Char influenced cattle Vs. All black

Help Support CattleToday:

Simmental7

Reaction score
At your local market how do smokes and yellows "buckskins" compare to the price of a black calf? are they very far off in your area or...?

In my area really good smokies will be near equal to black hided calves. Average smokies will be .5 to .10 less. Yellow calves will take a .15 hit. That is under normal circumstances. I have seen REALLY nice smokes top the sale however.

Buyers love the smokes in my area. The yard has gotten to the point that they often wont bother to sort off the smokes from the black. White and red hides still take a pretty good hit.

Yellows and smokes/silvers almost always do better than blacks at the sales here, although there isn't a huge price difference, more focus on quality than colour.

Depends on which barn you go to here. The one about hour south likes white influence cattle just as much as black, but you go hour north and they like the black ones.

Smokes on average do just as well as blacks. Some days better, some days not.
CSM

In all honesty it depends on the nose here. Smoke with pink nose is a nickel back. Smoke with black nose will be dead even or a hair better.

Isomade":374zzmo8 said:
In all honesty it depends on the nose here. Smoke with pink nose is a nickel back. Smoke with black nose will be dead even or a hair better.
The key is the black nose. A good yellow or cream colored calf will sell even with the black cattle here in East Texas. Some of the order buyers will carry orders for black and yellow calves only on the same order.

Smoke colored calves here do tend to take a hit for the most part from what little i seen and what most people say. Go to the west 90 miles or so and the yellows really do sell right with any black calves and will sometimes outsell but there is alot more char bulls that way too. IN my area it is mostly all black bulls and some red ones as well.

Isomade":21lu2ayw said:

Not to steal the post but what makes/influences the black nose? I have my first char cross claf and she has a black tongue and nose along with a cream or reddish colored coat. Not a solid black nose and tongue but a smokie gray with a blacker outline around the tongue and nose. The calf came out of a tiger striped heifer (dont know her make up) and a registered charolais bull who's sire was Bluegrass.
Does the black nose and tongue come from angus influence in the gene pool somewhere?

Red Bull Breeder":3n2n0iou said:
Get the black nose from angus x char.
Or Brangus X Char
Or baldy X Char (But when you get to the baldy it's a crap shoot, One year she will throw a black nose the next pink).

Latest posts