Where NOT to buy cattle...

Help Support CattleToday:

RustyTub

Reaction score
...behind the scene in the barns at one of the country's biggest cattle shows. Specifically, the Cattlemen's Congress held in OKC last week. Especially when the folks you're talking to have a ginormous trophy for winning best of this or that perched on top of their grooming cabinet. But, 7k for a Grand Champion is not all that far out of line if your business is seed stock. She sure was pretty. I did get a lot of farm names and contacts tho. Not everything a man raises is going to win top prize and will be priced accordingly.

I could walk the stalls and alleys for hours watching these young folks groom and primp their pride and joys. Takes me back to the days of being led by the hand by Dad at state fair time walking the same barns.

Y'all be careful with these cold temps over the next couple of days.

Rusty Tub out

Ever hear of these folks??
Not sure about the title of your thread tho. Do u just mean prices???
There was some 6 figure animals sold at this sale. I stopped off at Texas roadhouse for dinner that Saturday and a guy at the bar had already spent his money. I stumbled across this sale from him. He was still watching online. Bought 2 or 3 animals. He flew in from Ohio if I remember right.

Ever hear of these folks??
Not sure about the title of your thread tho. Do u just mean prices???
There was some 6 figure animals sold at this sale. I stopped off at Texas roadhouse for dinner that Saturday and a guy at the bar had already spent his money. I stumbled across this sale from him. He was still watching online. Bought 2 or 3 animals. He flew in from Ohio if I remember right.
Griswold Cattle is a pretty big and well known operation in Stillwater. Show cattle and club calf emphasis. Mainly angus, simmental, and maine anjou, but some other odds and ends in the sale. Many of them percentage cattle. Even sold some hereford cross heifers bred for producing show steers - and pasture exposed to a corriente bull for their first calf! I think those were by a guest consigner.

Two day sale with 524 live lots averaging $8134. And $668,745 of frozen genetics (embryos and semen) sold.

Owners are John and Jeannie Griswold. John is a little older than Jeannie. She is the daughter of Gib Yardley who is a familiar name in the seedstock and cattle business in Utah. Here is an interesting article about them.

Oh I think it's the dumbest thing ever. But some people have the money and want that purple ribbon and banner at whatever the price.
75k is a bit much, but in most places, it is considered a donation (for 4-H or FFA) steers; or advertising if the sale will make press.

Recently, someone gave me a Walking Horse Magazine from 1978 ( I was away at college). It had my Dad's picture in it as selling the highest-price Colt in an East Tennessee sale. The dollar price was nice, but when my son ran the numbers, the present-day value was about $150k.

75k is a bit much, but in most places, it is considered a donation (for 4-H or FFA) steers; or advertising if the sale will make press.

Recently, someone gave me a Walking Horse Magazine from 1978 ( I was away at college). It had my Dad's picture in it as selling the highest-price Colt in an East Tennessee sale. The dollar price was nice, but when my son ran the numbers, the present-day value was about $150k.
It benefits the bull that sired it's owner, when a steer sells for $75k like that. You see it all the time with halter and pleasure horse registered sales. The owners may buy them themselves, or will get each other to buy their horses. And you will see those horses and the prices they brought, on their sire's webpage for sure.

Last edited:
It benefits the bull that sired it's owner, when they sell like that. YOu see it al the time with halter and pleasure horse registered sales. The owners may buy them them selves, or wil lget each other to buy their horses. and yolu will see those horses and the prices they brought, on their sire's webpage for sure.
Yes, it definitely benefited my father and his brother on future stud fees. But we were not wealthy and I can assure you there was no reciprocation deal on that colt.