Coyotes or Mountain Lion got 2 calves.... Mystery??

Help Support CattleToday:

Hummmmm. wonder if that female bike rider that got her face ripped off by a cougar heard a scream?

As far a yotes hunting in packs... yes, many will remember a long string about it this past late winter and the debate that went on over it. (My posting)

The eastern coyote seems to be much larger then the western yote, and as stated earlier, often it is found to be a cross with a red wolf.

As I saw and and was told by our state wildlife experts (is there really such a thing?) These nasty critters often do hunt alone, for most of the year, especially when small game is plentiful, often a seasonal bounty of bunnies and other good eats.. But when things get tough, such as the deep end of winter, they will pack up to take down larger game, as the smaller game get exhausted. Thus starts the calf killing problems, because many of our calves are born in the Febuary-March times. Thus about the same time that the small game gets mighty thin around here.

Now, as far as proof, I did post several pics on the board that showed a pack of yotes working over a freshly killed calf. So... there ya go.... pictures don't usually lie.

In any case, they are out there, along with only the Lord knows what else, and they do after all.......have to eat. Thus..... things happen.

I know that I have just recently obtained more then two dozen traps for use next winter. Thus in an attempt to 'target' specificly yotes, I hope to keep my fence lines a bit more secure with a 'ring of steel' around them. And yes, for all you fellow animal lovers out here, these are the padded traps that minimize any leg or foot damage to the animals, so that an inadvertant catch of a non targeted animal, perhaps a mountain lion will not suffer foot trauma.

As far as Black Panthers being around, recently read an article somewhere that they have been live trapped in Arizona, and are assumed to be migrating from South or Central America. As AZ is actually historicly black panther territory.
I have personally seen several Black Panthers several years back when I was visiting Washington DC, they were picketing for some lost or hopeless cause..lol :cboy:

Well I don't seem to have as much time as some of you all do on the computer but I need to back up some statements I've made other than just the random crap comming off a few keyboards out there from folks that no more farm or ranch than the man in the moon (and no I don't mean everyone that posted to this thread or that I mention here).

First off Dave and Crowderfarms I did not deal with just any ole' conservation agent, actually the main person I dealt with is not a conservation agent at all rather he is a "Wildlife Dammage Biologist" by the name of Scott McWilliams who just happens to live in Missouri and is also a consultant for the state of Missouri in dealing with problems like I've had. I'm sure you have heard of "google", it's a search engine. Type in the guy's name I just gave along with either coyote or mountain lion after it and see how many hits ya' get. Also do a quick google search under bobcat's or bobcat food and you might actually read about them taking yearling deer. He personally witnessed a bobcat take down a deer as large as I said. I believe the guy. When my neighbors had him out teaching them about snaring yotes that were taking their goats he had just returned from Florida. He was there tracking and tagging mountain lions as well as doing some re-location work with them in the Everglades.

icandoit, looked at your member page and see your reeeetired and did not mention where you live! Glad to hear it. Hope you can learn something on this site and not get lured into smart a$$ crap by costic burno as it's pretty evident he don't live on no dang farm or ranch and you seem to really like the boy.

Burno, ya' still out there? You forgot to answer my question as to where the heck you live? Don't need your address, just wondering the state and area. It don't matter your a member of some cattle association like you put on your sig line ( I think I can join any one in any state if I just send them some money) as we had some dude in Arkansas that never owned a farm or cow in his life but was really active within our association there. He was nice, not a know it all. Knew he did not ranch nor did he pretend like he did.

Anybody out there from Texas saying there ain't no mountain lions there must be sitting in a house or appartment in Dallas or Houston and have never been to the Trans-Pecos Brushlands or the Texas hill country. I got friends in Texas right now dealing with a horse of theirs that had a chunk of it's neck taken out by a mountain lion. Be sure and get on your conservation web site and read all about those non-existant animals and the code on hunting them.

