Beefmaster jersey cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Does she milk enough to raise two, if you ever needed to do that?
I think so.
My son is fixing to move her along with another one to the Leon county ranch, he said he was going to maybe put another calve on them.
It was a way of life with us growing up to have nurse cows, but I can't handle it anymore with my back.

That jersey is way too thin. She's not a first calf heifer anymore so will be making maybe 8 gallons a day or more at peak lactation. They 'milk off their backs' you know and become very thin from producing so much milk. Bull calves are aggressive nursers and the more he takes the more milk she will make according to her genetic heritage. She will get so thin I would worry about her survival. They have to be fed grain. Cubes and hay are what I feed my dry Jerseys but that won't do when they are in milk. A dairy cow discussion forum is where you could get advice from experienced dairy cattle people is https://familycow.proboards.com/board/19/family-cow

That's the way Eleanor got to looking on me. I couldn't stand it anymore. She calved while calves were still on her. Was supposed to be an open cow. I really poured the feed to her, but she just would not come back around for me.

I agree she's thin for sure. Some are just wired that dang way. I can't have it.

Even my Bessie is borderline skinny right now. She's dry. Gets fed same as my beefers. But she won't really put condition back on until the spring flush. But she WILL put it back on. Always amazes me. When the grass comes on, she will fatten right up and still raise 2 babies at a time

That's the way Eleanor got to looking on me. I couldn't stand it anymore. She calved while calves were still on her. Was supposed to be an open cow. I really poured the feed to her, but she just would not come back around for me.

I agree she's thin for sure. Some are just wired that dang way. I can't have it.

Even my Bessie is borderline skinny right now. She's dry. Gets fed same as my beefers. But she won't really put condition back on until the spring flush. But she WILL put it back on. Always amazes me. When the grass comes on, she will fatten right up and still raise 2 babies at a time
My son is supposed to haul her where he lives and put them both on feed.
These cows aren't mine but I do care about them.
I'm hoping he's going to get them this weekend, or I'm going to catch them put them in a trap and feed them.

Jersey milk has the highest butterfat, that requires more calories. They are supposed to be milked for 10 months then are dried off so the udder can rest and recover and they can put their energy into the calf. They get bred back at the second heat after delivery if possible.

This about milking Belted Galloways on the familcow message board.

But if your wife got enough milk for the house and raised a decent calf to sell that is great, go for it.

Last edited:
Does she milk enough to raise two, if you ever needed to do that?
My son took this pair and another jersey pair to my other ranch where he lives now, I started feeding them before he hauled them, he did pick up another calf, black angus bull calf, he said that calf is super aggressive and nurses on both cows.
He had to pay $484.00 for the calf.

Latest posts