Cross Bred Bull For Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

I never figured out the cutting corners on the bull.
Bad cow hurts bad bull choice is a disaster.
Too easy to put a good low birth weight Angus on heifers.
I agree. I'd never breed a mare to a grade stallion. IMO, it ought to be against the law to have one. They make great geldings. I feel the same about commerical bulls. They make great steers. Most especially a half-breed/cross bred. Not talking about a stabilized composite breed bull.

If I had my preference, and in a perfect world, I'd only breed heifers to a purebred CE Angus bull. For many years that's exactly what I've said and done. In more recent years I've started raising my own bulls predominantly registered Angus, and a Hereford.
I've said it many times, the strongest attribute of Angus is calving ease and calf vigor. That alone makes them the ideal breed for that.
As we transitioned away from predominantly running heifers to sell as breds, our bull needs shifted more towards heifer retention and focus on growing our cowherd. I brought in a registered Hereford bred heifer, that had a bull calf. He was retained to use in cows, but also found him to be reliable on heifers as well. We are currently using a 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford bull. He came about by virtue of being a bull that we retained in case of needing to replace one of our registered bulls in a pinch, and I thought it better to hold into him than to have to look for a bull in an off time and high price.
People that saw him preferred him to our registered bulls, and his disposition was better so I made the decision to put him to work. He has bred our heifers and cows this year. The registered Simmental will likely get to breed this fall, and the commercial bull will then be a heifer bull going forward, but I think his time is limited as I don't want to go too far with breeding too close.
A88A2209-3401-4F15-A0FC-ABF688B10D0C.jpeg12E7DF5C-9B49-497B-A91F-8A3D66868667.jpeg

He is super nice. I am planning to go to the Gibbs sale in November. I have a neighbor that has a herd of Angus. Not sure if they are registered but they are pretty nice. If I could find a bull like the one in the picture I would snatch him up. My biggest problem is that I am attached to the bull I have, he is 6. If I was smart I would sell him and get a bull that I can use on everything. He is such a good bull I hate to get rid of him. Calves off of him over Angus, Brangus and some Braunvieh X Angus average 650 at 7 months and that is them on thier mama and grass. Anyone looking for a good bull close to North Florida he is a great bull. His sire is a Registered Char out of Ohio and his dam is a Registered Brangus from W.E.T. Farms in O'Brien, Fl.

He is super nice. I am planning to go to the Gibbs sale in November. I have a neighbor that has a herd of Angus. Not sure if they are registered but they are pretty nice. If I could find a bull like the one in the picture I would snatch him up. My biggest problem is that I am attached to the bull I have, he is 6. If I was smart I would sell him and get a bull that I can use on everything. He is such a good bull I hate to get rid of him. Calves off of him over Angus, Brangus and some Braunvieh X Angus average 650 at 7 months and that is them on thier mama and grass. Anyone looking for a good bull close to North Florida he is a great bull. His sire is a Registered Char out of Ohio and his dam is a Registered Brangus from W.E.T. Farms in O'Brien, Fl.
Pictures!!!

Latest posts