J

When I was a kid my older brother and dad was doing some fence work. We saw some big cat tracks. My dad told us about how there were a few around here but were rarely ever seen. About 5 years ago I was in a cubscout meeting in my basement. One of the dads was looking out the window and said " look at that coyote". Another of the dads that has been outdoors a lot was looking at me when I turned to him. It was obvious a cat. We could see the blocky head and the gait it was running with and the long tail it was no mistake it was a cat. Then once while elk hunting in Colorado I saw cat tracks in the snow. I followed them a littleways and saw blood covered snow where it had pulled its meal under a snowbank. The kill was something large. Form the looks of the snow it was probally a deer, but I didn't crawl in there to look. There have been a few sighting by others around here but these are the only ones I have saw firsthand.

I'll vouch for Coyotes hunting in packs. Five full grown adults hit our herd in '99, and managed to kill seven calves before we exterminated them all. The alpha dog was a biggun, but definitely purebred 'yote. Two or three of 'em would harass the cows while the rest would wait for a mama to get lax. Saw them try it once, luckily those Coyotes weren't too keen on a man riding a 4-wheeler at them at full speed. We must've got them all because we've had no problems with them since then. Dogs did get a sickly calf in '03, but the poor thing was half dead anyway.

Funniest thing I ever saw was a mama 'yote and a juvie pup try and mess with a cow that'd calved the night before. That old hereford gored the pup and stomped the living crap out of the mom while her calf stood ten yards away and watched. Good times... :cboy:

EIEIO":1r3v1ybn said:
Burno, ya' still out there? You forgot to answer my question as to where the heck you live? Don't need your address, just wondering the state and area. It don't matter your a member of some cattle association like you put on your sig line ( I think I can join any one in any state if I just send them some money) as we had some dude in Arkansas that never owned a farm or cow in his life but was really active within our association there. He was nice, not a know it all. Knew he did not ranch nor did he pretend like he did.

J

My coyote pen is probablly bigger than your whole place. If you read enough post you will know where I am from.

Caustic Burno":2a9el9qt said:
cowboy13":2a9el9qt said:
They ain't very big. Like a small mountain lion, but black and gray. They are small, but when you hear them scream you would think they were twice their size.

From the Texas Parks and Wildlife
Contrary to popular belief, there are no black panthers; no one has ever captured or killed a black mountain lion.

Caustic, are you saying they don't exist period or that they don't exist in Texas?

msscamp":1pl1uix1 said:
Caustic Burno":1pl1uix1 said:
cowboy13":1pl1uix1 said:
They ain't very big. Like a small mountain lion, but black and gray. They are small, but when you hear them scream you would think they were twice their size.

Contrary to popular belief, there are no black panthers; no one has ever captured or killed a black mountain lion.

Caustic, are you saying they don't exist period or that they don't exist in Texas?

They do not exsit never has been one documented capture or kill of a black mountain lion. There are black varations of jaguars in South America,different species of cat.

cowboy13":31iywj6c said:
That evening we heard that scream and it will give you goosebumps to hear it.
[/quote]

It will give you worse than goosebumps! It will raise every hair on the back of your neck (and a few other reactions not appropriate for polite conversation) and cause you check frequently over your shoulder depending on where you are.

Caustic Burno":39ovafhl said:
msscamp":39ovafhl said:
Caustic Burno":39ovafhl said:
cowboy13":39ovafhl said:

They do not exsit never has been one documented capture or kill of a black mountain lion. There are black varations of jaguars in South America,different species of cat.

I'm sure not trying to stir the pot here, but I would have to disagree with you, as I have seen them, my Dad has seen them, my older brothers have seen them, and the neighbor's daughter was attacked by one (the general consensus being that she stumbled across a mother with cubs - no she was not seriously hurt, but she had a fast horse, there was plenty of fawns that year, and she lit out of there like the hounds of hell were on her butt!). We had a black panther that regularly appeared on our ranch for quite a number of years, so I'm thinking it probably was not the same one. No, there are no documented kills from any of these sightings - but no one is in the habit of carrying a rifle and they are a protected species in Wyoming. After my experience with it I did a little research, and according to everything I was able to find, panthers, mountain lions, puma's, cougars and a few other names that I can't remember (depending on the area one lives in) are the same animal.

