Australia cattle market

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
I let a lady from Australia run cattle on my place that's about four hours away from where I live.
I talk with her from time to time, she was telling me the cattle market in Australia is down, she said Australia usually follows the US market.
Cattle futures have been going down steadily, the calf market is still pretty good here, but the cows aren't bringing what they were back in the summer.
There is supposed to be a shortage, but I can't figure out why the futures keep going down?

Demand is also down. It's December, grilling season is over, the packers coolers are full and it's preg check season in the Midwest. Huge runs of cows that are open or cows that owners just don't want to carry all winter.

The only thing saving these feeder cattle prices is cheap feed.

I let a lady from Australia run cattle on my place that's about four hours away from where I live.
I talk with her from time to time, she was telling me the cattle market in Australia is down, she said Australia usually follows the US market.
Cattle futures have been going down steadily, the calf market is still pretty good here, but the cows aren't bringing what they were back in the summer.
There is supposed to be a shortage, but I can't figure out why the futures keep going down?
Yeh it follows the US market alright but 180 degrees out of synch. When ours are high yours are at rock bottom and vice versa. We have had a significant rally in the last couple of weeks, we had some rain when the forecast was doom and gloom so people are now looking to put calves on their grass.

Ken

Cow prices are low here in East TN and surrounding areas. Kill cows bring more than breds. The prices of the middle of US are double what we are getting.

In my region though we are short on hay for a few years running.

Cow numbers are very low. Still makes no sense to me!

We did our weekly grocery shopping after church yesterday. Thing are getting pretty thin in our freezer. There was supposed to be some roasts on sale so we were looking at the meat cooler (which we never do). Never found the sale roasts, they might have sold out. I noticed that the beef section of the cooler was a lot smaller than the pork or chicken. And the prices way too high for us to buy anything.
With our open winter so far the elk never came down to the valley. I just have to next Sunday to shoot an elk. I have a date to get a beef killed the end of January. That means the meat wont get to our freezer until mid February. Looks like a lot of pork or chicken on the menu for the next month and a half.

Latest posts