Mandatory EID tags for KY cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

They'd have to flag every animal from that barn from that day anyway. They'd have to send messages/emails to everyone, and people would have to revaccinate immediately, or check their cattle if they wanted to deal with it. If it was bad, the local news would pick it up and every buyer from the last month would be alerted in no time.

Everyone knows that a sick animal doesn't bring anything, and producers have access to one of the best veterinary corps in the world as well. Furthermore, the USDA offices in each county are not THAT incompetent. The problem would be jumped on.

And it's not as useful to have the exact animal information as one might think. It's more useful to pinpoint the population(s) where the disease is, and where the animals who have been exposed are at. And the feedlots are on the speed dials of the auction houses. As for the smaller producers that take cattle home, it would take a while for a disease to spread fence line by fence line across even a county. I don't know how knowledge of that wouldn't get out real quick. The first farm that had an issue would have to get the vet involved, and then expertise will be brought to bear quickly. If it's a real issue, then the vets are already probably required by law to let the USDA know.

My point: the vaccination skills/tech and herd health protocols in the US are already among the best in the world. The system we have works. The tags have not shown to improve anything but collection of other data that really doesn't help what they say they are designed to do. If it ain't broken…

I'm so confused on what "exact animal information" you guys think the tags contain?

A point of origin is all it contain.

What other data do you think is collected from the tag?

USDA office in every county? I've never seen one.... haha

Veterinarian? Nearest one is 150 miles away.

Anyways I'll keep tagging my animals that are sold and not give it a second thought. If the gov't or anybody is interested in where the animal came from no big deal to me.

Now I'll put my tin foil hat on so that the govt doesn't control my mind thru GMOs, and put my phone in a Faraday cage to keep the NSA from reading the texts I send to my wife. Haha.

Premise ID was a big deal 10+ years ago when the mad cow deal was hot. Cattlemen's meetings often had a speaker from the Gov to tell about the good that each producer could do to submit the needed info for the issuance of an ID. They would hand out the forms and collect them. I never did it. But I have been in the scrapie eradication program (sheep) for a long time and probably have something close to one from that effort.

I'm so confused on what "exact animal information" you guys think the tags contain?

What other data do you think is collected from the tag?

USDA office in every county? I've never seen one.... haha

Veterinarian? Nearest one is 150 miles away.

Anyways I'll keep tagging my animals that are sold and not give it a second thought. If the gov't or anybody is interested in where the animal came from no big deal to me.

Now I'll put my tin foil hat on so that the govt doesn't control my mind thru GMOs, and put my phone in a Faraday cage to keep the NSA from reading the texts I send to my wife. Haha.

FYI:).

If that's the case, an outbreak would take 100 years to get across such a sparsely populated area with natural wooded areas serving as a buffer/quarantine wall.

Not much need for tracking…

Remember that disease can spread from farm to adjacent farm, but also by truck. Cattle moving by truck can spread disease much faster and farther. If an economic devastating disease (foot and mouth or such) were to appear in a feedlot or a large stocker operation, seems like it would be a good thing to know where that animal came from and when. Seems like we learned in the past few years how fast and far a virus can travel.

My point: the vaccination skills/tech and herd health protocols in the US are already among the best in the world. The system we have works. The tags have not shown to improve anything but collection of other data that really doesn't help what they say they are designed to do. If it ain't broken…
This is no different than brucellosis
Testing and tagging. Except it's all animals being sold.
You don't think that the back tag that gets glued to the market cow that you sell is attached to your name and address? Of course it is. For several reasons. It's a way to track zoonotic diseases, but it's also a way to track down producers who get caught in random residual drug testing at the plants.
Back tags are just a temporary identification that is good in theory, but the glue doesn't always stick or the tags get rubbed off.

EIDs are probably coming, not going to stop it. Wether it law or the law of economics. It will happen.

If the consumers see it as a good idea the packers will embrace it. Then the trickle down effect begins . If the packers require the feed lots to do it, the feed lots will want the producers to do it. Premiums or discounts however you want to look at it will convince a lot of people to comply or get out.