Now the truely amazing thing is every zoo in the country has a mountain lion, none are black. National Geographic would make you famous, come on give em call to come film the black cats of Old McDonalds farm. Heck I would even watch that documentary. Weird they only exsist on your ranch in dang near every state in he Union (according to the board) but they can't catch a black one. Maybe they are like green lizards and change colors once captured or when they think they are fixin to be shot. Some of ya'll must think you are Davy Crockett (killled a bar at 3). If you live in the Fla Glades I can buy you seen a panther(mountain lion) just little hard to swallow that St Loius to Nashville is ate up with em.

EIEIO":1qvqidak said:
Well I don't seem to have as much time as some of you all do on the computer but I need to back up some statements I've made other than just the random crap comming off a few keyboards out there from folks that no more farm or ranch than the man in the moon (and no I don't mean everyone that posted to this thread or that I mention here).

First off Dave and Crowderfarms I did not deal with just any ole' conservation agent, actually the main person I dealt with is not a conservation agent at all rather he is a "Wildlife Dammage Biologist" by the name of Scott McWilliams who just happens to live in Missouri and is also a consultant for the state of Missouri in dealing with problems like I've had. I'm sure you have heard of "google", it's a search engine. Type in the guy's name I just gave along with either coyote or mountain lion after it and see how many hits ya' get. Also do a quick google search under bobcat's or bobcat food and you might actually read about them taking yearling deer. He personally witnessed a bobcat take down a deer as large as I said. I believe the guy. When my neighbors had him out teaching them about snaring yotes that were taking their goats he had just returned from Florida. He was there tracking and tagging mountain lions as well as doing some re-location work with them in the Everglades.

icandoit, looked at your member page and see your reeeetired and did not mention where you live! Glad to hear it. Hope you can learn something on this site and not get lured into smart a$$ crap by costic burno as it's pretty evident he don't live on no dang farm or ranch and you seem to really like the boy.

Anybody out there from Texas saying there ain't no mountain lions there must be sitting in a house or appartment in Dallas or Houston and have never been to the Trans-Pecos Brushlands or the Texas hill country. I got friends in Texas right now dealing with a horse of theirs that had a chunk of it's neck taken out by a mountain lion. Be sure and get on your conservation web site and read all about those non-existant animals and the code on hunting them.

J
EIEIO, I'm not doubting what your Man in Mo. is saying. I just don't believe a Bobcat can take out a grown Deer. Maybe a dying one. Bobcats live on rabbits, squirrels, mice, etc.A friend of mine brought me a picture the other day he took of a print in his garden. He showed it to a game Warden, and was told it was a Bear track. There are no bears within 100 miles of us, It was clearly a cat track. I know they are elusive, but no one can ever prove they're here. Surely by now, someone would have shot one,or have a means of proof that we have them.

Caustic Burno":1n88yohd said:
Probablly a Screech OWL :shock: that caused those goose bumps.

These cat stories could partly be my fault. :lol: I used to have a place in the Trinity river bottom. They was hughe screech owls down there, big enough to fly off with a small child. I used to take people from town deer and hog hunting down in them woods. At night, setting around a fire one them things would scream and all the eyes got real big. I'd tell em it was a cat and they bought it every time. :lol: :lol: :lol: Some wouldn't even go back out in the woods. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Caustic Burno":ddl0b6tf said:
Now the truely amazing thing is every zoo in the country has a mountain lion, none are black. National Geographic would make you famous, come on give em call to come film the black cats of Old McDonalds farm. Heck I would even watch that documentary. Weird they only exsist on your ranch in dang near every state in he Union (according to the board) but they can't catch a black one. Maybe they are like green lizards and change colors once captured or when they think they are fixin to be shot. Some of ya'll must think you are Davy Crockett (killled a bar at 3). If you live in the Fla Glades I can buy you seen a panther(mountain lion) just little hard to swallow that St Loius to Nashville is ate up with em.

