Craigslist cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Three kinds of sellers on CL:

1) I mid July I found a new farmer selling a herd of 8, 2 year old heifers for $600 a piece. It was a mix ( as new ranchers tend to buy) of angus, tiger stripes, and two black cows with horns. All were in excellent body condition. It was the middle of the Texas drought and he was desperate to sell. Unfortunately, I did not get to him on time. But that would have been an excellent add to my herd after getting rid of the horned cows.

2) I also find a lot of new ranchers completely clueless to the market prices trying to sell their cows for a lot more than they're are worth, usually because they over paid for them in the first place. They usually market them as grass-fed or come to a bucket, or flat out as pets to hide that the cows are distressed and hungry and a financial drain on them.

3) Then, there's the 3rd kind. The guys who know will get killed at the sale barn because of poor body condition so instead try to find a sucker (again, usually a new rancher in the 1 and 2 category above) on Craig's List to unload their crappy cows on. And the cycle repeats.

Oh! And don't get me started to the miniature breeds. That's another circus of its own.

Three kinds of sellers on CL:

1) I mid July I found a new farmer selling a herd of 8, 2 year old heifers for $600 a piece. It was a mix ( as new ranchers tend to buy) of angus, tiger stripes, and two black cows with horns. All were in excellent body condition. It was the middle of the Texas drought and he was desperate to sell. Unfortunately, I did not get to him on time. But that would have been an excellent add to my herd after getting rid of the horned cows.

2) I also find a lot of new ranchers completely clueless to the market prices trying to sell their cows for a lot more than they're are worth, usually because they over paid for them in the first place. They usually market them as grass-fed or come to a bucket, or flat out as pets to hide that the cows are distressed and hungry and a financial drain on them.

3) Then, there's the 3rd kind. The guys who know will get killed at the sale barn because of poor body condition so instead try to find a sucker (again, usually a new rancher in the 1 and 2 category above) on Craig's List to unload their crappy cows on. And the cycle repeats.

Oh! And don't get me started to the miniature breeds. That's another circus of its own.
I think more # 2's and not just newbies . PT Barnum said , there's a sucker born every minute ; speaks volumes when buying livestock, cats and dogs .

And yet, we went from something like 20 barn cats to 3. But we do have some fat, happy eagles, owls & 'yotes.
Mom at one point had 40 some barn cats. Dad told her she had to cut those numbers down, so we put an ad in the paper for free cats. Dad was out there catching cats with a fishing net. There was a lady that came all the way from Casper just for a few white cats, as we had several of them. She didn't care it they were wild. I think they gave away about 30 cats.

Mom at one point had 40 some barn cats. Dad told her she had to cut those numbers down, so we put an ad in the paper for free cats. Dad was out there catching cats with a fishing net. There was a lady that came all the way from Casper just for a few white cats, as we had several of them. She didn't care it they were wild. I think they gave away about 30 cats.
White hide/fur brings good money

Latest posts