You don't think that the back tag that gets glued to the market cow that you sell is attached to your name and address? Of course it is. For several reasons. It's a way to track zoonotic diseases, but it's also a way to track down producers who get caught in random residual drug testing at the plants.
Back tags are just a temporary identification that is good in theory, but the glue doesn't always stick or the tags get rubbed off.

EIDs are probably coming, not going to stop it. Wether it law or the law of economics. It will happen.

If the consumers see it as a good idea the packers will embrace it. Then the trickle down effect begins . If the packers require the feed lots to do it, the feed lots will want the producers to do it. Premiums or discounts however you want to look at it will convince a lot of people to comply or get out.
Well, evidently not today:). They already watered it down.

When people tell you something is inevitable, don't believe it. We have agency, and we can vote.

And some of us are not so in debt that we always have to listen/comply.

Well, evidently not today:). They already watered it down.

When people tell you something is inevitable, don't believe it. We have agency, and we can vote.

And some of us are not so in debt that we always have to listen/comply.

Remember that disease can spread from farm to adjacent farm, but also by truck. Cattle moving by truck can spread disease much faster and farther. If an economic devastating disease (foot and mouth or such) were to appear in a feedlot or a large stocker operation, seems like it would be a good thing to know where that animal came from and when. Seems like we learned in the past few years how fast and far a virus can travel.
You're right, but foot and mouth was 1929…

What was the last major outbreak of a disease? Was it not Mad Cow?

Doug Ferguson wrote about his take on EIDs in Beef Producer. {click here}

Official HDX/FDX buttons are assigned to a premise ID in an APHIS database and then shipped to a producer. Rudimentary compared to the vision of a world known as "Internet of Things" (IoT). IoT is a world where everything is connected to the Internet. As I think about the things already connected to the Internet (vehicles, fridges, phones, iRobots), the idea doesn't seem far off. All goods and raw materials would be electronically tagged. As they move through manufacturing and supply chains, the ID from the tag is recorded in a database along with other information such as date, time and place. Databases could be used to track goods and materials the same way UPS can track a box. While the tag only contains a unique number, the question is how much information would be recorded and who would have access to it?

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I'll play devils advocate.
What would our export market look like if we didn't remove SRM's and how would that affect our domestic market?
When would our export markets have reopened with no internationally accepted traceability system in effect?
There are hundreds of thousands of calves on feed in this country with no brands, and many cows as well. Brands and tattoos work well enough but they are not a part of a mandatory traceability system.
I believe the US has been doing neither and sell to most markets we do.

Maybe your states rules are different. But even with our states mandatory tags nobody has a clue how many cows I have (myself included). I buy the tags in large lots every few years and use them as needed. They aren't registered or assigned to individual animals rather just an origin. The tag merely has a number that if someone has the cow/tag in their possession can look-up the number and see where it originated.

So for the gov't to know how many cows I have they would need to come count them...
Let's not let logic kill the runaway conspiracy theories please.

Part of that is because farmers as a whole are "sticks in the mud" and very resistant to any sort of change be it good or bad. A just majority of producers do things the way they do simply "because that's the way my dad and grandpa did it".
This is true until it's not. The way I do things is very different from my forbearers. In fact, I spent a lot of time studying the mistakes they made, both economically/budget wise and on the cattle management side. As I downloaded PDF after PDF of free fact sheets off the internet, I was surprised at how much of the information has been FREELY available for a LONG time, but also how many people that actually owned land and cattle knew little about some of this information.

There are A LOT of people that don't study land/soil types, cattle husbandry/stocking rates/efficiency metrics, or the financial side of this market. I think and eye opener was when a sale barn OWNER told me that my heifer with a BCS of 6.5 might not breed back and she should be in a condition of 9 or 10. Then I realized he didn't know the standard terms for the industry.

The point: Some of us are quite progressive. We just want an even playing field.