I certainly agree with CB today. I really would like to see one guys. Somebody please catch, take a picture, or shoot one of these black cats

Dave":xucwoj4n said:
People who actually see cougars are very rare.

Just might be that cougars are very rare. Not many of them.

Dave":xucwoj4n said:
In 54 years I have seen exactly 6 cougars in the wild.

Were any of them black?

I'm not picking on you Dave, you brought up some excellent points. Some of which I agree with. The cougars you saw. How big would you say they were? Just curious, are they bigger or smaller than the ones in the zoo?

I have never seen a black cougar. Don't know of anyone who claims to have seen one. They all appear to be the standard brown color around here. I know a number of hound hunters who tree lots of cats and they never talk about black cats. I did however see a black one in a Tarzan movie one time.
The one I saw while fly fishing was a big male. Probably 150 pounds plus. I got to watch it for 10-15 minutes, he was a big cat. The one I trapped was a small male. Probably a two year old that weighed 70-80 pounds. I have caught bigger ones in traps but they sort of take the trap apart for you and are gone when you arrive. Bears do that to coyote traps too. The one I saw on the road by Westport was a big cat, again 150 pound plus size. The other three it is tough to say how big they were because they were pretty much a blur hitting the brush. But a blur with a long tail.
Dave

EIEIO":2xymskzd said:

You were able to find enough time to make this post. How do we know you really farm or ranch? (Please don't feel the urge to prove it. Not necessary, I'm just trying to make a point) Talking about mountain lions, don't make you a farmer or rancher.

First off Dave and Crowderfarms I did not deal with just any ole' conservation agent, actually the main person I dealt with is not a conservation agent at all rather he is a "Wildlife Dammage Biologist" by the name of Scott McWilliams who just happens to live in Missouri and is also a consultant for the state of Missouri in dealing with problems like I've had. I'm sure you have heard of "google", it's a search engine.

I did the search. Interesting reading. Seems that most mountain lion sightings turn up false. I read about one in 99 that turned up real. Seems he and others were real happy to find that one was living in the wild. This one had killed a couple of deer. No cattle.

What a rude thing to say? We don't know if you live on a farm either. Personal attacks don't make your point. Both icandoit and cb add a lot to this board. CB can be abrasive at times, but many can learn a lot from him.

I'm in Texas, know lots of other folks that are too. I run cattle in both ne texas and s texas along the coast. Hunt out in w texas near San Angelo. Have hunted down in the hill country too, down around Medina, Pipe Creek, near Brady, and Hebronville. I'm sure there may very well be a mountain lion or two in Texas. I've even heard stories about black panthers in Texas. Had a city boy out hunting with us one year, who claimed he saw a black panther. He even shot it. Turned out to be a big old brangus cow. LOL Cost him about $1,300 for that hamburger that year. He has never lived it down. LOL

Triple D":1wfwwhbq said:
Caustic Burno":1wfwwhbq said:
Probablly a Screech OWL :shock: that caused those goose bumps.

These cat stories could partly be my fault. :lol: I used to have a place in the Trinity river bottom. They was hughe screech owls down there, big enough to fly off with a small child. I used to take people from town deer and hog hunting down in them woods. At night, setting around a fire one them things would scream and all the eyes got real big. I'd tell em it was a cat and they bought it every time. :lol: :lol: :lol: Some wouldn't even go back out in the woods. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You take Old McDonald in that Old and Lost River bottom you better have EMS ready. The neighbors black tomcat is wanderin around. :shock: He has got this bunch as nervous as if old Quanah Parker is saddled up and killin horses to get to em.

http://www.famoustexans.com/quanahparker.htm

Back in the 70's or early 80's, can't remember exactly when. But, in East Montgomery county, Texas, San Jacinto River area, there was a hugh black panther killed. The photo and story were in the local newspaper. I remember this because it was killed about 5 miles from our house.

mom

Latest posts