Jersey/Angus Cross, good cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

CrzyOldMan

Reaction score
I raised some Jersey/Angus cross bottle calves over the winter, and they are looking good. I intended to sell them as freezer beef but have been told if bred to Angus or Hereford bulls, they make excellent mamas
. Anybody have experience with this? Are they easy 1st calfers?

They are only easy calvers if bred to an easy calving bull. Usually have more milk than one calf can use.... I use them as nurse cows... takes a little time and effort to work with them. Kenny would be a good one to sell them to.

They should make some good cows. I had a few Jersey/Angus and some Jersey/Hereford cross cows that I kept back. My experience was that most did milk real good and they raised nice calves. The main drawback is that due to their heavy milking they may not hold up udder wise very many years compared to an average all beef cow, but should be able to get several calvings from them. I often thought that calving them in the fall might be better as they may not milk quite as heavy then. I would recommend to breed them to calving ease Angus bulls the first year.

I raised some Jersey/Angus cross bottle calves over the winter, and they are looking good. I intended to sell them as freezer beef but have been told if bred to Angus or Hereford bulls, they make excellent mamas
. Anybody have experience with this? Are they easy 1st calfers?
Jangus make great momma cows. They will raise a very fat calf or you can graft an extra onto them. You need to breed them first go to a calving ease bull. People also use them as family milk cows as they make less than a jersey but more than a beef cow and they are not prone to metabolic disorders that straight beef cows can be.

Called Black Jersey here. They need more feed but the big beef cows will push them around... I have one for a nurse cow, but I have to winter her with the heifer calves to hold condition.

Usually they only last for a couple calves. Either the udder goes or they come open.