Strong Yearling Market

Help Support CattleToday:

It was. Hogs made a good living back then. Buy gilts throw a boar in and 114 days later you got a litter of 7-10. 5-6 months later you're selling fat hogs or even shorter 2 months later selling feeder pigs. Two litters a year. Fast return on money.
Back in the day hogs were called the mortgage lifters.
I remember old farmers pricing new trucks by how many hogs = new truck.
lol :) as a kid I thought it was the funniest thing to hear them talk about hogs as if they were currency.

It was. Hogs made a good living back then. Buy gilts throw a boar in and 114 days later you got a litter of 7-10. 5-6 months later you're selling fat hogs or even shorter 2 months later selling feeder pigs. Two litters a year. Fast return on money.
Basic operation here used to be a small dairy and some sows. Usually, two groups of sows farrowing every 6 months or so. Sows ate a lot of home-grown oats and a little waste milk. Their feeder pigs were a money a money maker.

Funny thing is a couple decades after all the family farms exited pigs - - we had a string of huge hog factories move in. They build a big self-contained complex back off the road, and space them every twenty miles or so for bio security.

I think the yearling market trends like the grain market - - big $$$ for one to two great years before prices start to drop fast. This was a great yearling year, and 2023 will be too if Bilden does not do something stupid.

I think retaining calves would be a safter bet than loading up on expensive cows.

I have 3 Jersey females. The long yearling half Angus has become a fence crawler. The other two- An old dry pet cow and a high maintanece bottle calf.

I had halter broke the half Angus, raised her gentle and handlable, turned her out for a few weeks and now it's like no hand has ever been laid on her. She breaks the fence every night. I wonder what the market is right now for a 750lb open black heifer?

I have 3 Jersey females. The long yearling half Angus has become a fence crawler. The other two- An old dry pet cow and a high maintanece bottle calf.

I had halter broke the half Angus, raised her gentle and handlable, turned her out for a few weeks and now it's like no hand has ever been laid on her. She breaks the fence every night. I wonder what the market is right now for a 750lb open black heifer?
Maybe she's looking for a bull...

It may not be as bad as normal but every year there is an October slump
How can that be! All the ex spurts on here say not to wean and sell early to keep them for the extra weight and sell when everyone else does I'm October 🙄

Another reason to sell the fence crawling heifer. The bull is her sire, this is why I pen her up at night.
Lately all his attention has been focused on a red cow in another pasture.

I agree with @kenny thomas as we usually have an Oct slump in this area too. We have found it to be better to sell in August or wait until late late fall/ early winter... or even to wait until Jan....
We watch the markets and make decisions based on that and also when we have payments due. Plus grass conditions as to when we wean calves as well... lots of pieces to make up the selling decisions. But we have found that often when there is a ton of cattle going to market off pastures that the prices will drop a bit.
This may not be a typical year...

Time to start looking at buying some of these bull calves in the 400 and up range....

I remember you saying you had moved... can you put it in your avatar.....go to top right click on your name, down to account details, down to location... and put in your general area and save... it will show up so we know when you ask a question the general area where you are...

Fence climbers, jumpers and "tearer uppers", need a new home... I would say all according to how much "dairy she shows" will determine... anywhere from $1.00 to 1.50 lb.... here they would bring 1.20-1.40.....

@Travlr ... if I am thinking right, these are the calves off his one and dones that had to be off the lease by Sept 1st... and the cows went to market while still in good flesh and he normally will sell them 30-60 days later.... he puts them on the irrigated land there after regrowth from haying... @Dave, correct me if I am off base....

Also, after years of experience with raising jer/ang crosses... they are the worst for attitudes of most of the beef crosses I had done. I prefer to not have any jer/ang crosses to keep. Make great beef... I have one now that is a jer/hol with/angus sire... that is standoffish and she will probably not stay here... if she does, it will be to be a "beef cow" and not in the barn as a dual purpose.... Her dam is a very good jer/hol that has done a bang up job of raising calves for me in the past. But the heifer has a standoffish attitude and I am not a fan. She has a little of the dairy look to her also...

Why so light? Late calving?
Calves out of the BM cows born in April and May. I bought cows later than normal which resulted in calves born later. They have been weaned 3 weeks now and eating green grass in irrigated hay meadow.
What do you feed 3 wts? Here they would be getting a lot of corn.
Last year I fed 7-8 pounds of grass hay, a little under 2 pounds of cracked corn, and 1 pound of alfalfa. The alfalfa wasn't fed everyday but at a rate that works out to a pound a day. That cost me $1.08 a day.

Latest posts