Calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Sold an open 2 yr old at local sale barn. This barn is best for culls to sell - not good for feeders.
She was listed as "fat hfr blk" - 1450# - $153 = $2218.50
My crazy cow was listed as "BLKMF COW" - don't know if the "MF" had to do with her mostly white face or her behavior at the sale barn...she was a psychopath for sure.

Bred heifers are always a bargain here compared to Jan's area. They would bring more if they were open. Several nice 800 lb ones today for $1000. There is just not much demand.

Long bred one and done's are about a dime over packer prices.
Bird dog, was that at Groesbeck or West?

BC, that was at West. It was pretty much the same at Buffalo a couple weeks earlier but they didn't have but a couple. West had about a dozen. Not a lot of take back home type buyers at either one and just no interest in bred heifers. Too much risk.
The sales are kind of depressing with so many good animals going to the packers. There is not near as many older bred cows available as in the past when they would flood the market in the fall. The dry conditions and high packer prices are taking a lot of cows out of the country.

@branxchar&charx - the report said 14 checked in with 3 "holdovers" - what and how do they determine not to sell some?? How old were these calves? Were they pre-weaned? Looks like a great price.
Okc stockyards sell stockers and feeders on mondays in "like" groups of three. Singles and cows, older bulls etc sell on Tuesday. Those 3 heldover were the bigger ones of the group. With one yearling. Most these calves were born in May. They were sorted from their mamas, loaded up and straight to the sale. Yes, im well aware thats not how many do it but thats what we do with this group. Anywho, here's the other 3. The heifer that only brought a 1.50 had a swayed back. The 790 was a black steer. The other was a chromed heifer out of a charolais bull and beefmaster x cow.
Screenshots_2023-11-22-12-18-57.png

Here's the report from the first sale of 2024 at the Center Livestock Auction (the one I generally use - it's about 25 miles away). Wish I would have had some to sale...these numbers look pretty good to me.

Attachments

• Center - January 2024.jpg
    Center - January 2024.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 15
I see on the reports from the 2 sales I go to that calf prices went back up. Top 4 wgt steers are well above $3.00 and even the top 500 weight steers beat $3.00. I didn't go this week as weather had the freeway shut down at time.

Latest posts