Breed to NOT use

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1bhebrvf said:
OMG - those are insulting words!! :shock: There isn't anything about that bull that looks BB. BB's have extremely large bulging SHORT muscles and fine bone. GM's muscle goes all the way down to his hock. Does not look like a balloon attached to a stick!
Sorry, couldn't help myself!!! :p

I WILL admit...
This guy here is too much for me http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1BB00101&lang=EN
The full bloods aren't very "pretty" but it doesn't mean they can't make nice percentage calves.
I myself like thickness but don't like balloons on a stick either...

This 3/8 calf is a lot smoother. http://www.flickr.com/photos/annielsie/8229523361/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/annielsie/8230585450/in/photostream/

Sorry she's a filthy little pig in the pictures, when she wasn't at the fair she liked getting herself as dirty as possible, I swear. Still does!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2r7jjutl said:
Yes, your 3/8 doesn't have any more mucling than my PB heifers have. She looks good from that pic.

Who is your AI company?
I notice some Simmental bulls are fleshier than others.
Part of why I like GM. :)

the 3/8 heifer was from a CC bull that wasn't very impressive on muscle though. :(
I've seen better, it was a sire my niece picked, the heifer definitely got the thickness from her dam.

No "one" company - I buy from all of them and also private.
Actually, I purchase semen for all our NY Simmental members & get volume discount for everyone. All semen is shipped to me & they have to come & pick it up (in March).

Dexter. Small no growing useless excuse for Bovine.

They had a use back in the day as a small beast to sit in the hull of ships providing meat & milk to those on board. They were bred small so they didn't take up to much space.
We no longer travel by ship so unless they plan to put Dexters on a Boeing Aircraft the breed isn't relavent.

Actually beefalo have great dispositon, and great breeding ability, many even breeding up to 25 years or more. Many beefalo are so tame, they are like a big dog, they love to be petted and brushed, and many you can work without even putting through the chute.

hondo.jpg[img]  Beefalo Bull

TexasBred":2biem3at said:
hooknline":2biem3at said:
I dunno..sounded good. But honestly i meant watusi
Wonder what the cape buffalo population of Africa would look like in a few years if we dumped about a hundred head of Jersey bulls out over there. :mrgreen:

There were cattle and Cape Buffalo together in Africa before Columbus discovered North America so you have your answer. Cape Buffalo cannot be crossed with the other cattle species. Cattle have 60 chromosomes; Syncerus caffer has 52. It is one thing to cross closely related species but when the chromosome number gets too different, the species are too far removed from each other on the evolutionary tree to cross. That is my understanding on the Cape Buffalo.

"When the calf grows horns, you will fear him, Zimbaba." I love that quota from the Shaka Zulu movie. Zimbaba is the Matabele word for father or chief. Shaka was a Zulu but his rein was in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. That fracture of the Zulu tribe became the seed for the Matabele. BTW, I go by inyati13. Inyati is the Matabele word for none other than, Cape Buffalo.

Inyati, the original Bulawayo is situated in Kwazulu/Natal in South Africa, where Chaka had his capital after the defeat of the N'dwanwe faction of the n'guni people. The Bulawayo in Zimbabwe (my home town) was founded and named by Mzilikazi when he split his regiment from the Zulu nation and fled north to the present day Matabeleland, the dispute that led to the split was over a herd of cattle, their marking was of the pattern known as N'koni, cattle of this pattern were the property of the king, but Mzilikazi refused to give them up. The present day breed of the same name is from this herd.

andybob":3ay8skas said:
Inyati, the original Bulawayo is situated in Kwazulu/Natal in South Africa, where Chaka had his capital after the defeat of the N'dwanwe faction of the n'guni people. The Bulawayo in Zimbabwe (my home town) was founded and named by Mzilikazi when he split his regiment from the Zulu nation and fled north to the present day Matabeleland, the dispute that led to the split was over a herd of cattle, their marking was of the pattern known as N'koni, cattle of this pattern were the property of the king, but Mzilikazi refused to give them up. The present day breed of the same name is from this herd.

andybob, thank you. One of these two historic Zulus created the swath of scorched earth to mark their historic moves. I read that history many years ago and the books are stored. I have been to Bulawayo a few times. I have to admit my memory needs to be refreshed. But I went to the park where Cecil Rhodes is buried. What is the right word (Afrikianer) for those stone ridges (Kopies)? I love that country. I have a good friend that I still stay in touch with (Richard Brebner).

I personally wouldn't use Limousins from the ongoing saga & dramas with my neighbour they are nothing but fence jumping ass-wipes, throw in the fact the owner thinks he is the only 1 allowed to own a bull, but than again his wandering bull covers a 10km radius why do we need our own bulls when his have no respect for fences.
Anyway we have crossed with success Highland x Angus (side & rear view)
Viv_side_1.jpg
Viv_rear_1.jpg
- Ended up selling this heifer the bull + 12 others as they were all "mad as hatters"

022.jpg
and
025.jpg

we now use a Lowline bull over highland cows these heifers will be kept & crossed with Murray Grey or Square Meater bull
Any that end up with horns will have them knocked off the only cows with horns these days are the remaining 4 Highland girls

Latest posts