Control over our information is part of it. Not wanting to upgrade in this area does not mean we are 'sticks in the mud'. When change comes, we ask, "Good or bad for who?" If it ain't good for us, then the next question should be, "Is it bad for us? Who does it benefit?" If it's not really for the greater good but for another group that doesn't have our best interests at heart, shouldn't we resist?

Doug Ferguson wrote about his take on EIDs in Beef Producer. {click here}

Official HDX/FDX buttons are assigned to a premise ID in an APHIS database and then shipped to a producer. Rudimentary compared to the vision of a world known as "Internet of Things" (IoT). IoT is a world where everything is connected to the Internet. As I think about the things already connected to the Internet (vehicles, fridges, phones, iRobots), the idea doesn't seem far off. All goods and raw materials would be electronically tagged. As they move through manufacturing and supply chains, the ID from the tag is recorded in a database along with other information such as date, time and place. Databases could be used to track goods and materials the same way UPS can track a box. While the tag only contains a unique number, the question is how much information would be recorded and who would have access to it?
Exactly.

While the tag only contains a unique number, the question is how much information would be recorded and who would have access to it?

Last thing ill ask for the 432 time what information do you think "they" are collecting from a passive tag that only has point of origin data?

If the gov't wants to know how many cows you have they will just send someone to count, or pass mandatory reporting laws with jail penalties for not doing it.

If your worried about carcass quality information, News flash that is being tracked and monitored by guys with skin in the game with or without your tag.

Anywho. You guys better get some heavy duty tinfoil hats.

If you are worried about someone collecting RFID tag "data", then you better take your cell phone and toss it in a lake. Because it collects actual useful/valuable information constantly...

Last thing ill ask for the 432 time what information do you think "they" are collecting from a passive tag that only has point of origin data?

If the gov't wants to know how many cows you have they will just send someone to count, or pass mandatory reporting laws with jail penalties for not doing it.

If your worried about carcass quality information, News flash that is being tracked and monitored by guys with skin in the game with or without your tag.

Anywho. You guys better get some heavy duty tinfoil hats.

If you are worried about someone collecting RFID tag "data", then you better take your cell phone and toss it in a lake. Because it collects actual useful/valuable information constantly...
You're right about the cell phones, except some of us pay for VPN's and keep all the stuff turned off we can. But the US has crap privacy protection, for sure.

And their are people who have kept their kids off off of Google accounts, Facebook and IG all the way through high school, and who only join to stay connected enough for relevant info rather than actually let those companies profile you and your family. And guess what? Kids can do just as well or even better on their education if they are NOT super connected. You just have to connect enough to have the benefits.

And if they collect data on your cattle from the barn, the feed lot, and at the packing plant, then you should have access to that data on your cattle as well, if they make you put in the tag. I might be open to tracking if I could trace my entire herd all the way through. But as @Silver said above, they won't give you that information.

And the tinfoil hat doesn't work anymore. You need something better. I bought a Magneto helmet from Ebay, so I'm good!

No, they are in fact using RFID tags to spy on us. There are entire teams of gov't agents dressed all in black with dark sunglasses driving black cars and flying black helicopters whose sole purpose is to track every cow's every step 24 hours a day to ensure we have no cow handling privacy whatsoever. It is part of a deep state plan in partnership with Bill Gates to control the masses with mind control using passive low frequency RFID technology.
I also have it on good authority from Jimmy at the gas station who got it from the waitress at the coffee shop who heard from a transient worker she was serving that Bill Gates has modified these tags to alter cattle's DNA to cause them to produce less methane and taste awful.
what does the siri app track and know about you?
What does the general motors app track and how does it know where you are if you need them to unlock the truck
Why is there an electronic strip in almost every denomination of paper money
why are we being eased into an electronic dollar
Why does the so-called help button (or whatever the program is named) that can unlock your car have the ability to shut your engine down remotely
I'm not a big conspiracy theorist but I'm watching the things being put in place that you can't undo in the name of "convenience and safety" becoming almost mandatory in every product made and I have to ask myself why is this happening
And after watching all of the "helpful" things that have been first introduced and then becoming a way of life for everyone I am getting concerned and it's not just ear tags

Latest posts