Udder too big?

Help Support CattleToday:

EasTex

Reaction score
Is the size of this udder normal for a 1st calf heifer? She has not calved yet and I am getting concerned due to the size. I expected her to calve in February, so maybe this is normal?

Attachments

• EA9FF230-061E-44C9-8763-C273239F60C3.jpeg
    EA9FF230-061E-44C9-8763-C273239F60C3.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 86523FB4-A2B1-47AD-B8E2-B5EDDCE8EA0A.jpeg
    86523FB4-A2B1-47AD-B8E2-B5EDDCE8EA0A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 49
This one calved January 20, but her udders were no where near as big. I think she might have been early. Little bull looks healthy though.

Attachments

• 8879F7C9-FFC3-4FE1-B047-FAECC4517FB5.jpeg
    8879F7C9-FFC3-4FE1-B047-FAECC4517FB5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 453CACB8-C24C-45D1-A0FA-57C2F2CFE201.jpeg
    453CACB8-C24C-45D1-A0FA-57C2F2CFE201.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
it does seem large for a first calf heifer. if she has not calved yet, you may want to consider inducing labor before problems develop. like other post, udder will generally continue to increase in size with each calving cycle. I would not keep replacements from her. if calves can nurse shortly after birth, it shouldn't be a problem. good luck

Did she calve yet?
Does mama have a white muzzle?
How's she doing?
Unfortunately I don't live out there. It's just a weekend place at this point. About 1 hour and 10 minutes from my house. I may try to get out the Wednesday after work and check on her. I worry like they are my kids!

Unfortunately I don't live out there. It's just a weekend place at this point. About 1 hour and 10 minutes from my house. I may try to get out the Wednesday after work and check on her. I worry like they are my kids!
No need to worry based off the picture at this time.

When we bought our original Brangus cows I went through quite a few bag issues and learned some hard lessons.

Looking back I compounded the issue at one point by buying the low bw, high growth Black Angus bull. The calves came out tiny. I bet they weren't #60. I'm not sure if their size slowed them down or if if those big cows were spitting them out like water melon seeds and they were hitting their heads, but they wouldn't aggressively go after those cows to milk. After a couple weeks the calves would suck them down and grow like weeds but those cows bags always looked like they were about to bust.

Looking back I think that was hard on those cows bags also. Heaven forbid a calf not get on one and suck it down she was dang near ruined.

I still don't run big bw bulls but I like to be in the 80s or so. It seems like those calves get up and get after those mommas bags a lot better.

There may be more to it but it's just some thing I experienced.

No need to worry based off the picture at this time.

When we bought our original Brangus cows I went through quite a few bag issues and learned some hard lessons.

Looking back I compounded the issue at one point by buying the low bw, high growth Black Angus bull. The calves came out tiny. I bet they weren't #60. I'm not sure if their size slowed them down or if if those big cows were spitting them out like water melon seeds and they were hitting their heads, but they wouldn't aggressively go after those cows to milk. After a couple weeks the calves would suck them down and grow like weeds but those cows bags always looked like they were about to bust.

Looking back I think that was hard on those cows bags also. Heaven forbid a calf not get on one and suck it down she was dang near ruined.

I still don't run big bw bulls but I like to be in the 80s or so. It seems like those calves get up and get after those mommas bags a lot better.

There may be more to it but it's just some thing I experienced.
Interesting you mentioned that-the calf on my cow with the big bag nurses, but isn't overly concerned with it. Maybe after a few days he'll figure out that's some good vittles.

I have notice several post assume that udder size determines the amount of milk available. Is that the mind set of the beef business? ask most people in the dairy business that question and most will tell you one has nothing to do with the other. I had a first calf heifer last year raise a set of twins with an udder about 1/10th of the size of the heifer in the first pic. the bull calf ended up being the biggest calf in the group at weaning time. just curious.