Bull to put on super black baldies?

Help Support CattleToday:

Simmentals have a bad name for getting sick. I personally don't buy it. I also doubt you'd ever know it was there, in that cross.

Muddy":13akv3l4 said:
John SD":13akv3l4 said:
I've googled trying to find a SD Simmental breeder directory and haven't been able to come up with anything more recent that 2014 :???: On the 2014 lists I saw I could count the west river breeders on one hand. The vast majority were in east river.
Maybe they have more breeders right now and then there's commercial guys using Sim bulls on their angus cows. You probably didn't notice them, see how the sims came in black versions.

That could be so. Black Gelbieh seems to be a popular flavor of black, with "Balancer" bulls :idea:

So the super baldies are already a 3waycross?

The way I understand it, yes. The super baldy would always be a 3 way cross (either herford over brangus or angus over F-1 braford).

I understand the reasons to not retain from a 3 way cross, but If I'm trying to grow the herd and keep a few daughters from the best cows, I wanted to see what other thought would be optimal.

Again, I think I'm leaning on going back with a brangus bull.

JLScattle":3ibnkrka said:
So the super baldies are already a 3waycross?

The way I understand it, yes. The super baldy would always be a 3 way cross (either herford over brangus or angus over F-1 braford).

I understand the reasons to not retain from a 3 way cross, but If I'm trying to grow the herd and keep a few daughters from the best cows, I wanted to see what other thought would be optimal.

Again, I think I'm leaning on going back with a brangus bull.

You know where I was headed :D
I'm envious of your tiger x blk angus combo. Bet they are a nice 3way.

Bred Simmental influence cattle for 20 years... heavy influence of old-style red/whitefaced, yellow/white/spotted bulls from the 1980s... mainly bulls with high CED and MCE epds. Went back to Angus bulls almost 10 years ago... but the only good thing that brought was black haircoat. Have gone back to mostly black & black/blazefaced Simmental and solid red Shorthorn bulls; using Simmental sires as my 'calving ease' sires on heifers.

You know where I was headed :D
I'm envious of your tiger x blk angus combo. Bet they are a nice 3way.

:D Actually, I'm envious too. I might not have been clear but I don't have the baldies yet, just some middle aged angus plus cows. I'm looking to change direction slightly and plan to purchase the bladies and a new bull over the next couple of months.

I know a guy has cows half Hereford 1/4 Brahma and 1/4 Angus and uses a registered Brangus bull they all come out motley faced. Gets top dollar for heifers as replacements and top dollar for steers at the sale barn.

JLScattle":1q8bqmgn said:
What's y'alls opinion on a optimal bull to put out with super black baldies? Two questions really - what breed bull is best for marketing calves and what bull would be OK if you were to retain a few heifers?

I was thinking angus for marketing calves to reduce the ear a little. Maybe brangus for retaining a few heifers? Would most of your calves still come out as black baldies with either?

And by market, I mean here in central texas were black baldies seem to rule the sale barn.

That's exactly my thought also, based on your location

Cross-7":314gcm1b said:
JLScattle":314gcm1b said:
What's y'alls opinion on a optimal bull to put out with super black baldies? Two questions really - what breed bull is best for marketing calves and what bull would be OK if you were to retain a few heifers?

I was thinking angus for marketing calves to reduce the ear a little. Maybe brangus for retaining a few heifers? Would most of your calves still come out as black baldies with either?

And by market, I mean here in central texas were black baldies seem to rule the sale barn.

I can understand the attraction one has to produce their own brood cow.....but why is re-inventing the wheel so appealing to you? Put a bull on those baldies that will ring the bell at the sale barn and buy more F1's. :2cents:

1982vett":3ruvivzo said:
Cross-7":3ruvivzo said:
JLScattle":3ruvivzo said:

I can understand the attraction one has to produce their own brood cow.....but why is re-inventing the wheel so appealing to you? Put a bull on those baldies that will ring the bell at the sale barn and buy more F1's. :2cents:

It is cheaper to raise a heifer now than buy one. At least to top quality one and then you also know what kind of momma they had and what type of udder she had.

elkwc":2osdi6o5 said:
1982vett":2osdi6o5 said:
JLScattle":2osdi6o5 said:

It is cheaper to raise a heifer now than buy one. At least to top quality one and then you also know what kind of momma they had and what type of udder she had.

Are you sure it is really economically cheaper to pursuit retaining heifers past the Black Baldies? That is the context of my :2cents: . Will adding another breed to a crossbred gene pool likely produce fewer viable candidates for development due to less consistency in your genetic pool for the next generation....what breed makeup are you going to use on those heifers that will produce an animal of consistent quality every time...... Every time is the key here. I contend that getting 10 out of 10 good, beefy calves that put on the pounds should be the goal of every producer. When a producer uses a cross that produces just one dink calf...........boom......economically cheaper just bit you in the butt.

Latest posts