Cows from star lake sale still not here

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
So as some of you know I purchased some embryos, bred heifer, and recip from the sale. Now the sale was almost a month ago and still dont have my cattle or embryos. So the check was cashed right after the sale of course. Lathrop is doing the trucking. He said it would be a week for delivery so I flew to the sale and figured trucking would be easier. I have been in contact with them and they finally said they have the cattle at their place in Illinois. The date keeps getting pushed back every week. I called them this week and was expecting a call today but nothing. My question is this how it always goes? I can say I will be driving and taking my cows home myself from now on. Also I spoke to genex last week but they said they didnt get any paperwork to release the embryos yet. My deal is how well are they being fed for the month now that I own them and not star lake or lathrop. I mean the 350 a piece for trucking didnt seem bad before but now its getting ridiculous.

I would probably be starting to get a little pizzed off right about now. Call them and be very clear about your concerns. Weren't there terms of sale and delivery specified in the sale catalogue?

We bought a heifer from an online sale (Jeff Miller sale), and had the heifer in our possession in one week. I actually had the heifer before the check was cashed, kind of surprised.
I would keep calling, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so to speak!

sounds like they are not having any luck lineing up a back haul. like the others said i would be very upset by now.

What tends to happen with some trucking firms like Lathrop is they hold cattle at their place pending more cattle going your way so they can deliver several cattle at once. The embryos however I would be calling Star Lake about because I am sure they are not with Lathrop. You will have to have them sent directly to you. If they have cashed your check they should be ready to send them to you now. If by some crazy reason they sent a shipper with Lathrop with your enbryos in it you will be SOL because they will not be good when they get to you if they sent them that long ago.

Circle H Ranch

The last cow I bought took nearly 2 months to arrive at my doorstep, she had ringworm but was in good shape otherwise. Thinking about it most of my cattle that I didn't haul myself took at least 3-6 weeks. Did I get upset? Yes. Only once did my cattle arrive in poorer shape than I liked, this was a different outfit than the others. If the hauler is got any integrity and wants to keep his name I would think he would feed the cattle well. However since you don't know what all they are getting mixed with I would quarantine those critters for a solid 4-6 weeks and BVD PI test any calf born if they are pregnant.

I have only bought once and used a sellers delivery. Went just like they promised, actually did not pay for the bull until it got here. I would be upset too.

The embryos are at genex. I called them two weeks ago but they didnt have the paperwork to release them yet to ship. Checks cashed they should be released. They said they would call. As far as lanthrop they will be getting another call today. I mean the recip is gonna calve in 6 weeks. WTF. Its also the holiday next week.

3waycross":15qh66o0 said:
I would probably be starting to get a little pizzed off right about now. Call them and be very clear about your concerns. Weren't there terms of sale and delivery specified in the sale catalogue?
Besides calling them, get ahold of the aucioneer and complain to him/her. Might even get ahold of the breed association and let them know what's going on.

I bought a recip at Star Lake sale and called Lathrop that day. They said they would call me back in a couple of days. They didn't and I called again. They said they were still working on it.

Ended up waiting 10 days in all and they had never returned a call once after I left messages for Kevin. I went and picked mine up and the guy loading it out said they had sent a load 40 miles from me the previous day. Star Lake is a seven hour drive from me.

My take was that Star Lake wasn't very organized and one cow wasn't enough for Lathrop to worry about.

Live and learn. Hope they get yours out to you. On a side note, I was surprised when the recip I bought didn't have a tail. Couldnt see that on the internet. As far as i can tell she is in great health otherwise.

Hal

Ok so talked to the office today they are thinking next week and probably after thanks giving. If i didnt have work lined up all next week I would be driving out there at this point. This is one of the worst operations I have ever dealt with. 5 weeks plus to get cattle shipped. I mean 17,000 is a lot for me maybe not for some big guys and I want my cattle.

You guys are making me doubly glad that I kept my hand down during the sale! :cboy:

Sorry that you're having so much trouble, shadyhollownj - especially since I recommended that you do it that way. Having a recip that close to calving that's bouncing around would sure worry me too!

Like someone said, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!" I'd hound 'em hard!

The problem with complete dispersions is that some people's motivation for taking care of their customers really wanes once they've decided to get out of the business. I found out that, myself, with this particular group and it was a great disappointment with me! Some of these folks will be going on to other operations - and I'm definitely going to remember those that I choose to never have any dealings with, again, in the future!

George

I would have to say Star Lake got the cattle out timely. Its Lathrop that is the hold up. I would be upset too if my animals had not arrived by now but it happens more than you think in the business and maybe even more so when your on one extreme side or the other of the USA.

Circle H Ranch

My problem is he quoted me a high estimate of 700 and 7-10 days. Now his timeline was full of s+++ is his price gonna be too? I mean i could have driven there for 800 bucks and had my cows a month ago already on my feed and hay and out of quarantine. I just didnt expect that from a company that a ranch the size of star lake deals with. I call randy and he doesn't even return my calls. My deal is if I call them on monday and they tell me it wont be til the next week again I am gonna drive 12 hours to get locked up because I can only keep my cool so long. If I did drive out now what are the gonna charge me for bringing them to there place in Illinois. I dont wanna have to give them anything for there incompetence if thats what I wind up doing. How much should I be worried about them traveling that close to calving? Could I have an issue calving now?

As far as the embryos george I have yet to call genex again to see if they got the release papers yet. I was more concerned about the live thing first. I would feel better if I had something for money in my possession though.

I suggest that when you do talk to the hauler, double check the price quoted. Fuel prices have changed since you bought the cattle.

I used Lathrop once to haul some cows from Montana to KY. Got the run around with delays, will never use them again.

It is unfortunate that things like this happen in business dealings! Infuriating! But, you are dealing with people and MONEY! But it is YOUR money, and the "interest on the "float" is significant, and it also is YOUR money!

Forewarned is forearmed!

I have found in past business dealings (NOT with cattle) that a rather subtle, intimidating letter from an Attorney (on HIS letterhead) will get the attention of almost everyone - VERY fast. Just make certain that the contract details are explicitly defined before you make too much noise. BUT, the noiser you are, the quicker you get the volume turned down!

DOC HARRIS

Shadyhallownj,

You're in the same boat I was. I bought $17,000 for a couple heifers and I was completely disappointed by Lathrup. I was actually a little disapointed in STar Lake and Monte too. I called Lathrup to ship them. Granted I am only 5 hrs away, but I am just too busy with my ag business to take off...............or so I thought. Lathrup calls and says can we send them to St. Joe Missouri? I said NO, its 4 hrs to ST. Joe and its 5 hrs to Star Lake. Why would I pay for that?????. I wanted you to ship them atleast within an hour or two becuase my time is too limited this time of year. THey said they'd call back. WEll they didn't. Monte calls and tells me my heifers are the last 2 left and have been for almost a week! Everyone is gone and they're tired of feeding them hay. I almost blew my lid hearing that BS! Tired of feeding them F'in hay because nobody informed me of this crappy shipment fiasco? I complained about Lathrup and all he had to say was it was all LAthrup. Well I hopped in my truck on Saturday morning and drove 10 hrs roundtrip to get them.

I won't ever use Lathrup trucking again.

Well that pretty much sent me over the edge. So they arent being taken care of well and I should be concerned. This is just great. Thanks for the stories guys cause I really needed to know the truth. How can Star Lake, The AHA, and the auctioneers let this happen?

Latest posts