Market reports

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I went and looked at the market reports for Wednesday last week and Thursday this week. Between the two sales I bought 28 pairs. I bought the majority of the broken mouth pairs at both sales. One sale listed BM pairs at $1,750 to $2,000 in their report. The most I paid was $1,770. Had a $1,680 average. The other sale listed BM pairs at $1,700 to $1,950. The most I paid was $1700 and had a $1,566 average. Hmmmm do you think that they inflated things a bit on their report?

The thing is it is like I said I bought the majority of the cows in that class. I was the top of the market. What I didn't buy was even lower priced pairs which I didn't want. I want the bigger cows and bigger calves. I don't buy the real light cows or sorry sickly cows or very young or sick looking calves. I think they over report the market to convince people who are considering selling that now is the time.

Some barns are worse about it than others, but I think they're trying to show a rosy market picture to entice others to bring their cattle in to sell at their salebarn

Report the best of the best . Most of the markets in Alabama have a USDA representative and do a report . I think these are more accurate than a couple that do their own reports . How is it done where you are ?

Report the best of the best . Most of the markets in Alabama have a USDA representative and do a report . I think these are more accurate than a couple that do their own reports . How is it done where you are ?
In Tennessee the Department of Agricultural has a reporter at many of the sales. In Virginia its hit or miss as to how they are reported. Most near me report their own sale because the state charges the market to do it.

In Tennessee the Department of Agricultural has a reporter at many of the sales. In Virginia its hit or miss as to how they are reported. Most near me report their own sale because the state charges the market to do it.
Saw the report from Sarurday sale at Greeneville this morning. Looks like feeders have gone down a wee bit. This to be expected thru the 4th of July?

Some states there are a lot of sales reports by the USDA. Out here Washington has one sale with a USDA report. Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, and California don't have a single report by the USDA.

Saw the report from Sarurday sale at Greeneville this morning. Looks like feeders have gone down a wee bit. This to be expected thru the 4th of July?
Thursday they sell pairs and bred cows first. I only watched a few calves sell befor eI left. The first lot through the ring was 30 head of 750 pound black steers. They sold for $2.37. That is $1,777 a head. Didn't seen down to me.

Sold 5 cows last week . ,89 for 2 ,.90 for 2 and a $1.00 for one . All 5 averaged about $ 1,100. 3 were old , 1 bad attitude, and 1 a poor producer . Pleased with the prices .
I sold 1 3 weeks ago for 1.1650. Seen them as high as 1.28. But a little cheaper now.

Last edited:

Latest posts