Counting Your Money

Help Support CattleToday:

We've got a few guys at work that really planned on retiring this month. Well 80% of what they got is in the market. They both decided to wait it out until things turn around. Same thing happened in 2008 or 9 maybe? I would rather be well rounded than poke everything in the market and hope for the best. I only look at my stock market stuff a few times a year. It's nice to have but just doesn't excite me like it does others.

I haven't done but a few small real estate deals but that's were the fast money is at. Owning land is great and it 99% of the time you will make money if you keep it long enough. The fast money is in commercial lots and houses though.

We've got a few guys at work that really planned on retiring this month. Well 80% of what they got is in the market.
Their fault for being greedy with 80% still in stocks at their age. They've seen market gyrations before, nobody's fault but their own.

That's good but.
I've got fence materials out there in the barn I bought 5 years ago with better gains .

We've got a few guys at work that really planned on retiring this month. Well 80% of what they got is in the market. They both decided to wait it out until things turn around. Same thing happened in 2008 or 9 maybe? I would rather be well rounded than poke everything in the market and hope for the best. I only look at my stock market stuff a few times a year. It's nice to have but just doesn't excite me like it does others.

I haven't done but a few small real estate deals but that's were the fast money is at. Owning land is great and it 99% of the time you will make money if you keep it long enough. The fast money is in commercial lots and houses though.
We made most of our money in real estate. 30 some years ago I was buying, remodeling a place, live in it a few years and then sell and do it again. I was very fortunate because I could do all the work myself so it made great money.
But I also had a full-time job and did the remodeling on weekends or in my spare time.
I have found that If you want to do something bad enough you'll make it happen no matter what it is.

I like to be very diverse, I have rental properties and am planning to expand that over the next few years, I own mutual funds,bond funds, CDs, an annuity that pays a guaranteed 3% and also keep cash for those deals that come along. I am also in Arkansas teachers retirement through work which is ranked 3rd in the nation as far as retirement systems. I dabble with cattle and do best at direct selling beef, with cattle I've been burnt before so I don't get in over my head and I don't get in too far that I can't sell out today and at least break even.

I'm going to drop some crazy.. real high level.. investment stuff on you here....

There is always an up... before a down. 😆

I can never decide if the people you are referring to don't know better, get greedy, or didn't have the funds to retire in the first place.

Their fault for being greedy with 80% still in stocks at their age. They've seen market gyrations before, nobody's fault but their own.
My thinking as well. With the 401k plans being the main retirement for people working day jobs I figure we'll see more of this.

I'm going to drop some crazy.. real high level.. investment stuff on you here....

I can never decide if the people you are referring to don't know better, get greedy, or didn't have the funds to retire in the first place.

[''There is always an up...before a down"] You have much to learn Grasshopper...

I'm gonna say it's like everything else Brute. Time slips up you. The market was going good so lets waite type deal. I also think it's a fear deal. I told one of them to retire and draw whatever salary he had planned on and the market will recover. It's not like they gonna take it all out at once. All of that is easy to say from the sidelines though. Not sure what I'll do when the time comes.

If my job paid $60k a year I'd quit today and do my own thing. Fortunately and unfortunately it pays really well though. I'd say a good paying job makes it a little harder to retire. Both of these guys have zero debt and are doing well too, it's not like they are dummies. We do have one guy ready to retire that can't rub two nickles together after 40+ years of high paying jobs. He will probably be the one to pull the trigger in a couple months.

I'm gonna say it's like everything else Brute. Time slips up you. The market was going good so lets waite type deal. I also think it's a fear deal. I told one of them to retire and draw whatever salary he had planned on and the market will recover. It's not like they gonna take it all out at once. All of that is easy to say from the sidelines though. Not sure what I'll do when the time comes.

If my job paid $60k a year I'd quit today and do my own thing. Fortunately and unfortunately it pays really well though. I'd say a good paying job makes it a little harder to retire. Both of these guys have zero debt and are doing well too, it's not like they are dummies. We do have one guy ready to retire that can't rub two nickles together after 40+ years of high paying jobs. He will probably be the one to pull the trigger in a couple months.
That makes sense. I can understand not wanting to leave. Being retired is a strange thing for some one who has worked all their life. Guess they just use the market deal for a reason.

In 2007 the market was very close to 14K and in 2008 it tanked into the 6K+ area. This current downturn isn't anywhere close to where it might go if we're looking at a real bear market. Waiting it out if it's going down in any kind of serious way is a fool's game. I mean, if they really want to retire they should be looking at ways to protect what they have. This small loss isn't anything. It's a blip.

In 2007 the market was very close to 14K and in 2008 it tanked into the 6K+ area. This current downturn isn't anywhere close to where it might go if we're looking at a real bear market. Waiting it out if it's going down in any kind of serious way is a fool's game. I mean, if they really want to retire they should be looking at ways to protect what they have. This small loss isn't anything. It's a blip.
I retired in 2007 you have to stay in the market some for growth. Never invest more than your willing to loose.
Retirement is about annuities, bonds CD's and SS.
There is no one to give you a raise but yourself.

you have to stay in the market some for growth.
Yes and your age matters.
I value the $ accumulated in my traditional IRA less than in my Roth IRA. So I gamble with my traditional IRA because those $ get taxed and view the Roth as my nest egg. I convert some of my traditional to Roth whenever it makes economic sense. Not saying it's the best way, but it's how I feel comfortable doing it. Everyone needs to know their comfort zone and that really varies with age.

Last edited:
We made most of our money in real estate. 30 some years ago I was buying, remodeling a place, live in it a few years and then sell and do it again. I was very fortunate because I could do all the work myself so it made great money.
But I also had a full-time job and did the remodeling on weekends or in my spare time.
I have found that If you want to do something bad enough you'll make it happen no matter what it is.
My wife knew a woman and her kids that did this when she was in high school. Hippie types, but handy with tools. They would buy, fix, live, and sell at profit. Bought and sold and lived their way across the country that way.

Yes.
What is the better investment - - fencing supplies or cattle?
Well it has been fence materials. But I'm not so full of myself as to tell someone how to invest. I can't see the future. I invest in myself and things I know about.

Latest posts