Calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I was going to wean em this year!

Until I figured up just how much it was gonna cost to feed em etc...
Feed is higher.
Hay is higher.
Vax is higher.

Just because calf prices are higher don't mean that weaning is gonna make ya any money. There is a bigger spread between weaned and unweaned right now. But the cost are higher too!

Those I talk to think the gap between weaned and unweaned will narrow as we get into fall. They said with the real hot days and cooler nights some were having more issues with sickness. As days cools they feel the sickness issues will decrease again. Also there have been good rains across a lot of the wheat areas in this region in the last ten days. They feel demand will increase. And supply will be limited. With the cost of fuel and fertilizer we are considering fertilizing the volunteer and grazing it. Will sell the big calves off the cows.

We vaccinate in June and again in July, so our calves are fully vaccinated prior to weaning. We fenceline wean. Our calves never miss a beat. They are in a pasture that they grazed with their dam. Weaned 12 days and we loaded the steers today and delivered to the feedlot. $2.50# and they averaged 811#. Thats $2027.50 EACH.
Amazing. I'm making more money on the steers than the bull calves. Market was going up, so I raised the price to $1950 for weaned bull calves. Decent money for weanlings. Sold 6 ---5 were sold before they were born. People call and get on a list for next weaning.
Well, I will have to rethink my pricing for next calf crop.
Already have orders for 4.

We vaccinate in June and again in July, so our calves are fully vaccinated prior to weaning. We fenceline wean. Our calves never miss a beat. They are in a pasture that they grazed with their dam. Weaned 12 days and we loaded the steers today and delivered to the feedlot. $2.50# and they averaged 811#. Thats $2027.50 EACH.
Amazing. I'm making more money on the steers than the bull calves. Market was going up, so I raised the price to $1950 for weaned bull calves. Decent money for weanlings. Sold 6 ---5 were sold before they were born. People call and get on a list for next weaning.
Well, I will have to rethink my pricing for next calf crop.
Already have orders for 4.
Yeah... considering what your animals look like (and I'm sure any documentation) you are selling too cheap in this market.

I have never been in the market for bulls. Males are my "cash flow". I always kept 1-3 calves intact. If I didn't sell them shortly before weaning I (hubby, now nephew) would cut them. My feedlot buyer would take them right with the regular steers.
Simmental breed has exploded in popularity for commercial breeders, so demand has increased to the point where people finally figured out if they wanted to PICK their choice of bull calves, they put their name in the pot for the following year. I left 6 as bulls this year because I had orders for 4 (and an iffy 1 more). Sold all 6 and had 4 more I could have sold. GREAT for me!! ALL males are gone by October. Jan/Feb born steers and bulls, and last Sept/Oct born steers (fed out for 12-13 month old kill dates in October).
So even if I don't have many female sales, I always have a good income in the fall.

Sold calves today. 6 steers average 615# at $2.74, 5 steers average 532# at $3.15. Heifers we didn't keep for replacements went 583# at $2.57 (this was big end had some 600 pounders and replacement quality), 470# average at $2.50, 477# at $2.60, and the light end average 446# at $2.77. We were pretty happy with that. The bull crop and replacement heifer pen look really good. These were March and April calves

Sold calves today. 6 steers average 615# at $2.74, 5 steers average 532# at $3.15. Heifers we didn't keep for replacements went 583# at $2.57 (this was big end had some 600 pounders and replacement quality), 470# average at $2.50, 477# at $2.60, and the light end average 446# at $2.77. We were pretty happy with that. The bull crop and replacement heifer pen look really good. These were March and April calves
Did you sell them in Torrington?

Did you sell them in Torrington?
Yes. Sold bawlers. Weaned Saturday and Sunday and hauled Sunday afternoon after we weighed and sorted them. Fleshy calves were below $3.00 and more green and skinny calves were over $3.00. Weaned 45 days and fleshy at all doesn't pay, although the extra weight on the heavier end of the steers more than made up the difference. Saved a lot of hay this year and money be in the bank tomorrow.

Sold a small group of calves last week. Steers averaged 509# at 2.60. Double round of shots poured and weaned 40+ days. Barn bought those. Bought some of my calves a year or two ago too so they must like them. Also sold a nice large framed bf heifer with attitude that weighed 570 for 2.45 a pound. Usually sell afterJanuary but not much hay around for sale so decided to sell early. Looks like prices are a bit higher in other areas.

Today I sold calves off last year's class of BM cows. Too many late calves. They averaged weighing 451 if I subtract the 3 dinks and averaged selling for $2.72. Steers weighing 412 brought $3.10. And heifers weighing 418 sold for $2.90. That is the light end. Eight steers weighing 468 got $2.82. The 2 biggest steers weighed 575 brought $2.52. The 3 biggest heifers weighed in at 496 and sold for $2.46. 8 heifers weighed 458 and brought $2.82. I was happy. Expensive hay caused me to buy cows later to shorten feeding time. The result was too many April and even May calves which ended up smaller than normal. Hopefully I am correcting that problem.

Last edited:
Today I sold calves off last year's class of BM cows. Too many late calves. They averaged weighing 451 if I subtract the 3 dinks and averaged selling for $2.72. Steers weighing 412 brought $3.10. And heifers weighing 418 sold for $2.90. That is the light end. Eight steers weighing 468 got $2.82. The 2 biggest steers weighed 575 brought $2.52. The 3 biggest heifers weighed in at 496 and sold for $2.46. 8 heifers weighed 458 and brought $2.82. I was happy. Expensive hay caused me to buy cows later to shorten feeding time. The result was too many April and even May calves which ended up smaller than normal. Hopefully I am correcting that problem.
Pretty sure ya come out ok!
What's wrong with selling younger calves if they make money like that?

Latest posts