Young open Jersey udder filling.

Help Support CattleToday:

Redgully

Reaction score
Long story short my niece bought a jersey calf and has raised her to now 19 months old. The heifers udder starting filling and watery milk could be milked out. She only did one squirt from two teats as they were dripping. Vet checked her and she is open. She now wants to get her in calf and had her inseminated by vet but missed. Somehow she has now landed in my care to see if i can breed her. I am not experienced with dairy cattle and wondering if this is normal. I'm thinking it could be a hormone imbalance and concerned it could prevent her calving. Vet didnt seem to think an issue. Feel free to share any tips on breeding Jerseys.

That whole thing is very interesting.

The man I bought Eleanor from said she needed put with a bull as he couldn't get her to take to a.i.

Lo and behold she calved right on time to his last a.i attempt. And I still had calves nursing her. I really messed up on that deal. She's coming back along tho.

I've got my bull in with her now. I don't a.i.

That whole thing is very interesting.

The man I bought Eleanor from said she needed put with a bull as he couldn't get her to take to a.i.

Lo and behold she calved right on time to his last a.i attempt. And I still had calves nursing her. I really messed up on that deal. She's coming back along tho.

I've got my bull in with her now. I don't a.i.
Bulls are good for the dodgy ones. I had a young naughty bull who got two of my cull cows in calf when he was nine months old. But i sold him a couple of months ago and no young bulls coming along. I am 95% a.i. She should come in heat next week or two so will give it a go.

Watery milk or any discharge from the udder is NOT NORMAL from an open, never been bred heifer. How much development is there in the udder? I have seen one in over 40 years that had a false pregnancy, and looked and acted like she was going to calve.... and did come into production.... Farmer milked her but it was a wasted time as she did not stay in milk.
Yes, I would say it could be a hormone imbalance, MAYBE.... or.....
It also sounds like it could very well be a mastitis problem. Heifers can occasionally get mastitis from excessive fly problems which they irritate the teats and the heifer gets an infection and causes swelling and watery secretions. There were several farmers that had this problem in heifers several years ago... seemed like flies were just awful that year... and a couple had to actually use antibiotic infusions in the affected quarters to get rid of the mastitis... and on top of that 99% of them came in with mastitis in those quarters when fresh or no milk at all (blind quarter). So it was a big loss all around.
Any chance something is sucking on her? That can sometimes cause them to have a false development of the udder and can cause problems like that.

I was born and raised in the dairy business until I got out in 2001. sound like a typical problem of her getting sucked on by a herdmate. never had a heifer with an udder problem like you describe make it into the dairy herd. if she does get bred and have a calf, I would expect mastitis problems or blind quarters. the teats should have a natural sealed plug in the opening to keep germs and bacteria out. once that is removed (usually after the calf is born or shortly before) the quarter is more susceptible to infection. if she was mine, I would load her up.

Watery milk or any discharge from the udder is NOT NORMAL from an open, never been bred heifer. How much development is there in the udder? I have seen one in over 40 years that had a false pregnancy, and looked and acted like she was going to calve.... and did come into production.... Farmer milked her but it was a wasted time as she did not stay in milk.
Yes, I would say it could be a hormone imbalance, MAYBE.... or.....
It also sounds like it could very well be a mastitis problem. Heifers can occasionally get mastitis from excessive fly problems which they irritate the teats and the heifer gets an infection and causes swelling and watery secretions. There were several farmers that had this problem in heifers several years ago... seemed like flies were just awful that year... and a couple had to actually use antibiotic infusions in the affected quarters to get rid of the mastitis... and on top of that 99% of them came in with mastitis in those quarters when fresh or no milk at all (blind quarter). So it was a big loss all around.
Any chance something is sucking on her? That can sometimes cause them to have a false development of the udder and can cause problems like that.
I had also wondered but we are at end of winter so no flies around, which makes you wonder where they all go in winter. Also no chance of being sucked as bucket reared with no other animals other than some horses. We had considered false pregnancy too. Good to know not normal, that was my thoughts.

