Breed to NOT use

Help Support CattleToday:

andybob":3ud9uwlx said:
The Highland breeders here in the UK market their cattle to high dollar niche markets as grass fed or organic, as they are low maintenence and not put into barns (and fed) the costs are very low even with a longer finishing time, and they do well on poor mountain grazing with little input.
expensive hobby":3ud9uwlx said:
mrgreen":3ud9uwlx said:
Wonder what the cape buffalo population of Africa would look like in a few years if we dumped about a hundred head of Jersey bulls out over there. :mrgreen:
Or dump a load of BA bulls out there. Eventually the Africans will not eat them until all of the Capes are black.

I read once that the Queen of England will only eat beef from a Highlander and that she has her own private herd. No idea if it is true but read that and thought it was kinda neat.

brierpatch1974":1nos76si said:
I read once that the Queen of England will only eat beef from a Highlander and that she has her own private herd. No idea if it is true but read that and thought it was kinda neat.

I've heard that too but bet she's probably been served up the house fare a few times and never knew it. She looks more like a carp eater to me. :nod:

Maybe a better question would be, "What breeds wouldn't cross well." Then people are less likely to get butt hurt over someone else's comments.

TexasBred":uuwaoge2 said:
brierpatch1974":uuwaoge2 said:

I've heard that too but bet she's probably been served up the house fare a few times and never knew it. She looks more like a carp eater to me. :nod:

Actually the Queen has a Red Poll herd and they eat Red Poll beef. :D

Hadn't looked at this thread in a while , didn't know I got somebodies huggies in a bunch . Don't take it personel Floyd , Those highland cattle are good for folks that got brush pastures and don't want goats , or somebody who doesn't want or need 1300# cattle . We've got neighbors all around us that keep a couple of off the wall stuff just for fun . Most have a Longhorn or two , some have some Corriente's , supposedly for ropeing , but never do . A guy down the road has some Highlanders that get bred angus . Those calves don't go on the bus with the rest of his 400 head , they go in his feedlot and get sold on the rail to folks in town . The Highlanders are his wifes cattle and she wears the pants. Sun's up and 3 below gotta go feed.

mlazyj":3mbbi7d4 said:
Hadn't looked at this thread in a while , didn't know I got somebodies huggies in a bunch . Don't take it personel Floyd , Those highland cattle are good for folks that got brush pastures and don't want goats , or somebody who doesn't want or need 1300# cattle . We've got neighbors all around us that keep a couple of off the wall stuff just for fun . Most have a Longhorn or two , some have some Corriente's , supposedly for ropeing , but never do . A guy down the road has some Highlanders that get bred angus . Those calves don't go on the bus with the rest of his 400 head , they go in his feedlot and get sold on the rail to folks in town . The Highlanders are his wifes cattle and she wears the pants. Sun's up and 3 below gotta go feed.

We have a bunch of those around here. Look for the dually with the aluminum cattle trailer on it parked in front of the coffee shop. They'll all be in there wearing their spurs, chaps and big hats cocked back on their head. The "do nothings" bytching about "their ain't nothing to do". :lol2:

So they hook up, get dressed up, just to look the part? If you dont have some shyt on your boots, mud on your thighs from the dog jumping up, and dents and dirt on your truck your not wotking hard enough

brierpatch1974":3d8wk11o said:

not sure about the only eating Highland beef but there is a registered Highland herd (or Fold as more properly known) at Balmoral, the summer home of the Royal Family. There was an Angus herd there during the reign of Queen Victoria and Edward V with the suffix Aberlour. The Castle of Mey herd of Angus is in the trust of the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Prince Charles (or old big ears) also has a herd of Angus at his farm Highgrove.

robert":1o94tzy0 said:
brierpatch1974":1o94tzy0 said:

not sure about the only eating Highland beef but there is a registered Highland herd (or Fold as more properly known) at Balmoral, the summer home of the Royal Family. There was an Angus herd there during the reign of Queen Victoria and Edward V with the suffix Aberlour. The Castle of Mey herd of Angus is in the trust of the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Prince Charles (or old big ears) also has a herd of Angus at his farm Highgrove.
does he do alot of inbreeding?

hooknline":3fazl7xk said:
So they hook up, get dressed up, just to look the part? If you dont have some shyt on your boots, mud on your thighs from the dog jumping up, and dents and dirt on your truck your not wotking hard enough
Yep...I thought every town had a group like this. Bale of hay in the back of the truck, an old half spool of barbwire, hot shot,rope and rifle on gunrack...Skoal Ring on the hip pocket and a set of boots up to their knees...

Interrupting this thread to say that the royal family has a herd of Red Poll, a herd of Highlands, a herd of Jerseys, and one of Ayrshires...probably some other breeds too.

The Queen's income has been frozen until 2015, so she might be tapping into some of that beef and milk. Do you think she'd like a little Dexter house cow?

Gale Seddon":32upzw2z said:
Interrupting this thread to say that the royal family has a herd of Red Poll, a herd of Highlands, a herd of Jerseys, and one of Ayrshires...probably some other breeds too.

The Queen's income has been frozen until 2015, so she might be tapping into some of that beef and milk. Do you think she'd like a little Dexter house cow?

If you've got the steaks and roasts, I'll pay the shipping. :mrgreen:

TexasBred":339vw0le said:
hooknline":339vw0le said:
Yep...I thought every town had a group like this. Bale of hay in the back of the truck, an old half spool of barbwire, hot shot,rope and rifle on gunrack...Skoal Ring on the hip pocket and a set of boots up to their knees...
ive got no place to ride my pony
:cowboy: http://www.reloadammo.com/nar-grp2.htm

Latest posts