Charolais cross bull on 1st time heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

It depends on the bull. Without more info I'd say don't do it just to be safe but I've bred hundreds of heifers AI to calving ease char bulls and have never had any complaints.

Not one of you folks know for a fact the bull will kill the heifers. Just like you don't know if the heifers could have a beagle pup without help. People who ask the questions after they spent the money need to pay for there education one way or the other.

Red Bull Breeder":188lhkqy said:
Not one of you folks know for a fact the bull will kill the heifers. Just like you don't know if the heifers could have a beagle pup without help. People who ask the questions after they spent the money need to pay for there education one way or the other.

My ? Is to those proposing using the hamburger special bull would you put him on your cows?

Caustic Burno":1bndynfn said:
Red Bull Breeder":1bndynfn said:

My ? Is to those proposing using the hamburger special bull would you put him on your cows?

I would not.

Some of us who's seen these potential train wrecks on a unproven bull, know enough not to do it, I don't even care if they could spit them out like watermelon seeds.. I wouldn't use him...

I wouldn't use him myself. But I would ask the question before I spent the money. The heifers might or might not have the calves. They are half the equation yet every body blames the bull.

Red Bull Breeder":33tvfbff said:
I wouldn't use him myself. But I would ask the question before I spent the money. The heifers might or might not have the calves. They are half the equation yet every body blames the bull.
I don't blame the bull,,I would blame the breeders decision to use him.. The bull had a place on the feedlot with his -maximized heterosis- 3 way cross........the cows are where your at,the bull is the direction your going....

Red Bull Breeder":1rulmywx said:

No we don't know for sure but most of us have been around the block a time or two and can take an educated guess. I find that most people even if they ask before they still do what they want and learn the hard way. I've watched people run a sale barn mongrel that only God new what was in the wood pile just to be cheap then wonder what happened when they have cows and calves dying due to birthing problems.

Depending on how many heifers you have id buy a yearling angus bull and breed them, then switch to a charolais bull for the 2nd set of calves if charolais is what you like

tater74":exzu581a said:
:D "...the cows are where your at,the bull is the direction your going...."

I'm going to steal that one. Thanks
Me too. Well said Alabama

Latest posts