I was born and raised in the dairy business until I got out in 2001. sound like a typical problem of her getting sucked on by a herdmate. never had a heifer with an udder problem like you describe make it into the dairy herd. if she does get bred and have a calf, I would expect mastitis problems or blind quarters. the teats should have a natural sealed plug in the opening to keep germs and bacteria out. once that is removed (usually after the calf is born or shortly before) the quarter is more susceptible to infection. if she was mine, I would load her up.
I agree with your sentiment but you know the story, only calf, pet, young girl! Definitely hasn't been sucked as she was bucket reared in her own yard and later in a paddock with a few horses. Its something ive never encountered but i only work with beef so good to hear from dairy men and women who know about these things.

The only time I've ever heard of this is either from something nursing on the heifer (but you said that didn't happen), or mastitis. It's rare for an unbred heifer to get mastitis, because they have such small teats and the plugs are usually very "plugged." It's not like they can get all that contaminated from lying in a dirty spot. And especially in the winter when there isn't a big fly problem. I'm stumped, but if she were mine, I guess I'd dry treat her (with dry cow formula teat infusions) in hopes of averting damaged or blind quarters when she finally does calve, and then cross my fingers. Apparently, her teat plugs have been removed somehow, and some bacteria got in there, but HOW is the million dollar question.

The only time I've ever heard of this is either from something nursing on the heifer (but you said that didn't happen), or mastitis. It's rare for an unbred heifer to get mastitis, because they have such small teats and the plugs are usually very "plugged." It's not like they can get all that contaminated from lying in a dirty spot. And especially in the winter when there isn't a big fly problem. I'm stumped, but if she were mine, I guess I'd dry treat her (with dry cow formula teat infusions) in hopes of averting damaged or blind quarters when she finally does calve, and then cross my fingers. Apparently, her teat plugs have been removed somehow, and some bacteria got in there, but HOW is the million dollar question.
Yeah has me stumped too. I dont think mastitis as the udder filled only about four inches deep but across all four teats. It then dried up but now about a two inch deep but might go further. Other than that in full health and udder not hot and teats loose. My thoughts is some sort of hormone imbalance. I did look at pasture she was on and a nice balance. Was looking for excessive clover thinking estrogen. The pressure is now on me to get her bred but if a heifer misses an insemination to me that is unusual as in my experience if you get semen in a heifer on time they always take.

It also sounds like it could very well be a mastitis problem. Heifers can occasionally get mastitis from excessive fly problems which they irritate the teats and the heifer gets an infection and causes swelling and watery secretions. There were several farmers that had this problem in heifers several years ago...
What about a vaccine?
J-Vac cattle vaccine

Redgully, hope the heifer sticks at the next breeding. What will you breed her to? Beef, Jersey, something else??

What about a vaccine?
J-Vac cattle vaccine

Redgully, hope the heifer sticks at the next breeding. What will you breed her to? Beef, Jersey, something else??
She would have been vaccinated as a six week old and 4 weeks later but no boosters since. She will be bred to speckle park. They tried angus first time around but i have cheap speckle straws because its a bull i had collected so will use those to keep costs down.

I would try 2 shots of Lute... 10 days apart... just to try to "reset" her cycle... might throw everything else into a reset? Cheap to try... cycling regularly does not mean she is "right" inside. Any chance she is a free martin? They can cycle if all the "parts" are not there inside.... If she is having any hormone issues, the Lute might get it back on tract... or try the route with using a cidr....
That would not cure the udder situation except maybe through the hormone "reset"... I would be at my wits end.... and yes, I get the pet, first calf raised and all that.
Honestly, if you had a bull available, I would stick her with a bull and if she is cycling, he will put alot more semen in there and as often as she will stand...

One of my dairy farmers I test for, had a heifer they showed. Could not get her bred AI... cycled regularly. Vet could find nothing wrong. Finally asked if we would run her with an angus bull to just get her bred. Sure, no problem... out with a group of heifers with the bull....comes up Open... everyone else in that group pregnant... okay, moved her to another pasture... saw the bull breed her... back in heat and across the fence she goes to the neighbors bull... got her back and we switched out our bull for another when ours came up with a foot problem...
When we brought that group home we thought for sure she had settled... took her back to the dairy farmer and he was having a regular monthly herd check that next week... NOPE... still open, still everything felt normal... vet said ovaries felt fine...
They shipped her.... and she had gotten a bit of an udder so that is why we were sure she had settled...
She didn't have any udder problems but would not settle. Had AI and 4 different bulls... with months to breed. Some just don't get bred...

