Calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I know the men who were paying the big bucks and buying every thing that walked into the ring yesterday. It was buyers from big feedlots. The smaller farmer type buyers were all sitting on their hands. Of course the front end of the sale is the better cattle and the bigger bunches. I know half a dozen guys who run 100 to 1,000 stockers. They were just sitting there not raising a finger.

I swear there is some kind of global warming lunacy behind these cattle prices... trying to reduce the numbers of animals producing methane.

It would be crazy since cattle on pasture have more benefit than downside, even considering methane, but I wouldn't put it past the government to do this kind of bad solution thinking it is a good idea.

I swear there is some kind of global warming lunacy behind these cattle prices... trying to reduce the numbers of animals producing methane.

It would be crazy since cattle on pasture have more benefit than downside, even considering methane, but I wouldn't put it past the government to do this kind of bad solution thinking it is a good idea.
I think it is Covid related. In 2019, a nice 3 bed/2bath house in a nice subdivision here, was $150k- $200k. Suddenly in 2020, people would pout them up for sale for $300k! And people would call and offer $350k-$400k! None last more than 48 hours on the market here these days! It is insane! I think the China Virus affected people's minds! Same thing may have happened in the beef cattle business. Goofy people are scared they are going to run out of houses and hamburger!

Fairly rare to see a 250 pound calf at the sale here. They will have 2,000 head of calves and there might be a couple of those fly weight calves. When you do see one they might bring $2. Never close to $3.

I think it is Covid related. In 2019, a nice 3 bed/2bath house in a nice subdivision here, was $150k- $200k. Suddenly in 2020, people would pout them up for sale for $300k! And people would call and offer $350k-$400k! None last more than 48 hours on the market here these days! It is insane! I think the China Virus affected people's minds! Same thing may have happened in the beef cattle business. Goofy people are scared they are going to run out of houses and hamburger!
The bump in inflation was caused by the "stimulus" money. What a debacle that turned out to be. That kind of increase in the liquid money supply was bound to cause higher prices. If we're going to be blaming the "China virus" for affecting people's minds... we should begin with whoever the bright bulb was that thought giving "free" money away to an entire population was a good idea.

Travir, you are right. But I deposited my check like everyone else. It still sits there floating on my checking account. How did it add to inflation when it never was used to purchase anything?
I may have to give some of it back in taxes this year.
Our whole economy, especially government spending, is smoke and mirrors anymore.

Travir, you are right. But I deposited my check like everyone else. It still sits there floating on my checking account. How did it add to inflation when it never was used to purchase anything?
I may have to give some of it back in taxes this year.
Our whole economy, especially government spending, is smoke and mirrors anymore.
Usually inflation has been used to pay down debt in todays value dollars at the dollar value of when the debt was incurred. So inflation has some kind of value to the government. But since the turn of this century we haven't had an administration that seems to care about the national debt as much as they want to spend money. All these military conflicts are expensive.

Fairly rare to see a 250 pound calf at the sale here. They will have 2,000 head of calves and there might be a couple of those fly weight calves. When you do see one they might bring $2. Never close to $3.
The 2 weights were my favorite around here. Used to be NO ONE wanted them. I'd snatch em up at a buck or less a lb.
They get big too!

Latest posts