Market report wording.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I and others have mentioned that the dock of calves other than black is an actual discount and not a base price without a so called premium for black hided calves.
This is a market report from Monday's sale in Lexington.
It's not really my intention to dredge that topic up again, but since I saw it on official record again and couldn't get a copy of it during the last conversations about. I thought I'd post a screenshot of this current report.
It's nothing new, this or similar wording has been used often in the reports for various yards and sales.E438900D-1574-4610-BF80-89733E661E9F.png

Around here when "value added" is mentioned... it is usually because they are weaned, bunk broke, vaccinated... I have seen colored cattle, mostly smokies, called value added at the stock yards. Also "all natural" are considered "value added" cattle.

Around here when "value added" is mentioned... it is usually because they are weaned, bunk broke, vaccinated... I have seen colored cattle, mostly smokies, called value added at the stock yards. Also "all natural" are considered "value added" cattle.
Yeah, any color calves can be value added, like you said that just refers to them being weaned, vaccinated etc.
The non black calves are still always behind the black ones even if value added.

It seems I have been seeing that wording more often on market reports. It reflects what is actually happening.
I took off two late born steers yesterday (I know the market is down but they needed to go).
One was red with a mottled white face and the other black. I was surprised when they brought within one cent of each other, I was expecting a beating on the colored calf as a single with the market off a little.

Good calves will bring good prices.The odd-ball cattle are a lot harder to find the buyers for.

Value added means exactly what @farmerjan says. It has nothing to do with color.

Value added means exactly what @farmerjan says. It has nothing to do with color.
Yes, I'm not sure how the value added wordage got attributed to the off color description.
We sell calves both black,BWF and Herefords as value added

@mwj From what I understand the lineback or spotted calves that might be seen as longhorns or dairy crosses probably aren't even recorded in those reports.
It's been a while, but I have seen some market reports that instead of saying off color have said nonblack calves facing docks or discounts I've seen both words used.

Yes, I'm not sure how the value added wordage got attributed to the off color description.
We sell calves both black,BWF and Herefords as value added

@mwj From what I understand the lineback or spotted calves that might be seen as longhorns or dairy crosses probably aren't even recorded in those reports.
It's been a while, but I have seen some market reports that instead of saying off color have said nonblack calves facing docks or discounts I've seen both words used.
Around here they use the words "pre-conditioned" at the sale barn, but the USDA report calls it "value-added". Our local barn even has "preconditioned only" sales, but to sell in those you have to present records of days weaned and vaccination dates with Lot numbers of the vaccines used.

Around here they use the words "pre-conditioned" at the sale barn, but the USDA report calls it "value-added". Our local barn even has "preconditioned only" sales, but to sell in those you have to present records of days weaned and vaccination dates with Lot numbers of the vaccines used.
There have been those kinds of sales here and we have frequently sold in them, but they are no longer having those special sales. There is however still a Hereford influence calf sale that has the same requirements and records.
I believe that the yards that report is from may have a tag program where you can meet the same or similar requirements of the former CPH-45 sales having met requirements and having records along with special tags, then they are announced and sold during a regular sale day. I haven't looked into yet, as I'm not sure it would be worth it, one of the benefits of the CPH sales was that they graded and grouped out all eligible cattle and sold larger lots which helped them to bring more by virtue of numbers of calves in a group.

There are no USDA reports on sale in Oregon. So it is just the sale yards own report. They just don't say anything about weaned, vaccinated, etc because that is the majority of the calves. But here is their comment from last weeks sale.

Comments: THE FEEDER MARKET WAS SOFTER TODAY ESPECIALLY ON BAWLING CALVES. BUTCHER COWS WERE $1-$2 DOLLARS CHEAPER

Latest posts