I don't have any other suggestions from the "dairy experience" I have had....
Just for ... whatever... you say there is no evidence she is sucking herself... When you have a chance to get her up... get your hand wet with some water and run it over the teats... if they feel slimy on your wet hand... she is sucking and they are drying and you are not noticing her sucking.... but you have to use just plain water on your hand... not like licking your finger to get it wet, then touching the udder/teats...
But I think you might be right with a hormone thing...

I would try 2 shots of Lute... 10 days apart... just to try to "reset" her cycle... might throw everything else into a reset? Cheap to try... cycling regularly does not mean she is "right" inside. Any chance she is a free martin? They can cycle if all the "parts" are not there inside.... If she is having any hormone issues, the Lute might get it back on tract... or try the route with using a cidr....
That would not cure the udder situation except maybe through the hormone "reset"... I would be at my wits end.... and yes, I get the pet, first calf raised and all that.
Honestly, if you had a bull available, I would stick her with a bull and if she is cycling, he will put alot more semen in there and as often as she will stand...

One of my dairy farmers I test for, had a heifer they showed. Could not get her bred AI... cycled regularly. Vet could find nothing wrong. Finally asked if we would run her with an angus bull to just get her bred. Sure, no problem... out with a group of heifers with the bull....comes up Open... everyone else in that group pregnant... okay, moved her to another pasture... saw the bull breed her... back in heat and across the fence she goes to the neighbors bull... got her back and we switched out our bull for another when ours came up with a foot problem...
When we brought that group home we thought for sure she had settled... took her back to the dairy farmer and he was having a regular monthly herd check that next week... NOPE... still open, still everything felt normal... vet said ovaries felt fine...
They shipped her.... and she had gotten a bit of an udder so that is why we were sure she had settled...
She didn't have any udder problems but would not settle. Had AI and 4 different bulls... with months to breed. Some just don't get bred...

I don't have any other suggestions from the "dairy experience" I have had....
Just for ... whatever... you say there is no evidence she is sucking herself... When you have a chance to get her up... get your hand wet with some water and run it over the teats... if they feel slimy on your wet hand... she is sucking and they are drying and you are not noticing her sucking.... but you have to use just plain water on your hand... not like licking your finger to get it wet, then touching the udder/teats...
But I think you might be right with a hormone thing...
That is actually a really good idea using a cidr and Lute, i didnt even think of that. That would certainly even out her hormones. Ill try one natural breeding and then a cidr.

Ill check her teats, i know the slimy feeling you are referring to from when trying to get calves to have their first drink when they take to long.

Definitely not a freemartin because the vet who inseminated her first time is an embryologist and checked her out with ultrasound a couple of weeks before inseminating her.

I know some never breed, about 40 years ago my sister bought a jersey calf and raised her, then had her inseminated three times. No good, we then bought a bull and she ran with him for about six months and he bred her every heat but never settled. We sold her and bought a guernsey cross who settled to her first a.i. and every a.i. after too. It is this sisters daughter who has the jersey with issues........runs in the family. I told her she has inherited her mothers curse! I also have her sisters heifer here to now.....that is a whole other story......

@Hpacres440p ... I have never known an unbred heifer to get much of an udder except when she is fat.... not saying it is not possible...
Many from heavy milking genetics seem to get more udder edema.... especially in the summer for some reason... Have 2 farms that started milking their pre fresh heifers with huge udders and edema... a couple weeks early... they do come into some milk and yes the colostrum is lost but they save colostrum from fresh cows to have around so not a big deal on that.... but it does seem to save relieve some of the edema for the heifers....don't know if I would but never had a prefresh heifer with that much problem...

She would have been vaccinated as a six week old and 4 weeks later but no boosters since.
No shots since 3 months old. That 19-month old Jersey heifer is due for some shots. ...
J-Vac is given at the 7th month of pregnancy to protect against mastitis caused by E. coli and salmonella. When the heifer does get pregnant and freshens, some comments were made the heifer could have a mastitis problem. That's why I mentioned J-Vac, but I don't know if it's available in Australia. And I was curious if any members have experience with J-Vac since I do not.

Latest posts