Breed to NOT use

Help Support CattleToday:

Gale Seddon":2zg3emvo said:
Isomade, if I were you, I'd be glad there's a little distance between Alabama and Oklahoma!
:D always look at the location before you make a crack online just in case the offended party is 6'5" 250#. :cowboy:

Isomade":10j8xhzt said:
Gale Seddon":10j8xhzt said:
Isomade, if I were you, I'd be glad there's a little distance between Alabama and Oklahoma!
:D always look at the location before you make a crack online just in case the offended party is 6'5" 250#. :cowboy:
AND about 5 miles down the road. :lol2:

I'm going to try (Belgian Blue x Highlander) x Simmental.
Opinions on that?

We already have a niche market for our lean crossbred cattle, but heard 1/4 blood highlanders make a nice amount of hair for a "show" calf.
The BB for muscle and growth and Sim for shape and growth, with a little fat cover that all the judges value here, no matter what breed the animal is... :p

Don't want to breed in more fat just for the kids' project calves when customers may end up with it and doesn't make sense to buy "unproven" when you know your own already perform well.

glacierridge":17lzko31 said:
Opinions on that?

We already have a niche market for our lean crossbred cattle, but heard 1/4 blood highlanders make a nice amount of hair for a "show" calf.
The BB for muscle and growth and Sim for shape and growth, with a little fat cover that all the judges value here, no matter what breed the animal is... :p

Don't want to breed in more fat just for the kids' project calves when customers may end up with it and doesn't make sense to buy "unproven" when you know your own already perform well.
Why Highlander? (just try to understand your idea). There's plenty of club calf bulls that have hair.

Plenty of hair on Highlanders; but also on belgian blues. Note of caution: Belgian blue influence shows very well in the first cross, in the second cross some calves get no extra muscle, while other calves are just as muscular as first cross. Highland, simmenthal and belgian blue all cross well where I live. :2cents:

Since this thread has brought up, I'm gonna say longhorn, highland, watusi and corriente....unless they are bred to a contiental bull but then it's only two-way cross.

Beefalo (fertility and disposition problems), dexter & zebu (the size) and holstein (udder size)

ANAZAZI":p2srq2ju said:
Plenty of hair on Highlanders; but also on belgian blues. Note of caution: Belgian blue influence shows very well in the first cross, in the second cross some calves get no extra muscle, while other calves are just as muscular as first cross. Highland, simmenthal and belgian blue all cross well where I live. :2cents:

Do you have pics of some of those crosses or know a link I could see?

Any female BB x Highland we were going to use SS EBONYS GRANDMASTER. Hoping that cross would carry plenty of muscle. Have you seen pics of his backside?
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=101&breed=Simmental
At first look I was almost convinced he had BB too. Lots of people who've used him say he's pretty awesome.
Worth a try?

Taurus":9c9lnopg said:
glacierridge":9c9lnopg said:
Opinions on that?

Why Highlander? (just try to understand your idea). There's plenty of club calf bulls that have hair.

Because a lot of CC bulls aren't as lean as what our customers would like... we are trying to keep the lean quality they come to us for.
If they don't end up being fair calves, they get sold to my brother's customers for beef.

glacierridge":1xbya85l said:
ANAZAZI":1xbya85l said:

Do you have pics of some of those crosses or know a link I could see?

Any female BB x Highland we were going to use SS EBONYS GRANDMASTER. Hoping that cross would carry plenty of muscle. Have you seen pics of his backside?
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=101&breed=Simmental
At first look I was almost convinced he had BB too. Lots of people who've used him say he's pretty awesome.
Worth a try?
OMG - those are insulting words!! :shock: There isn't anything about that bull that looks BB. BB's have extremely large bulging SHORT muscles and fine bone. GM's muscle goes all the way down to his hock. Does not look like a balloon attached to a stick!
Sorry, couldn't help myself!!! :p
Gale - that was an EXCELLENT POST!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":l45ee8x1 said:
OMG - those are insulting words!! :shock: There isn't anything about that bull that looks BB. BB's have extremely large bulging SHORT muscles and fine bone. GM's muscle goes all the way down to his hock. Does not look like a balloon attached to a stick!

Not if you like the BB. And I didn't say he looked like a full blood :yuck:
Most with a tad amount can be well balanced and eye catching. I think I may have to post some pics of half bloods and quarter bloods to share. :)
What looks most BB-like to me is his long body and thick (not bulbous) booty.

Taurus":3j20lfsv said:
Since this thread has brought up, I'm gonna say longhorn, highland, watusi and corriente....unless they are bred to a contiental bull but then it's only two-way cross.

Beefalo (fertility and disposition problems), dexter & zebu (the size) and holstein (udder size)
Does a yak count in as a breed to not use?

glacierridge":2g12482u said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2g12482u said:

Not if you like the BB. And I didn't say he looked like a full blood :yuck:
Most with a tad amount can be well balanced and eye catching. I think I may have to post some pics of half bloods and quarter bloods to share. :)
What looks most BB-like to me is his long body and thick (not bulbous) booty.
HaHa - love the tongue sticking out - never saw that one!!!! oh, now I see it in the Smilies

Simmental cattle for dang sure. Sorry jeanne but that simmental nut always talking about juicing hay bales and planting nothing but millet just ruined me on the breed for good.. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: JK

Stocker Steve":21ac5g59 said:
glacierridge":21ac5g59 said:

Awesome terminal cross or awesome cow maker?

Grandmaster?
He is supposed to be a top female maker. I've seen a lot of really nice calves out of him or both sexes.

Lon - don't worry - I know how great the breed is - I have broad (little) shoulders!! :lol:
Some people sure can hurt a breed trying to shove it down your throat. I let my cattle/breed speak for themselves!
Grandmaster produces good females & bulls (and feedlot steers).
Here's a 7 month old heifer - I reduced it - but you will still have to hit "Control and - (minus)":
NYSF%202012%20Zsa%20Zsa%20crop%20pix%20sm.jpg

Latest posts