Canada rationed ear tags during Covid because of hoarders and limited supply. Allflex has since added capacity, but would it be enough if there's a national EID mandate for all classes of livestock? I would like to see more market share for Y-Tex, Datamars, and Caisley.

When we Bangs vac our replacement heifers my vet asks if want the Fed ID tag or metal tag. We just put in the orange Fed ID tag. Do the same with yearling bulls at BSE and they are ready to go out of state with health papers. All costs the same. I don't see the point in putting them in steer and and heifer calves going to the sale barn. They all have hot iron brands.

They are putting those round plastic tags with the usda numbers in cows at the yards.now and we had to with our bred heifers. The tags for heifers were at our expense.
A couple years ago one of the yards we deal with was having periodic value added sales and at a couple of them they were asking consignors if they would volunteer to put EID tags in so they could have a test run if it came to that.
I personally hate those tags they put them in the top of the ear, looks to me like it would be extra uncomfortable for the animal the way it bends the ear.
I've seen enough infected ears from the old USDA steel tags that I see your concern about the tags being on top of the ear.
We tagged sale bulls last win the middle rib but closer to the head. We didn't want to cover up their tattoos.

KCA Statement on NCBA Traceability Resolution
Jan 26, 2024

There have been several conversations this week about Kentucky's stance on the issue of cattle industry traceability leading to the NCBA Cattle Industry Convention in Orlando next week. It's important to understand that the proposed policy is not the final version of the resolution to be put into NCBA's policy book and most likely will receive amendments at NCBA Convention next week. Producer delegates from KY, and across the nation, will be at NCBA Convention and will sit through the grassroots policy process. Proposed policies are not official policy until approved by the NCBA Board of Directors. It will not automatically become a federal law once passed.

KCA will be engaged in the process and make decisions on behalf of our 32,000 producers across the state. KCA believes in a robust, voluntary traceability system. Based on producer and industry feedback KCA believes an effective animal disease traceability program should:

• Be compatible with private sector animal ID and verification programs backed by the USDA.
  • Be compatible with the general traceability principles of World Organization for Animal Health.
  • Recognize existing USDA programs for beef exports.
  • Be built using infrastructure that supports other potential uses of ID.
  • Utilize low-cost electronic official tagging devices paid for by federal and/or state funds, when possible.
  • Require that cattle ID information for disease traceability be kept confidential and strongly protected from disclosure.
  • Protect ownership information from disclosure to future owners.
  • Protect producers from liability for acts of others, after the cattle have left the producer's control.
  • Operate at the speed of commerce.
  • Maintain existing state brand inspection activities without replacement or impediment.
  • Work within a framework to accommodate all classes of cattle.

Kentucky Cattlemen's Association is a grassroots organization and our membership and Board of Directors have given guidance to stand behind supporting a strong animal disease traceability system. We look forward to participating in the process at the NCBA Cattle Industry Convention next week.

Please contact our office at 859-278-0899 with any questions.

Valley Vet is charging $85 for 20 of those tags. I think the USDA wants to go nationwide with this. I think The USDA is freaked out about mad cow. The scorched earth policy of killing all stock in the area worked fine to eradicate mad cow.

Being tracked by the government is creepy. Next the government will be putting these chips in people. Bangs vax and tags are no longer required in Oregon and many other states. In Oregon these radio frequency ID tags are required for import cattle over 18 months of age, rodeo stock, show stock and dairy stock- so far.

Latest posts