Craigslist cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I have no idea why, but my curiosity is genuinely peaked.

I don't know that I've seen many of the non-miniature "zebus"

Are they worth anything?

They don't look so "mini" to me.... but at least they look well fed... I guess the ones I have seen are really just small... 600 lbs for a bull is not that big... They are a fad around here... but I have been told that they make great beef if you like smaller cuts... one acquaintance told me they are nice dispositioned over all....

They don't look so "mini" to me.... but at least they look well fed... I guess the ones I have seen are really just small... 600 lbs for a bull is not that big... They are a fad around here... but I have been told that they make great beef if you like smaller cuts... one acquaintance told me they are nice dispositioned over all....
That's what I said, ma'am, these aren't the miniature variety and I don't know anything about the non-miniature variety. I'm trying to see if anyone does.

Everything I've read says they're just indocene cattle same as brimmers.

Sorry, I misread your post. The acquaintance here had the "non" mini ones... but they still were not real big.
The ones in the picture almost look more like a watusi that a guy had here... it was tame as a lamb and he took it to the fairs and all just for people to see....
I saw a 15 month old Gyr heifer at the exotic animal sale here in Va bring a little over 4,000.... She had the longest face and ears... almost ugly she was so different and kinda neat to look at. Very quiet and tame also. I will bet she weighed 1200 lbs....she did not have horns.

Sorry, I misread your post. The acquaintance here had the "non" mini ones... but they still were not real big.
The ones in the picture almost look more like a watusi that a guy had here... it was tame as a lamb and he took it to the fairs and all just for people to see....
I saw a 15 month old Gyr heifer at the exotic animal sale here in Va bring a little over 4,000.... She had the longest face and ears... almost ugly she was so different and kinda neat to look at. Very quiet and tame also. I will bet she weighed 1200 lbs....she did not have horns.
Well, that bull is way over the 600 top out of the minis, if sold for a slaughter bull alone I expect he could bring what the rest are bringing in his lighter weight class, my math has him bringing maybe a grand or a little or over. I can't see why mama there wouldn't bring between 700 and 900 in her condition with the auction report I'm reading, though I'm about to open a different one. The listing has been reposted at least once using the same photo, heifer might either bring slaughter prices or somebody wants her for themselves. The calf? Hell, I don't know, I have a relative that might give me 150 for a project baby.

I'm going to tag @Warren Allison because he's seen more weird stuff at the sales, @kenny thomas for same, and @Caustic Burno because he's the brimmer man and he'll know just what the hell these are.

Well, that bull is way over the 600 top out of the minis, if sold for a slaughter bull alone I expect he could bring what the rest are bringing in his lighter weight class, my math has him bringing maybe a grand or a little or over. I can't see why mama there wouldn't bring between 700 and 900 in her condition with the auction report I'm reading, though I'm about to open a different one. The listing has been reposted at least once using the same photo, heifer might either bring slaughter prices or somebody wants her for themselves. The calf? Hell, I don't know, I have a relative that might give me 150 for a project baby.

I'm going to tag @Warren Allison because he's seen more weird stuff at the sales, @kenny thomas for same, and @Caustic Burno because he's the brimmer man and he'll know just what the hell these are.
The look like Brahma x Criolo to me. Probably Pineywoods, Fla Scrub or Fla Cracker, judging by the shape of the horns.

Think my math might hold?
That's a 900-1000 lb cow, and I'd bet that is her calf. Probably best to sell them as a pair and the cow exposed. Or might spend a few bucks at the barn and get her preg tested. Or hold her a couple of more months til the calf is weaned, then sell her and keep the calf a while. Bull is 1200 lbs or so. You should get your money back and then some on the bull and cow, and clear those 2 calves. Offer them $1500. If they don't take that, then tell them you will split the difference with them.

That's a 900-1000 lb cow, and I'd bet that is her calf. Probably best to sell them as a pair and the cow exposed. Or might spend a few bucks at the barn and get her preg tested. Or hold her a couple of more months til the calf is weaned, then sell her and keep the calf a while. Bull is 1200 lbs or so. You should get your money back and then some on the bull and cow, and clear those 2 calves. Offer them $1500. If they don't take that, then tell them you will split the difference with them.
Reckon where that heifer came into the picture?

The price is in line with the target market. If you gather up 4 equal pairs to sell you can bring the price down.

The price is in line with the target market. If you gather up 4 equal pairs to sell you can bring the price down.
For the jersey? It's not in line with the local market here, there's several dudes selling good jerseys and other dairy cattle significantly cheaper in the area. For the target market, maybe, but I wouldn't.

For the jersey? It's not in line with the local market here, there's several dudes selling good jerseys and other dairy cattle significantly cheaper in the area. For the target market, maybe, but I wouldn't.
Something that is ''close'' is not the same as.

Something that is ''close'' is not the same as.
I'm sure there's a target audience, and if they want to pay that then they can. I'm not really into dairy, over the years we have had some, and my first cows were dairy and dairy cross, but it's not my thing. I am semi in the market for one, but not pressingly. For what I would do with one, and what most would, 4k isn't needed.

Different strokes, different folks.

Latest posts