Counting Your Money

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
If you had a 60 cow herd and sold 60 calves for $60,000 but had $30,000 in running cost, a $12,000 annual land payment, and a $18,000 annual payment on them did you make any money? If so how much, if not why?

Was at a meeting recently. University economist showed a breakout of costs... including pasture rent (not mortgage on property)... most producers were losing anywhere from $160-$200/cow/yr.
I'm still not regretting dispersing our herd in 2019.

If you had a 60 cow herd and sold 60 calves for $60,000 but had $30,000 in running cost, a $12,000 annual land payment, and a $18,000 annual payment on them did you make any money? If so how much, if not why?
How much were the 60 cows, and how old when you bought them? $1500 each? So $90k in cows? At $18k a year, they will be paid off 5 years. How much did the land cost, when did you buy it, what is it worth now, and how long at $12k a year til it is paid off? Looks to me like the $3ok profit is used to pay down the $30k a year land and cow payments, transferring that $30k in cash to assets.

I am. Not everything in life is about money.
I didn't disperse, I got bigger. I was 66 and the wife 65 when we bought this ranch. People asked why at our age we were buying this place. It is not about money. It is living the life that you want. But we have made money every year. Money is made in the buying and selling more so than the raising. That and not being locked into one program. Being flexible.

I didn't disperse, I got bigger. I was 66 and the wife 65 when we bought this ranch. People asked why at our age we were buying this place. It is not about money. It is living the life that you want. But we have made money every year. Money is made in the buying and selling more so than the raising. That and not being locked into one program. Being flexible.
Here's where I'm at. I have a few head of registered cows I really like and some commercial cows as well. I plan on culling down to where I have to feed very little hay and keep the registered stock. Sell some breeding stock from them hopefully. Buy a few one and dones to utilize extra grass at the bigger pastures.

I have some smaller places where I run stockers. Im trying to diversify and keep costs low. Stay more flexible. It seems hard to build a good cow herd fast on a limited budget.

Here's where I'm at. I have a few head of registered cows I really like and some commercial cows as well. I plan on culling down to where I have to feed very little hay and keep the registered stock. Sell some breeding stock from them hopefully. Buy a few one and dones to utilize extra grass at the bigger pastures.

I have some smaller places where I run stockers. Im trying to diversify and keep costs low. Stay more flexible. It seems hard to build a good cow herd fast on a limited budget.
I gave up on the idea of having a cow/calf herd a long time ago. There are just too many other ways to make better money with cattle.

I gave up on the idea of having a cow/calf herd a long time ago. There are just too many other ways to make better money with cattle.
Agreed. Especially as you said above, in buying and selling. And I learned a long time ago with horses, you make your money when you buy them. Some people won't get what that means. I have made money when cows were cheap, and made money when they were scarce and high. I am just NOT going to buy a cow, or a horse, for more than 50% of what I think I can sell it for. and you can always find them, if you know what to look for and were to look for it.

The answer will be different for everyone.

Whether I choose to have cattle, or not;
I would still own and choose to own my acreage.

I would still have and maintain a fence, albeit less nice and cheaper.

I would still pay my property taxes.

I would still have built every pond and stocked them with fish.

I would still maintain my land for aesthetics, including forage for wildlife, whether I personally hunted or not.

I still would have made this place pleasing to the eye anyway; wife and I, and my kids and grandkids have been and will continue to be the beneficiaries of this endeavor, whether or not they inherit a damn thing.

This place is my heaven on earth. Cattle are a bonus on every level. I save a heck of lot more than I make on them.

Agreed. Especially as you said above, in buying and selling. And I learned a long time ago with horses, you make your money when you buy them. Some people won't get what that means. I have made money when cows were cheap, and made money when they were scarce and high. I am just NOT going to buy a cow, or a horse, for more than 50% of what I think I can sell it for. and you can always find them, if you know what to look for and were to look for it.
I don't know about 50%, because some deals are so easy that 10% or less is good money. But yeah, you make your money when you buy if you're doing it right.

Same with real estate or any other investment. That's why I don't buy diamonds...

All good answers.

It's always interesting to me how people look at things differently. I'd say I made $30,000k that year. Tax man would say I lost money that year, I'd consider the tax savings on the losses extra income on top of the 30k.

The way I see it, you made money that you then turned around and used to pay for assets. Once the assets are paid for, then you will actually be able to receive an income from them. Also, your net worth will be more because of the said assets being paid off.
Assets are worthless until you sell them, nothing but a liability to upkeep .
Lots of people land rich can't rub two nickels together.
When it comes to tax savings your saving pennies on dollars spent.