Bull to put on super black baldies?

Help Support CattleToday:

JLScattle

Reaction score
What's y'alls opinion on a optimal bull to put out with super black baldies? Two questions really - what breed bull is best for marketing calves and what bull would be OK if you were to retain a few heifers?

I was thinking angus for marketing calves to reduce the ear a little. Maybe brangus for retaining a few heifers? Would most of your calves still come out as black baldies with either?

And by market, I mean here in central texas were black baldies seem to rule the sale barn.

I'd go for the payday, and use a black sim. It's growth, and your cows milk, that should be a sale day you'll remember.

Bigfoot":2nlhfrox said:
I'd go for the payday, and use a black sim. It's growth, and your cows milk, that should be a sale day you'll remember.
:nod: A black Sim is your best bet. Great feeders and great replacements. Blaze faced Sim bull.....even better.

I will have to do some google'n on the black simmental. I know zero about them.

Will they melt in triple digits, or do they hold up?

Around here is they have any simmy whether black or not don't announce it or they will be docked.

Although I would likely go with an Angus I would use a Black Balancer before I used a Black Simmy. Again just my opinion on what performs best and sells best in this area.

elkwc":2x44zbew said:
Although I would likely go with an Angus I would use a Black Balancer before I used a Black Simmy. Again just my opinion on what performs best and sells best in this area.

Excellent choice as well.

elkwc":qf0dzy2b said:
Around here is they have any simmy whether black or not don't announce it or they will be docked.

But yet you don't list a location. Fantastic info. Sounds like its behind the times where ever it is, as simmental bulls are selling like hot cakes around the (US) country.

I probably wouldn't keep heifers out of the super baldies, but if you're going to anyway then going back with Brangus would probably be the best choice. For terminal calves, those cows will raise a good calf from most any kind of bull. Go with what sells well in your part of the country.

Thanks for all of the input.

I guess I should have also qualified what I was calling a super black baldy as some may have other definitions. I am looking at baldies from a F1 tiger cow and a black angus bull. So 1/2 angus, 1/4 herford, and 1/4 brahman.

Rafter, I was kind of leaning towards the brangus also if I were to retain any.

Supa Dexta":14fs4q2h said:
elkwc":14fs4q2h said:

But yet you don't list a location. Fantastic info. Sounds like its behind the times where ever it is, as simmental bulls are selling like hot cakes around the (US) country.
They don't here in the heart of cow and feedlot country. Being you are in Canada it is evident you are behind times on what is happening here in the USA.

JLScattle":3k6horou said:

I guess I should have also qualified what I was calling a super black baldy as some may have other definitions. I am looking at baldies from a F1 tiger cow and a black angus bull. So 1/2 angus, 1/4 herford, and 1/4 brahman.

When you said super baldy I assumed you meant a Brangus x Hereford. The ones you describe will have a little less Brahman influence, so I'd probably just go ahead and use the Brangus bull regardless of whether you're wanting replacement heifers or terminal calves.

elkwc":3qtfwnx7 said:
Supa Dexta":3qtfwnx7 said:
elkwc":3qtfwnx7 said:

They don't here in the heart of cow and feedlot country. Being you are in Canada it is evident you are behind times on what is happening here in the USA.
Simmental is still popular breed in most areas of U.S and the demand for black Sim and SimAngus is still strong. I would like to know what is your location too.

Rafter S":35a5xalz said:
I probably wouldn't keep heifers out of the super baldies, but if you're going to anyway then going back with Brangus would probably be the best choice. For terminal calves, those cows will raise a good calf from most any kind of bull. Go with what sells well in your part of the country.

My plan to keep heifers would be the same plan that produced the super baldies in the first place.

My first choice would be to put a good Charolais bull on the super baldies to product the ultimate end product. Limo, Gelb, or Sim bulls would be acceptable choices also. Balancers if you want to keep 'em more consistently black :idea:

I personally have nothing against Simmental, but they are rare as unicorns "here". Simmental was somewhat popular at one time but that time has passed.

My one and only experience with a neighbor's Simmental sired calf in the '70s was not positive. Before anyone starts in, I do realize the breed has likely come a long way since the elephant sized birthweights of the old days.

Seems like most everyone has jumped on the black bandwagon and runs a straight Angus herd anymore :???: :???: :???:

John SD":2rgyv78n said:
I personally have nothing against Simmental, but they are rare as unicorns "here". Simmental was somewhat popular at one time but that time has passed.

My one and only experience with a neighbor's Simmental sired calf in the '70s was not positive. Before anyone starts in, I do realize the breed has likely come a long way since the elephant sized birthweights of the old days.

Seems like most everyone has jumped on the black bandwagon and runs a straight Angus herd anymore :???: :???: :???:
There is good numbers of Simmental breeders in your state.

JLScattle":1p5ah7nf said:

So the super baldies are already a 3waycross?

Muddy":3mwscswt said:
John SD":3mwscswt said:

I've googled trying to find a SD Simmental breeder directory and haven't been able to come up with anything more recent that 2014 :???: On the 2014 lists I saw I could count the west river breeders on one hand. The vast majority were in east river.

In the '70s there was a local guy who sold both Angus and Simmental bulls. Maybe he still has some Simmental, but he doesn't promote them in his advertising.

John SD":2qt141he said:
Muddy":2qt141he said:
John SD":2qt141he said:

I've googled trying to find a SD Simmental breeder directory and haven't been able to come up with anything more recent that 2014 :???: On the 2014 lists I saw I could count the west river breeders on one hand. The vast majority were in east river.
Maybe they have more breeders right now and then there's commercial guys using Sim bulls on their angus cows. You probably didn't notice them, see how the sims came in black versions. Just because the bulls are black, doesn't mean they're Black Angus.

Latest posts