Calving 2024 Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

Had calf #3 night before last, looks like bull calf year, by our simangus bull, out of a brangus cow. The bull is doing a really good job with the low birth weight, I don't think we will have to pull any calves and most, but not all are black or BWF.

We had a red baldy , a yellow baldy and a yellow calf last year. The yellows were out of charloais cross cows and the red baldy out of a cow that had a BWF baby this year

Attachments

• calf 3 2024.jpg
    calf 3 2024.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 8
  • calf 3 bull 2024 b.jpg
    calf 3 bull 2024 b.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnailcalf 3 bull 2024.jpg
    thumbnailcalf 3 bull 2024.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 8
View attachment 40885Fifth pair, male-female. 86 calves right now. A cow put out a dead calf, must have broke his umbilical cord.
Nearly no snow on the ground around here but a storm can arrive anytime!View attachment 40887
An old joke here is my dad used to put a dot on a blank sheet of paper and turn it in at art class as a polar bear in a snow storm. If your char calves were out in one you'd never find them!

An old joke here is my dad used to put a dot on a blank sheet of paper and turn it in at art class as a polar bear in a snow storm. If your char calves were out in one you'd never find them!
That reminds me of one of our highschool ag teachers. He'd be showing something on a slide projector and if it it didn't work and just showed a blank screen he'd say Charolais in a snowstorm.

Sunday now... Cow/calf doing good?
They are doing great, cow eating and chewing is gum.
Now that u mentioned it...

What did the calf weigh?
The calf weight 124 pounds, sucking is mother like a chief. Only the forwards legs are a bit funny. He will be castrated.
IMG_6031.jpeg

Some news, 114 calves for 112 cows, 59 females and 55 males. Only 5 calving cows remaining. We iron horns on 4 calves, the rest are polled. We had a calf who died after 1 day he had forward legs and mouth malformed with a small tongue. The c-section cow and her calf are ok.
It's the kind of spring we like our animals indoors on concrete because outside it's muddy, mild and rainy!

Attachments

• IMG_6172.jpeg
    IMG_6172.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 3
Some news, 114 calves for 112 cows, 59 females and 55 males. Only 5 calving cows remaining. We iron horns on 4 calves, the rest are polled. We had a calf who died after 1 day he had forward legs and mouth malformed with a small tongue. The c-section cow and her calf are ok.
It's the kind of spring we like our animals indoors on concrete because outside it's muddy, mild and rainy!
Was there a cut-off where you were getting a lot of one gender and then it switched?

Latest posts